Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

During Civil War..

• 52 results
    Darkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Darkerman

Would you consider Iron Man betrayed/turned his back on his fellow heroes or did what he had to do?

Darkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Darkerman

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

Iron Man really did betray the other heroes, he thought he was doing good but he did it in the most asshole way possible 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

Good concept, bad plan and carry through.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @joshmightbe said:
    Iron Man really did betray the other heroes, he thought he was doing good but he did it in the asshole way possible 
    this.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Iron Man did some things wrong. But the registration act was right.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

It could have worked if they didn't go after non-registered heroes as hard as they did. If it had been an actual Avengers initiative. Join with us, you don't have to reveal your identity but we'll train you so Stamford doesn't happen again. Forcing people with powers who had no intention of becoming vigilantes like Cloud 9 was very wrong.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @PrinceIMC said:
    It could have worked if they didn't go after non-registered heroes as hard as they did. If it had been an actual Avengers initiative. Join with us, you don't have to reveal your identity but we'll train you so Stamford doesn't happen again. Forcing people with powers who had no intention of becoming vigilantes like Cloud 9 was very wrong.
    Active heroes weren't hunted. Firestar stopped being a hero because of the SHRA and wasn't hunted, to my knowledge.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @JediXMan: I think she actually went into hiding. Though that might have been more to do with being a former New Warrior. But there are people like Cloud 9 who had no interest in being a hero but was forced to sign up with the initiative. I think Luke Cage would have stopped being a hero if they would have left him alone, but they didn't. They tried to get him while he was buying milk for his baby and he already had a public identity.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @PrinceIMC said:
    @JediXMan: I think she actually went into hiding. Though that might have been more to do with being a former New Warrior. But there are people like Cloud 9 who had no interest in being a hero but was forced to sign up with the initiative. I think Luke Cage would have stopped being a hero if they would have left him alone, but they didn't. They tried to get him while he was buying milk for his baby and he already had a public identity.
    Well yeah. Being a former New Warrior would require one to go into hiding - mainly from citizens.

No. Luke said he wouldn't stop because he was "all his neighborhood had" or something to that effect. Also, they attacked him in his home.
    Devias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Devias
    @JediXMan said:
    I agree to an extent. There wasn't supposed to be a villain in Civil War; and perhaps Iron Man wouldn't have been regarded as one had the writers not written him as an asshole.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Devias said:
    @JediXMan said:
    I agree to an extent. There wasn't supposed to be a villain in Civil War; and perhaps Iron Man wouldn't have been regarded as one had the writers not written him as an asshole.
    Funny thing is, it was actually the writer's intention to paint Tony as the hero, not Steve.
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By StarKiller809

I loved Iron Man until Civil War. I think that he was suck a jerk and was hoping that Civil War wouldn't destory my love for the character, but I think it did. I'm starting to like him more and more but I still think he was totally wrong.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrinceIMC

They really should have had the anti-reg side make more mistakes for it to be a bit more even.

VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VenomX10

The Super Human Registration Act not only made costumed heros reveal their identiy (which put all their loved ones in danger) but it would have made them work for the government, meaning they would be fighting petty crime like most heros would, they would only work on bigger cases. Iron Man thought that this was a good idea, but I think he was thinking more of regaining a public image rather than protecting the people, unlike Cap, who was thinking of heros personal freedoms.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @VenomX10 said:

The Super Human Registration Act not only made costumed heros reveal their identiy (which put all their loved ones in danger) but it would have made them work for the government, meaning they would be fighting petty crime like most heros would, they would only work on bigger cases. Iron Man thought that this was a good idea, but I think he was thinking more of regaining a public image rather than protecting the people, unlike Cap, who was thinking of heros personal freedoms.

