Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Extremis and Bleeding Edge armor explanation?

Iron_Man_Mk725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iron_Man_Mk725

Can someone please describe, in detail, the abilities of these 2 armors in a context that would explain it to someone who has only seen the movies and has skimmed comics? I'm trying to get into comics but there's not much in my area. Also, the new movie may include the nanotechnology armor so I need an experienced person to fill me in on these armors, in conflicted because i have no idea how they would bring it to the big screen.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Just pick up Iron Man: Extremis and Matt Fraction's run through Amazon.

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zachattack1239

@Iron_Man_Mk725: Back in 2005 good ol' Warren Ellis and Adi Granov teamed up to create arguably the most drastic advancement in Tony's armor, the extremis armor. The basis of the story was that there was this guy named Mallen who had obtained the Extremis enhancile that was developed over at futurepharm labs by the creative minds of Maya Hansen and Aldrich Killian (who are both gonna be in iron man 3). The enhancile pretty much took your nervous system and completely replaced with something that would turn Mallen into an out of control, but powerful monster. Tony flew over to confront Mallen but he got completely destoryed. Tony realized that the only way he would beat him is to use extremis himself but in a more controlled manner and under the supervision of the co-creator, Maya Hansen. After the process, Tony was completely one with technology. It enabled him to control his iron man armor with his mind so he could telepathically summon his armor and it would come flinging on to him. It also did stuff such as being able to make phone calls with his mind and see through satellites. It also made his mind into a hard drive which is explained in detail during the world's most wanted arc back in 2009 i believe. Tony was more powerful than Mallen now so he confronted him again and begrudgingly had to end his life.

The Bleeding Edge armor took the extremis concept and took it to the next level. His armor was stored inside of the hollow of the bones and he could mentally command it to come out of his skin whenever he pleased. The armor is extremely powerful and it's the armor Tony is currently using. It was created by Tony and also with a little help from Reed Richards. It can lift up to 500 tons (with boot jets activated) and fly up to speeds like 5 miles per second. You can read about the creation of the armor in Iron Man #500. I hope i helped ya

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MadRooster81

@Zachattack1239: Couldn't have said it better. Great Explanation. Extremis is the first story arc I read a few years ago and have been loving the direction of Iron Man since. Warren Ellis and Adi Grano did a wonderful job!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.