Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man 2: 3-D Or Not 3-D, That Is The Question

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

3-D glasses required?
     3-D glasses required?

Back in September, Jon Favreau talked about the 3-D technology and whether or not Iron Man 2 would be in 3-D.  Favreau mentioned seeing some of James Cameron's Avatar and being excited by the 3-D technology.  Favreau then went to Marvel and talked about doing Iron Man 2 in 3-D.  The biggest drawback is making a movie in 3-D raises the costs of the film.  With Avatar making $1 billion worldwide and if you watched the movie, you can't argue that it was a successful 3-D movie.

The bad news if you like 3-D movies and are looking forward to Iron Man 2, it will not be in 3-D (as reported by Market Saw a couple weeks ago).  With the current push towards 3-D movie, this is a little surprising.  Would having Iron Man 2 in 3-D make the movie better or worse?  There is no escaping the 'new technology.'  3-D movies will soon become an industry standard, despite the number of people that say watching 3-D movies gives them headaches.

It's a little surprising that cost could be the main concern with making Iron Man 2 in 3-D.  Last week, the Philadelphia Daily News ran an article on the number of 2010 movies being released in 3-D.  You've probably heard that Alice In Wonderland and Tron Legacy, among others, will be in 3-D.  Did you know that the next Jackass movie will also be in 3-D (set for an October release)?  Making 3-D movies costs more, hence the higher ticket price.  It becomes a question of how successful a movie has to be to make the 3-D technology worth it.  If Avatar wasn't in 3-D, it wouldn't have been the same movie in my opinion (I was not impressed with the story).  

The first 3-D movie I remember seeing in theaters was Parasite back in 1982 (the movie even had a young Demi Moore in it).  3-D movies have come a long way.  Should all movies go 3-D?  What is it about 3-D movies that gives some viewers headaches and doesn't affect others?  Is Iron Man missing the boat by not being in 3-D?
    The Prez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The Prez

for me the 3D as made on Avatar is a add on, just to make deep on the places they are. But would be could see that movie doing great on the 3D, anyways I doubt pay 8.35 (thats how we pay to see a 3d movie in Puerto RIco). IM2 is gonna be great.

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By mavfan626

kewl..

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By drawme

I don´t have to watch the movie in 3D, although I wouldn´t say no when it would be a 3D one.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By They Killed Cap!

IDK...most 3d movies are needless. Few movies done in 3d live up to their potential in 3d. The only one I have seen that I respected for its use of 3d was Avatar. So i guess I would say no don't do it and save me the 3 bucks on the ticket price.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gregomasta
    @The Prez said:
    " for me the 3D as made on Avatar is a add on, just to make deep on the places they are. But would be could see that movie doing great on the 3D, anyways I doubt pay 8.35 (thats how we pay to see a 3d movie in Puerto RIco). IM2 is gonna be great. "
    $14 in Chicago for a 3d movie.
    The Prez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Prez
    @Gregomasta said:
    " @The Prez said:
    " for me the 3D as made on Avatar is a add on, just to make deep on the places they are. But would be could see that movie doing great on the 3D, anyways I doubt pay 8.35 (thats how we pay to see a 3d movie in Puerto RIco). IM2 is gonna be great. "
    $14 in Chicago for a 3d movie. "
    wow thank God I have to pay less
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz

Whether a movie is in 3-D or not doesn't determine if it'll be a success at the box office or a bust. What determines that is the actual content of the movie. I personally don't care for seeing a movie in 3-D, I'd rather see it in good old fashioned 2-D and more importantly I'd rather the movie makers were focused on making good movies, not just movies in 3-D.

Iron Man 2 not being a 3-D movie won't hurt it. What will hurt it is if the movie sucks, but so far things seem rather positive about it so I doubt it will flop. If it came out in 3-D I wouldn't mind either, I would still watch it in 2-D however :)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

I had absolutely no desire to see Avatar.  I just couldn't get excited over it from the trailer.  The only reason I saw it was to see it in 3-D (I heard a lot of "you have to see it on the big screen in 3-D," etc).  If it was not in 3-D, I'm not even sure I would've seen in on DVD or Blu-ray.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man said:
    "What is it about 3-D movies that gives some viewers headaches and doesn't affect others? "
    It's the technology that goes into making it 3D.  The best way to describe it is that you're seeing 2 pictures at the same time.  The glasses filter the two images, so the right eye sees one image, while the left eye sees the other.  It has a subconscious effect on your eyes, forcing them to strain ever so slightly... so a couple of minutes wont bother you.  But a three hour show can cause a bit of a headache. 

If it was in 3D then I'd go to see it.  The opening scenes from Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince in 3D were fun, and much better than the so-called 3D they had for Order of the Phoenix.  I'm gonna make sure I see Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D as well... I'll just make sure to pack some codeine filled painkillers with me for afterwards!
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Precise

I'm personally not a fun of those 3-D movies.. Can't really explain it but it just doesn't watch good. That didn't make any sense did it?..

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

YES! YES YES YES! 