Iron Man doesn't need a bigger public image. Heroes need training. Also, what gives heroes the right to run around fighting crime as they see fit?
    VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VenomX10

Most of the heros DO have training, but didnt want to register because the government would tell them how to fight crime, and if Im not mistaken, Iron Man did the same thing as most heros before the Civil War

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
    @JediXMan: But what gave the government the right to force people to register even if they had no interest in even being a super hero?
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Iron Man was doing what he thought was right, which in itself is a very heroic motivation. However, he made some aggressively poor decisions, and rather than admit his mistakes and possibly step down, he simply became more obsessively committed to those poor decisions, which led to even worse decisions. He became so focused on winning the fight that he lost sight of what the fight was really about. The defining moment for me, as far as Civil War Iron Man is concerned, is when he broke down sobbing over Cap's corpse, and admitted (to himself, at least) that his "victory" hadn't been worth the cost.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Mechanical_Ape said:
    @JediXMan: But what gave the government the right to force people to register even if they had no interest in even being a super hero?
    They're elected officials of the state. Also, I'm pretty sure the nation-wide poll (in the comic) said that most people were happy with the SHRA. And I don't remember any (except for this Clioud 9 incident) actually being hunted. In fact, I think that was an option: if you want to remain active, you have to register.

@VenomX10 said:

Most of the heros DO have training, but didnt want to register because the government would tell them how to fight crime, and if Im not mistaken, Iron Man did the same thing as most heros before the Civil War

The New Warriors were irresponsible. Somebody needs to tell that kid who woke up with laser beam eyes that he can't just go and beat up criminals. 

@Edamame said:
    Well, I didn't really approve of Iron Man's methods in this event  His goals and plans appeared to be too bureaucratic for me, despite the fact that he thought he was doing something "good" for everyone. 
    I agreed with the registration act, but I think Tony did it incorrectly.
    VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VenomX10

The only reason the registration act was even proposed was because the people were angry after the Latvarian attack on New York. Plus, and I dont know if this was just in the game or in the actual comics, but it was Iron Man's idea to use super powerd villains (under the influence of Nanite control) to fight the White Stars
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Green Skin

The SHRA had the right idea, but they took it to far.  It wasn't about training heroes, it was about controlling them.  The initiative didn't create better heroes, it made soldiers.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @VenomX10 said:
    The only reason the registration act was even proposed was because the people were angry after the Latvarian attack on New York. Plus, and I dont know if this was just in the game or in the actual comics, but it was Iron Man's idea to use super powerd villains (under the influence of Nanite control) to fight the White Stars
    ..... you played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, didn't you?

That's not how it went.
    VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VenomX10

The government basicly tried to do the same thing Ross tried to do with the Hulk: Create the ultimate army
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

For the record:

The attack on New York wasn't what did it. It was the Stamford incident.
    There are no such things as White Stars

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Edamame said:
    @JediXMan said:
    For the record:  The attack on New York wasn't what did it. It was the Stamford incident. There are no such things as White Stars
    Yeah. I thought it was triggered because of Nitro's explosion in Stamford, Connecticut.
    It was.
    odinforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By odinforce
    iron man did what he had to. heroes are supposed to make sacrifices for the good of the ppl. even if it means revealing their identity. i mean lets remember, you got the smartest guys in marvel working with the registration (tony, reed richards and hank pym). they know what theyre doing
    Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Malonius

Why wasn't it made clear that superheroes could maintain a covert identity? We have thousands of special forces and spies whose names are not publicly known and who aren't allowed to talk about their jobs even with their spouses. SHIELD could easily have created fake job cover stories so superheroes neighbors didn't know what their jobs were. Peter Parker revealed his identity publicly to show how much he believed it was the right thing to do, not because he had to. He just had to reveal his identity to SHIELD.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By cody1984
    @JediXMan said:

@Devias said:

@JediXMan said:
    Funny thing is, it was actually the writer's intention to paint Tony as the hero, not Steve.
    Yeah and Tony Stark doing what he did actually made sense.   

Darkerman Captain America acted like a complete idiot and was already registered with government so he being the leader of the resistance I thought was pretty dumb.  I really don't get why people paint Iron Man as the bad guy or the registration act as wrong because God only knows how many people have been killed by super powered morons in comics and the trillions of dollars worth of damage they caused.  Really a lot of superheroes are living WMDs and more than a few of them that aren't are more dangerous than Infantry platoon so the government wanting to keep track of them is completely understandable.   Not to mention the America people petitioned congress for the legislation and was passed with overwhelming support.   

