Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11208 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

First time Comic book reader with questions

drewraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drewraffe

Okay, I'm 22, never picked up a comic book in my entire life. But I need a hobby and after seeing Iron Man 1,  I started reading about everything. The entire Universe has gained my interest and I want to start reading some comic books. Now... this could be a short timed hobby, or this could be something I really get into. 

But Iron Man is my favorite out of all of the Super Heros I have researched and looked at. Where should I start? There are so many comic books out there I just need help being pointed into the right direction.  

Thanks!

ThunderShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By ThunderShade

Depends, do want to read the old timey classic stuff or follow the more recent stories?

drewraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By drewraffe

Forgive me if I ask stupid questions. Would I be able to jump right in with the new stuff or would you suggest reading how he became Iron Man, obviously, if the movie is correct I know that story. Are their newer versions of the original story?

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LT1085
    @drewraffe:
    Extremis might be a good start. It was an amazing arc; Excellent story telling and art. and continue from there, shouldn't take too long to catch up.
    ThunderShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderShade

To my knowledge his origin never changed in the comics but if you get some of the more recent stuuf in their collections, that should bring you up to speed. I'm no expert on the character but you might be able to find a list of what order to read Iron Man stuff in)

drewraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By drewraffe
    @LT1085: What is the Directors Cut of Extremis?
    ThunderShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThunderShade

Yeah, Extremis is a good starting point, the Directors Cut isn't needed though.

drewraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By drewraffe
    @ThunderShade: Is it the same thing as the original because on ebay its cheaper... I don't have tons of money.
    Rob.H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rob.H

I recommend going back and picking up the Essentials.  Yes, they're in b/w, but the stories are awesome.

ThunderShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThunderShade
    @drewraffe: The Directors Cut is just the one issue, its like the special features of  a comic book, little else. Its not the actual story.
    Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
    TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMarvelFanboy
    @ThunderShade said:
    "Yeah, Extremis is a good starting point, the Directors Cut isn't needed though. "

i agree. I heard the new "Avengers #1" was realy good too.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`

If you got back two issues you can jump right into the new run. But if you just want some recent backstory I would pick up Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1 The Five Nightmares, that's the start of the current books. And then there is the Wost Wanted Omnibus, which is definitely cheaper to get then getting all the back issues for World's Most Wanted.

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pepperr

I'd say if you really want to enjoy it, read when he got his modular armor til now. I love that stuff

frijolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By frijolie

I just started reading Iron Man and with the Worlds Most Wanted arc and I have been fine. It really doesn't take that long to catch up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.