:D I loved the 3D in "Avatar" (Great movie btw) and I would LOVE to see it in Iron Man 2! :D
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMess1428

My dad can't watch 3D movies because his left eye is glass. This tends to become a problem.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

I didn't feel like Avatar really needed to be in 3-D...there wasn't really anything that I noticed besides the computer screens and thing floating through the air 

I'm one of those people who gets a headache when I watch something in 3-D for to long and personally I think it's a fad that companies are doing just because everyone else is doing it....I'm not a fan but if it's the only way that I get to see a movie then I'll suffer through it

vuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vuki

I don't understand. James Cameron shot Avatar having in mind it'll be 3D. There were multiple cameras from different angles, so we could get realistic 3D image with depth as a result. How the hell is Favreau gonna do that ?
    Imho, he saw some big boys playing with 3D and now he wants a new toy. Back the **** off and let Iron Man 2 be 2D. End of the Story.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @xerox-kitty: My question is why does it bother some and not others?  Back in October, my daughter and I watched the double feature of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 in 3-D.  We made it through fine.  My wife, though, is not a fan of 3-D movies.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Media_Master

What the hell, do it 3-D for kicks.

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kid_Zombie

I think it would be smart to have some parts in 3D, obviously it wont be crazy 3D like some movies like Avatar (it was the first movie to use that  technology) but it is what the movies these days are heading towards might as well be part of the curve then not at all. Avatar was amazing visually but the story was terrible, just cant get past bad writing and very cheesy diologe in a movie. So it would be cool to have a good story in a crazy 3D movie as well. Ah well maybe Iron Man 3 or Thor will bring that to me.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By The_Martian

If its done the way Avatar was, then I say 3D. But I hate in most 3D movies how they make a scene just to get a 3D effect.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sora_thekey
    @G-Man said:
    " @xerox-kitty: My question is why does it bother some and not others?  Back in October, my daughter and I watched the double feature of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 in 3-D.  We made it through fine.  My wife, though, is not a fan of 3-D movies. "
    In my case I've never been fan of 3D movies because I get tiered easily... My I've only seen 2 3D movies, and it has been at theme parks... They look good, but still I get tired!

@The Prez said:
    " @Gregomasta said:
    " @The Prez said:
    $14 in Chicago for a 3d movie. "
    wow thank God I have to pay less "

Really? I have to pay the equivelent of...... $5 or $6 to see a 3D film! 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By King_Saturn
    I think Iron Man 2 will be great the way it is... we dont really need a 3-D experience for this film... and plus most 3-D experiences with films arent all that great... Avatar was great in 3-D but thats not because of the 3-D effect alone... Avatar was a great film period... so a person really wouldnt have lost a whole hell of a lot if he saw it in 2-D rather than 3-D... he actually would have saved himself maybe 4 or 5 bucks... lol 
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cmaprice

3D in Iron Man?

A world of no.

Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

Oh man Iwanted it to be 3-D

venom32708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By venom32708

just keep iron man 2-D simple and cheap because i do not want to pay 4 extra dollars for the 3-D  effect its dumb 
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Good,i only liked Avatar in 3-D i Hate any other 3-D i have seen!

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#25  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

We already have so many movies with 3-D. I wonder If this is Disney's deal with marvel, To make all of the movies 3-D? Hmm.. Don't know?   

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

After seeing Avatar 3D.... I vote YES for Iron Man 2 in 3D.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Moomin123

I'll like the film wheterh it's in 3D or not. But it would be nice to see it that way.

Ikkybooger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ikkybooger

I'm a big fan of 3D. The effect makes movies all the more real for me. It doesn't hurt my eyes in the least. Wish I could explain why it does for some people. I've seen Avatar 3 time in 3D and each time I'm amazed. It's my hope that 3D will become standard. It's unfortunate to hear that Iron Man 2 won't be 3D but I guess I can just hope for an inevitable Iron Man 3 in 3D.  

And btw, a lot of you are saying 3D is like 5 or 6 bucks more. Dunno where you're going to see these movies, but it's always been just 3 more bucks for me. Totally worth it.

Shima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shima
    the only 3-d movie I've like so far was monster vs aliens. the whole object coming at you cr@p is already old and disappointing. use the 3d to make the movie better not just to fool the viers. that's why i liked monsters vs aliens the whole thing is 3d not just some parts and they didn't do the "object coming at you" cr@p so many times.
    Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gank

I wasn't totally psyched to see Avatar, but afterward I was glad I did. Loved the 3-D and think Iron Man 2 in 3-D would be awesome as well - just imagine how sweet the flying scenes would be. They could always just wait and make the third one 3-D.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By bingbangboom

I think that this type of movie would lend itself pretty good for the 3D conversion with just how the character is. I hope Marvel decides to do this because there would be a strong possibility that it could do just as good as Avatar. The only other possibility I could think of is they re-release the movie in theaters  in 3D with additional content aka Captain America trailer or cameo, that would be like late summer or fall.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aronmorales

Meh on 3-D, 5-D IS THE WAY TO GO!!!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man said:
    " @xerox-kitty: My question is why does it bother some and not others?  Back in October, my daughter and I watched the double feature of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 in 3-D.  We made it through fine.  My wife, though, is not a fan of 3-D movies. "
    There's too many variables.  Like, does she normally wear glasses, but didn't when you saw the film?  Or does she usually suffer from migraines?  Different bodies are effected in different ways... 

I think the Toy Story 2 3D is about to come out over here... Hopefully I'll get chance to see that one too :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.