Devias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devias
      @odinforce said:

iron man did what he had to. heroes are supposed to make sacrifices for the good of the ppl. even if it means revealing their identity. i mean lets remember, you got the smartest guys in marvel working with the registration (tony, reed richards and hank pym). they know what theyre doing

If they did, Goliath wouldn't have died.

@cody1984 said:

@JediXMan said:

@Devias said:

@JediXMan said:

Darkerman Captain America acted like a complete idiot and was already registered with government so he being the leader of the resistance I thought was pretty dumb.  I really don't get why people paint Iron Man as the bad guy or the registration act as wrong because God only knows how many people have been killed by super powered morons in comics and the trillions of dollars worth of damage they caused.  Really a lot of superheroes are living WMDs and more than a few of them that aren't are more dangerous than Infantry platoon so the government wanting to keep track of them is completely understandable.   Not to mention the America people petitioned congress for the legislation and was passed with overwhelming support.   

I agree with the Superhuman Registration Act, even more so after the Stamford incident. However, it seems that the writers went out of their way to make Iron Man and his teammates look like the bad guys. I mean, c'mon they built a clone Thor and it killed Bill Foster. That's a great way to respect Thor's memory. Sure, it was unintentional but it definitely made the resistant look more sympathetic.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cody1984
    @Devias said:
      @odinforce said:

If they did, Goliath wouldn't have died.

@cody1984 said:

@JediXMan said:

@Devias said:

@JediXMan said:

I agree with the Superhuman Registration Act, even more so after the Stamford incident. However, it seems that the writers went out of their way to make Iron Man and his teammates look like the bad guys. I mean, c'mon they built a clone Thor and it killed Bill Foster. That's a great way to respect Thor's memory. Sure, it was unintentional but it definitely made the resistant look more sympathetic.
    I do agree there were some WTF moments for the registration side but I still don't get how people view them as evil like they do on here.  
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Tony turned into a dictatorial douchebag during that event.  I still haven't been able to like Iron Man since Civil War.
    Because of the SHRA, Aunt May was shot. That's a really good way to protect the innocent. 

ANTI-REG ALL THE WAY.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @joshmightbe said:
    Iron Man really did betray the other heroes, he thought he was doing good but he did it in the most asshole way possible 
    This.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

There have already been several topics on this issue. The fact is, Iron Man was somewhat portrayed as the villain in all of this. Though this isn't exactly what he wanted. He did what he felt needed to be done for the greater good. Even if he didn't like doing it himself. Etc etc.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Gambit1024

While the SHRA was probably the right thing to do, the way Tony did things was highly erratic and harsh. He could've easily done many things without all the violence, chaos, and casualties. Yes, he betrayed some of his closest allies and even pushed them to extremes just so he can look better. Spider-Man is a perfect example of the latter. Tony pushed him to reveal himself to the world just so Peter can inspire the younger heroes for Tony's own benefit. Not only did he put Peter in danger, but he was (while not directly) responsible for Aunt May getting shot and the events of OMD/BND (which I don't even know if it's still canon). 

It's Tony's fault for Bill Foster's death, Steve Rogers's blood was on Tony's hands, and the same careless decision making was responsible for the Skrull Invasion.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Kairan1979
    @JediXMan

And I don't remember any (except for this Clioud 9 incident) actually being hunted.

Check Thunderbolts comic books. You'll see a lot of superheroes hunted down. You'll see the atrocities committed by the supervillains to enforce SHRA. How do you justify Thunderbolts mining the parking lot and framing Jack Flag for it? Or Venom biting Steel Spider's arm off?  
    @cody1984

Captain America acted like a complete idiot and was already registered with government so he being the leader of the resistance I thought was pretty dumb.

