Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man 2: Movie Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bingbangboom

I have midnight showing tickets for tomorrow and my girlfriend is even more excited about it than I am. It should be awesome!

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bingbangboom

Just saw it and it was awesome and fun, something alot of movies are not these days.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By robokungfu

I just got back home and was sadly disappointed.  I'm now convinced the first movie was some kind of a fluke.  It had to have been.  There was wave after wave of overacted dialog and it was punctuated by three measly action scenes.The middle of which was stupid and totally pointless.   It was like the CG department kept running out of disc space before they could make the action scenes interesting.    There is no story of which to speak.  The script was more concerned sneaking in Easter eggs for some unwatchable Avengers movie to be made in the near future than a good solid story.  However it wasn't all a terrible affair.  Downey proves once again he is born to be Tony Stark, and it's a real kick to see him REALLY enjoy being Iron Man instead of some kind of tragic figure.  Also points for Ms. Johansson busting out some moves.  But still, all the hype and we get this mess?

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I was kind of disappointed in Iron Man 2. I didn’t think it was bad, the action was outstanding...but I just didn’t feel the heart of the original. It felt very mindless and superficial, whereas to me the first had a lot of underlying ethical themes. It wasn't about the fight scenes; it was about why he was fighting. It delved into the psychology and moral dilemmas of being a weapons manufacturer, that crisis of conscience. This time around I felt more like it was a spectacle just to be a superficially cheap eye-candy event. It felt far more camp cliché blockbuster-ish and manufactured. But my biggest issue lied in the dialogue. The humor in this lacked much of the wit seen in the former; instead it's replaced with kid-friendly goofball comedy and horrible one-liners. I wouldn't say the original is devoid of that, but the seriousness of the predecessor just isn't present here. In fact, it's seriously dumbed down.

So much of the film felt like a filler issue in a comic book. While Whiplash was probably my favorite new role, he himself never felt especially threatening and was ultimately dispatched pretty quickly. It almost feels like an overindulgent Iron Man story, made less for the title character and more just as a glorified setup for the Avengers. It doesn’t feel required viewing to me in any way. Seeing what Favreau can do, I can’t help but feel he somewhat lowered himself to Hollywood Michael Bay levels. The film isn’t bad enough to say I feel betrayed, it’s rather good at accomplishing certain things, but I’d certainly say it’s disappointing enough to say claims of it failing to be a worthy sequel.  

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Chane

I thought the end battle sequence was anticlimatic and found Rockwell's Hammer more irritating than threatening, sinister or dangerous. 
    I was also saddened that Black Widow never used a Russian accent.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By SevanGrim

i loved it. it was more action and "oh $#!T" than story, but i honestly expected it to be all show and no substance when they put Scarlet in it (cuz thats basically all you get from her. Shes like the female Ashton Kutcher.Pretty, bnut nothing special outside of a role thats parallel to her everyday life).

...was that Thor they tossed in Ivans Cell and blew up?

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bingbangboom
    @Grim said:
    "  i loved it. it was more action and "oh $#!T" than story, but i honestly expected it to be all show and no substance when they put Scarlet in it (cuz thats basically all you get from her. Shes like the female Ashton Kutcher.Pretty, bnut nothing special outside of a role thats parallel to her everyday life).  ...was that Thor they tossed in Ivans Cell and blew up? "
    No, was just a random guy. Thor is not in the movie. 

I really thought it was a great movie though, not sure what people were looking for though. I think people are trying to compare it to The Dark Knight which is a much darker story, this is not that. Sure there are moments that deal with his mortality, which is the overall theme with the Stark Legacy, but I thought it was handled well. I don't really agree with the movie being a "mess" and thought the humor was there.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim
    @bingbangboom said:
    " @Grim said:
    "  i loved it. it was more action and "oh $#!T" than story, but i honestly expected it to be all show and no substance when they put Scarlet in it (cuz thats basically all you get from her. Shes like the female Ashton Kutcher.Pretty, bnut nothing special outside of a role thats parallel to her everyday life).  ...was that Thor they tossed in Ivans Cell and blew up? "
    No, was just a random guy. Thor is not in the movie.  I really thought it was a great movie though, not sure what people were looking for though. I think people are trying to compare it to The Dark Knight which is a much darker story, this is not that. Sure there are moments that deal with his mortality, which is the overall theme with the Stark Legacy, but I thought it was handled well. I don't really agree with the movie being a "mess" and thought the humor was there. "
    they already said he was in the same prison. He was getting his picture taken in the background and they acknowledge it was him. i only got a glimpse of the guy they threw in there, but it seems it would fit with the whole Thor gag running through the movie.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By danhimself

so I've got to ask who did Olivia Munn play?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Icon
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    "  

I was kind of disappointed in Iron Man 2. I didn’t think it was bad, the action was outstanding...but I just didn’t feel the heart of the original. It felt very mindless and superficial, whereas to me the first had a lot of underlying ethical themes. It wasn't about the fight scenes; it was about why he was fighting. It delved into the psychology and moral dilemmas of being a weapons manufacturer, that crisis of conscience. This time around I felt more like it was a spectacle just to be a superficially cheap eye-candy event. It felt far more camp cliché blockbuster-ish and manufactured. But my biggest issue lied in the dialogue. The humor in this lacked much of the wit seen in the former; instead it's replaced with kid-friendly goofball comedy and horrible one-liners. I wouldn't say the original is devoid of that, but the seriousness of the predecessor just isn't present here. In fact, it's seriously dumbed down.

