How is Iron Man so popular?

#1 Posted by Icydog (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really see why people think he's so great. I see him as just a stuck up douche. There is the whole alcoholism part of his character, but he really doesn't seem all that great.

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie. Go back to 2007, (comparably) no one cared about Iron Man.  

#3 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icydog: yes at first, he is the douche of the douche but he evolves. he begins to see the world from another perspective. plus a kick-ass suit of armor. that helped.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

The movies.
BB

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

He's awesome, even outside of the movies. That's why.

What's not to love about a "genius billionaire playboy philanthropist" in a super tech suit?

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14697 posts) - - Show Bio

He has alway been one of the top Marvel characters but he didn't have so much fans before the movies came out.

#7 Posted by SadiaVicious (133 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

He has alway been one of the top Marvel characters but he didn't have so much fans before the movies came out.

This.

#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (11482 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

yup

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icydog said:

I can't really see why people think he's so great. I see him as just a stuck up douche. There is the whole alcoholism part of his character, but he really doesn't seem all that great.

This gets the Mercy seal of approval.

#10 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icydog said:

Cause of this guy and his natural swag.

#11 Posted by Tjdes63 (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like someones never read an Iron Man comIc before. Try reading one before you judge, or huge Iron Man fans like me will be offended.

#12 Posted by Zachattack1239 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tjdes63: amen brother. Tony is a great character and always would put himself in the line of fire to protect someone he loved

#13 Posted by Enzo991 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, as a huge Iron Man fan, I found it insulting that all you see in Tony is a "Stuck up alcoholic douche bag". He is a great character who collect the envy of every one around him, and yet is flawed like any other human being.

He is a great character and was a huge inspiration to me during my childhood "and adulthood". I'm glad to see Iron Man getting the recognition he deserves.

#14 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Non-comic people like him because of the movies, that's it. Out of the Avengers bunch, he has the rebellious, snarky persona. That kind of character is always the most popular. Before the movies, people didn't know him, and a lot of people who did disliked him because of Civil War.

Wait, no. People now like him because of RDJ. Yep, that's it. Of course, I'm not talking about his long standing fans, just offering an explanation for his new popularity.

#15 Posted by The Stegman (23949 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I never did, and still don't, like comic Tony..but RDJ made me love him in the films.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

People be hatin' on Tony.

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

...I like Tony Stark...

#18 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

A playboy billionaire with tech that can rival any magic. What is not to love about the guy? Oooh I almost forgot the kickass armors.

#19 Posted by Duncan (11444 posts) - - Show Bio

People liked him before Civil War.

#20 Posted by Onemoreposter (4022 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duncan said:

Yeah, even you hardcore IM fans have to admit he was a douchebag during/immediately following the Civil War.

#21 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

He was an original Avenger, has a cool mustache, and represents a lot of the best and worst idealized traits of humanity rolled into one man (he's handsome, arrogant, rich, snide, an alcoholic, a genius, a playboy, and a futurist). The movies had a LOT to do with his recent surge in popularity, mostly thanks to Robert Downey Jr.'s charisma. He was still a popular character before, just not as much. His popularity also saw a decrease around the time of the Civil War (while Captain America's was on the rise thanks to Ed Brubaker), but recent work on his character from writers like Matt Fraction has seen him back as a top Marvel hero. I like Stark, not as much as Cap or Hawkeye, but he's still a great character.

#22 Posted by Tony_Shark (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tjdes63 said:

Sounds like someones never read an Iron Man comIc before. Try reading one before you judge, or huge Iron Man fans like me will be offended.

This ^

Also, a lot people seemed to hate him during Civil War, even though Captain America was actually on the wrong side of the argument. That's beside the point.

Iron Man has been awesome from day one.

#23 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

People just started liking Iron Man after the 2008 film because of how cool the world Tony Stark lives in...

#24 Posted by Crusader105 (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter: We just like to pretend that Civil War never happened...
#25 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

he's my favorite avenger (not counting spidey because he's better solo) but that's only cuz of the movie.

#26 Posted by americanpzycho (19 posts) - - Show Bio

A better topic would be why is Shazam so popular?

#27 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man has become so popular only because of the two films. That's all.

#28 Posted by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate to sound like an echo, but he's only popular because of the movies, he is otherwise pretty boring imo.

#29 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked Iron Man, he is a playboy, a millionaire, a drunk, rockstar, superhero and part time douche.... i want to BE him!

#30 Posted by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? I sure as hell would not want to be a douche on his level, even if means I have to be single, poor, a nobody, sober, regular Joe. He is annoying.

#31 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@ValendianKnight said:

Hate to sound like an echo, but he's only popular because of the movies, he is otherwise pretty boring imo.

ya, he is pretty boring.

#32 Posted by gfzb (32 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was good but yes IRONMAN is not a roll model at all. personally I would hate him in real life. cant think of any other superhero I can say that about. I think Ironman 3 will be a financial success but it will not be a good movie

#33 Posted by SoA (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@Duncan said:

Yeah, even you hardcore IM fans have to admit he was a douchebag during/immediately following the Civil War.

yeah , for me its a love/hate thing.

#34 Posted by Narok24 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: He's still a feminist, fascist, genocidal scumbag who betrayed his friends to a power mongering government, caused (along with Reed Richards and Hank Pym) the death of Bill Foster, nearly killed Peter Parker, turned super villains into his personal police force (guess how well that went), turned the government over to NORMAN OSBORN . . . need I go on?

#35 Posted by tiger26 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tony_Shark said:

@Tjdes63 said:

This ^

Also, a lot people seemed to hate him during Civil War, even though Captain America was actually on the wrong side of the argument. That's beside the point.

Iron Man has been awesome from day one.

yes he has

#36 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if we all had the same favorites Marvel and DC would have like 5 characters a piece. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't a great character deserving of a fan base.

#37 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4527 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icydog: The same can be said of a man walking around dressed as Bat, But it's the way it is. Ironman is a great hero, and so is bats, but the alcoholism thing with Tony Stark/Ironman is very real and there are many readers who can relate to the problems associated with alcoholism, and the desruction it causes. This make the character realistic and like you or me a flawed invidual, who is trying to make things bette in life.

#38 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Nailed it.

Prior to this, no one gave 2 cents about Iron Man. He was considered A-list by only die hard fans.

#39 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Never liked any Iron man comics. Everyone I read is just Iron man vs some kind of iron based villain. It's boring now. I do like Iron man in the movies though mostly due to Robert Downey Jr.

#40 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Malignant binge drinker.

#41 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

#42 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6637 posts) - - Show Bio

MOVIES and ROBERT DOWNEY JR.

#43 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

#44 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.