When Maria Hill tried to arrest him BEFORE the Act passed (because he refused to hunt down his comrades), it became clear for him that the Act is going to be the enormous violation of civil rights.

God only knows how many people have been killed by super powered morons in comics and the trillions of dollars worth of damage they caused

And how many people were killed by morons from the government who abused their power, because the government created horrible superhuman weapons, including infamous Sentinels?
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cody1984
    @Kairan1979 said:
    @JediXMan

And I don't remember any (except for this Clioud 9 incident) actually being hunted.

Check Thunderbolts comic books. You'll see a lot of superheroes hunted down. You'll see the atrocities committed by the supervillains to enforce SHRA. How do you justify Thunderbolts mining the parking lot and framing Jack Flag for it? Or Venom biting Steel Spider's arm off?  
    @cody1984

Captain America acted like a complete idiot and was already registered with government so he being the leader of the resistance I thought was pretty dumb.

When Maria Hill tried to arrest him BEFORE the Act passed (because he refused to hunt down his comrades), it became clear for him that the Act is going to be the enormous violation of civil rights.

God only knows how many people have been killed by super powered morons in comics and the trillions of dollars worth of damage they caused

And how many people were killed by morons from the government who abused their power, because the government created horrible superhuman weapons, including infamous Sentinels?

He was disobeying a direct command by an officer who outranked him.  Supes violate civil rights everyday beating people up in costumes not obeying the law and keeping their identity a secret.  So if an ordinary innocent citizen gets beaten to a pulp by a super powered villain or hero (this does happen at times) they have no legal options here since the supes violate the law and they keep their identities a secret which means an ordinary person has no legal action they can take against the super powered idiot.  Not mention these morons are walking WMDs so the government getting there ass to register makes perfect sense.   

If super powered beings cooperated with the government in the first place things such as sentinels wouldn't have been created.  Yes I'm blaming the super powered idiots for bringing things like sentinels upon themselves since they didn't show the government they were trust worthy and the government took steps to ensure they could stop the idiots if they became hostile. 

VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VenomX10
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Tony turned into a dictatorial douchebag during that event.  I still haven't been able to like Iron Man since Civil War. Because of the SHRA, Aunt May was shot. That's a really good way to protect the innocent.   ANTI-REG ALL THE WAY.

Proof that the SHRA wasnt a good idea, Aunt May got shot because the government mad Spider-Man reveal that he was Peter Parker, meaning that all his villains could find his loved ones and use that against him. The same goes for all the heros with secret identities. 

Even if the government did require all, "Costumed" Heroes to register, would they there fore be hypcritical, because they mask the Idenity of many of their own, including CIA operatives and Special Forces, soldiers, etc. etc.

and finally....ANTI-REG
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Kairan1979 said:
    @JediXMan

I meant NON-ACTIVE heroes. I want to know what NON-ACTIVE HEROES were hunted. I know full well active, non-registered heroes were hunted. And the acts of the Thunderbolts are the fault of Norman Osborn. And yes, I already said that Tony Stark made mistakes.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @VenomX10 said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Tony turned into a dictatorial douchebag during that event.  I still haven't been able to like Iron Man since Civil War. Because of the SHRA, Aunt May was shot. That's a really good way to protect the innocent.   ANTI-REG ALL THE WAY.
    Proof that the SHRA wasnt a good idea, Aunt May got shot because the government mad Spider-Man reveal that he was Peter Parker, meaning that all his villains could find his loved ones and use that against him. The same goes for all the heros with secret identities.  Even if the government did require all, "Costumed" Heroes to register, would they there fore be hypcritical, because they mask the Idenity of many of their own, including CIA operatives and Special Forces, soldiers, etc. etc. and finally....ANTI-REG
    So the loved ones of the heroes are more important than civilian lives, who are at risk of more incidents like Stamford?
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kairan1979
    @cody1984

He was disobeying a direct command by an officer who outranked him. 

And where exactly it was stated that Maria Hill outranked Captain America?

Supes violate civil rights everyday beating people up in costumes not obeying the law and keeping their identity a secret.  