So much of the film felt like a filler issue in a comic book. While Whiplash was probably my favorite new role, he himself never felt especially threatening and was ultimately dispatched pretty quickly. It almost feels like an overindulgent Iron Man story, made less for the title character and more just as a glorified setup for the Avengers. It doesn’t feel required viewing to me in any way. Seeing what Favreau can do, I can’t help but feel he somewhat lowered himself to Hollywood Michael Bay levels. The film isn’t bad enough to say I feel betrayed, it’s rather good at accomplishing certain things, but I’d certainly say it’s disappointing enough to say claims of it failing to be a worthy sequel.  

"
    Sadly, I felt the same way. I think one of the main problems was the new writer. If they had kept the writing team from the first film (the guys who also wrote Children of Men) then I don't think the new movie would have been dumbed down as much as it was. I still enjoyed it, and I got a kick out of seeing where they're going with these characters on the way to the Avengers, but you're right. This is not a "must see" kinda movie, unless you're a big Iron Man fan of course. 
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Icon said:
    " @MysterioMaximus said:
    "  

"
    Sadly, I felt the same way. I think one of the main problems was the new writer. If they had kept the writing team from the first film (the guys who also wrote Children of Men) then I don't think the new movie would have been dumbed down as much as it was. I still enjoyed it, and I got a kick out of seeing where they're going with these characters on the way to the Avengers, but you're right. This is not a "must see" kinda movie, unless you're a big Iron Man fan of course.  "

Whoo! And here I was starting to think I was pretty much alone around here. So many around these parts seemed to like it quite a bit. I just don't see what they're seeing, but that's me. So your post was really refreshing. However it does seem to be that a lot of outside people aren't all that wild about it. The total worst for me was just the sheer amount of comedy. The first film was funny, but at the right times. I felt this film was one step below a comedy, it had way too many humorous moments and way too few serious and especially emotional. And sadly the most emotional scenes for me, when he finds out his father did care for him, he creates the new element, and his life is saved...was completely ruined too by just a TON of corny jokes. I can't help but feel that the original writers would have played those scenes straight, no comedic value there. This flick just really lacked any and all seriousness the first one had.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By DH69

does whiplash turn into crimson dynamo by the end of the movie? cause if not who's the final fight against cause those drones look like they're gettin their asses kicked

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bingbangboom
    @DH69 said:
    " does whiplash turn into crimson dynamo by the end of the movie? cause if not who's the final fight against cause those drones look like they're gettin their asses kicked "
    Spoilers:

It is Whiplash still but he now has a full suit with bigger whips. Sorry don't know how to do the Spoilers pull down thing.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bingbangboom
    @danhimself said:
    " so I've got to ask who did Olivia Munn play? "
    She basically played herself, just a random TV reporter covering the Stark Expo.
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hellos
    @MysterioMaximus said:

"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqOZ92gklc 
     In my opinion, this is basically Iron Man 2 to a tee. "

Not sure I agree.  

Terrance Howard was just a tad angry at Marvel for not doing exactly what he wanted, so they kicked him out and slapped someone that probably is a better actor in general. (If your reading Terrance, nothing against you I just like Don's performances more, But to be fair I don't think I've quite seen all your films, so I could be wrong)

He's making a few assumptions like Rhodey never tried on the suit prior(Pretty much suggested he wanted to try it out in the last film I don't see why his best buddy wouldn't let him try it out) or that Stark didn't make the suit more easily usuable for newbies. Kept calling Iron Man's suit Iron (RAWWRRR). But I agree Pepper didn't get the same lovey dovey scenes like in her in the first film, probably going to be a few deleted scenes, like the helmet kiss, that we missed involving their relationship, but we did atleast see one near the end. That and I don't believe they upgraded the suit just to sell toys, Iron Man's whole MO revolves around multiple suits as tech gets better. 

Overall I didn't walk away with a sour taste in my mouth, instead I'm hyped for whenever next we see Tony and Thor whos cumming up next.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DH69

saw iron man 2 today TWICE, and im wondering was that really a thor cameo when stark was walkin thru the prison. cause i remember months ago there was some speculation on that and i swear that dude looked alot like chris whatshisface.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @DH69: It wasn't, I was looking for it when (and I also saw the movie twice) Tony was walking through the prison, but the scene was to fast for anyone to see it.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @bingbangboom said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " so I've got to ask who did Olivia Munn play? "
    She basically played herself, just a random TV reporter covering the Stark Expo. "
    Yeah, both myself and my father were looking for her, and when she popped up, we almost missed it because it was so random. She defiantly won't be playing the Wasp or Spider-Woman. 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DH69

coulda sworn the dude looked exactly like chris whatshisface

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @DH69: He didn't look like this:

Chris Hemsworth as Thor
    Chris Hemsworth as Thor

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DH69

same length of hair and facial hair though. although his hair did look darker

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.