Because the law is not a justice. And the importance of keeping secret identity was already explained thousand times. I don't want to repeat it.

which means an ordinary person has no legal action they can take against the super powered idiot

Hello? What's the difference in civilian harmed by masked or unmasked character? Mask only cover the face, but there are different means to figure out whose fault it was. Just watch CSI.

Not mention these morons are walking WMDs so the government getting there ass to register makes perfect sense.    

The government is scared that superheroes look around one day and say: "No more oil wars!" And they want superpowered soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan. So forcing superheroes to registed makes sense for them... but not for superheroes who refuse to be puppets.

If super powered beings cooperated with the government in the first place things such as sentinels wouldn't have been created.

Next time you are going to say that concentration camps for mutants were the great idea too.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Kairan1979 said:
    @cody1984

Supes violate civil rights everyday beating people up in costumes not obeying the law and keeping their identity a secret.  

Because the law is not a justice. And the importance of keeping secret identity was already explained thousand times. I don't want to repeat it.

which means an ordinary person has no legal action they can take against the super powered idiot

Hello? What's the difference in civilian harmed by masked or unmasked character? Mask only cover the face, but there are different means to figure out whose fault it was. Just watch CSI.

Not mention these morons are walking WMDs so the government getting there ass to register makes perfect sense.    

The government is scared that superheroes look around one day and say: "No more oil wars!" And they want superpowered soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan. So forcing superheroes to registed makes sense for them... but not for superheroes who refuse to be puppets.

If super powered beings cooperated with the government in the first place things such as sentinels wouldn't have been created.

Next time you are going to say that concentration camps for mutants were the great idea too.
    great points sir.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cody1984
    @VenomX10 said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Proof that the SHRA wasnt a good idea, Aunt May got shot because the government mad Spider-Man reveal that he was Peter Parker, meaning that all his villains could find his loved ones and use that against him. The same goes for all the heros with secret identities.  Even if the government did require all, "Costumed" Heroes to register, would they there fore be hypcritical, because they mask the Idenity of many of their own, including CIA operatives and Special Forces, soldiers, etc. etc. and finally....ANTI-REG

No they work for the government so them keeping what they do a secret is legal in every sense of the word and necessary due to the line of work they do.  Supes on the other hand have no excuse as to why they don't let the government know who they are.  

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cody1984
    @Kairan1979 said:
    @cody1984

Maria Hill ran shield and Captain America worked for Shield so yeah she outranked him. 

The government wanted to know who was who not expose the identities of superheroes to the entire planet so they could've kept their secret identity.  Keeping their secret identity is no excuse for violating the registration act. 

Hello?  The police can track people wearing a mask someone who reads peoples’ minds and possible kills people by telepathy is much harder to do so.  The CSI response does nothing for magic users either. 

Oh that is such a BS response.  The fifty state initiative proves my point on that matter.  Also they are already supes serving in current wars Gauntlet comes to mind.   

If you’re talking about Genosha then no.  However, the government building robots to deal with mutants who could level cities is completely justifiable.  

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kairan1979
    @cody1984

and Captain America worked for Shield

Captain America worked WITH Shield, not FOR Shield. He could have SHIELD clearance, but that doesn't make him one of the agents (like Erk o'Grady, for example). Nick Fury asked Cap for help, but I don't remember him ORDERING Cap around.

The government wanted to know who was who

And this knowledge can be used to blackmail superheroes into doing something. Can you trust a bunch of government types with the information like that? I know I won't.

The police can track people wearing a mask someone who reads peoples’ minds and possible kills people by telepathy is much harder to do so.  The CSI response does nothing for magic users either. 

The police can't handle supercriminals even if their secret identities are known. They could create Special Crimes Units from superpowered agents to deal with them. Still nothing to do with Registration Act.

The fifty state initiative proves my point on that matter.

Initiative? You mean killing cadets and then forcing everybody to keep silence about it? Cloning Scarlet Spiders? Creating KIA clone that nearly destroyed Camp Hammond? Turning teenagers into human weapons (Cloud 9 and Trauma are prime examples)? Or you are talking about The Order, the team of celebrities that failed miserably when Stane Jr. decided to fuffle Tony Stark's feathers?
    The acid test of Fifty States Initiative was Secret Invasion. After the Invasion it was clear that the system doesn't work.

Also they are already supes serving in current wars Gauntlet comes to mind.  

Gauntlet was a supersoldier from the start. He is not a superhero.

However, the government building robots to deal with mutants who could level cities is completely justifiable. 

Funny thing. When they try to use Sentinels to protect lives, not to wreak havok and kill mutants, the decision always backfire. The idea of O.N.E. using Sentinels to guard Xavier's Institute is a prime example. Sentinels weren't able to protect the Institute, but they were perfect when they neededto destroy it.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PrinceIMC

Captain America actually kinda outranked Maria Hill. When they formed the New Avengers he pointed out he had clearance to form a team whenever, and however he wants with whomever he wants. He informed SHIELD as a courtesy. 

If it had been a project set up by the Avengers to train superhumans it would have worked out much better but it was essentially saying anyone who wants to be a hero has to learn to be a soldier.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cody1984
    @Kairan1979

Captain America worked WITH Shield, not FOR Shield. He could have SHIELD clearance, but that doesn't make him one of the agents (like Erk o'Grady, for example). Nick Fury asked Cap for help, but I don't remember him ORDERING Cap around. 

I seem to remember Nick Fury bossing the Avengers around during decimation.   

And this knowledge can be used to blackmail superheroes into doing something. Can you trust a bunch of government types with the information like that? I know I won't. 

Same way your social security number, drivers license, birth certificate, credit rating, criminal history, if you own weapon, etc which the government keeps on file so I don't get the point here.  Whether anyone likes it or not the government already has a ton of information on people already.  Knowing who has superpowers makes sense since you have to register firearms and quite a few of the supes have powers that put conventional firearms to shame.    

The police can't handle supercriminals even if their secret identities are known. They could create Special Crimes Units from superpowered agents to deal with them. Still nothing to do with Registration Act. 

Actually it does.  If you have super powered special crime unit they would gather intelligence on people with super powers and any additional information they could get would be useful since it makes tracking down who committed a crime much easier.   

Initiative? You mean killing cadets and then forcing everybody to keep silence about it? Cloning Scarlet Spiders? Creating KIA clone that nearly destroyed Camp Hammond? Turning teenagers into human weapons (Cloud 9 and Trauma are prime examples)? Or you are talking about The Order, the team of celebrities that failed miserably when Stane Jr. decided to fuffle Tony Stark's feathers? 
    The acid test of Fifty States Initiative was Secret Invasion. After the Invasion it was clear that the system doesn't work.

They didn't go kill for oil in other countries as you claimed.  The idea behind the initiative made a lot of sense however dark reign is what really killed it not the secret invasion.   

Gauntlet was a supersoldier from the start. He is not a superhero. 

There's a difference?  Seemed to me like he was acting like a super hero who was in the military would.  Captain America is a super soldier so is he not a superhero in your eyes? 

Funny thing. When they try to use Sentinels to protect lives, not to wreak havok and kill mutants, the decision always backfire. The idea of O.N.E. using Sentinels to guard Xavier's Institute is a prime example. Sentinels weren't able to protect the Institute, but they were perfect when they neededto destroy it.

Yup just like Magneto and his war on humans didn't work either and was one of the main reasons why they kept building the things.  Like I said before if supes wanted to get the government and people to trust them they should've been more open to them and not secretive like the X-Men were in the beginning and are now.  I could go on about the government knowing that Xavier brain washed people and did other unethical things like hiring Mystique a known terrorist to work for him if you like.   

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cody1984
    @PrinceIMC said:
    If it had been a project set up by the Avengers to train superhumans it would have worked out much better but it was essentially saying anyone who wants to be a hero has to learn to be a soldier.
    Actually they were training them to be super powered cops not soldiers.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.