Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

does anyone elese think tony stark is a complete douche?

• 58 results
    Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Powerzone789

lets see, there was armor wars, he's a never recovering alcoholic. he supported the registration act, arrested captain america, cloned thor that led to the death of bill foster, and was too weak to prevent norman osborn from gaining control...AND he still argues with steve now that steve has his old job....

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I'm not his biggest fan, but I know a lot of people on here are; so get ready for flaming :)

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

Yeah. But that's kinda the point of Tony.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Oh come on, love him or hate him can anyone honestly look at that picture and think he's not at least a little of a douchebag

No Caption Provided
    gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gambit987

I like him. It's a man with a lot of troubles. but He doesn't drink anymore (maybe a few times) and he really trise to be better person but sometimes he takes the "wrong" chose and sometimes his arogant side emerges. Read the invincible Iron Man stories by Matt Fraction and you see his reel feelings and his inner layers.
    (ps. he is number 1 on my favorite superhero list)

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Mediant
    @Crom-Cruach: Exactly. I like him and I think he's a douche. Definitely not mutually exclusive feelings.
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VIZION2011

I love him becuase he's a douche and not your typical boring hero

-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By -chapel-
    @Powerzone789:

I'm so glad some one finally said this. I really never liked Iron Man all that much as a character. My brothers loves him and through out the years I would only snag his War Machine comics if I wanted to read some Iron Man stuff. The whole Civil War arc was pretty lame IMO anyway. Well, the Iron Spider was dope but....
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xybernauts

Well I like the comic book version. He made mistakes, but I thought it was real cool how he took charge. He wanted to police the situation in the Civil War because he didn't want someone who was less sympathetic to the plight of superheros to take the helm.  

Are you sure that your not associating the image of Tony as portrayed by   Robert Downey Jr., and projecting it onto all portrayals of Tony Stark; because honestly I thought Tony Stark in Iron Man 2 was a massive douche.  Downey's portrayal in Iron Man was cool though. 

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xybernauts said:

Are you sure that your not associating the image of Tony as portrayed by   Robert Downey Jr., and projecting it onto all portrayals of Tony Stark; because honestly I thought Tony Stark in Iron Man 2 was a massive douche.  Downey's portrayal in Iron Man was cool though. 

"
    I'm doing that all the time now. I'm really trying hard to stop; it's the sole source of my animosity towards Tony. I found Stark to be an insufferable A-hole in IM 2. I preferred Justin Hammer lol.
    Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Powerzone789
    @-chapel- said:
    " @Powerzone789: I'm so glad some one finally said this. I really never liked Iron Man all that much as a character. My brothers loves him and through out the years I would only snag his War Machine comics if I wanted to read some Iron Man stuff. The whole Civil War arc was pretty lame IMO anyway. Well, the Iron Spider was dope but.... "
    i akways preferred war machine..i think i jus like rhodeys character. @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @xybernauts said:

"
    I'm doing that all the time now. I'm really trying hard to stop; it's the sole source of my animosity towards Tony. I found Stark to be an insufferable A-hole in IM 2. I preferred Justin Hammer lol. "
    me too haha i still have to see iron man 2 but robert downy jr. was like...ya he just is tony stark@harleenquinzel10 said:
    " hes supposed to be a bit ignorant, but i dont think hes a douche. I mean, most of the time hes just trying to do the right thing, thats the point of being a superhero. if he was a douche, hed be a villian. simple as that. "
    true thats what all heroes try to do...but i think he poulls off the douche while still doing it
    Avatar image for harleenquinzel10
    harleenquinzel10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By harleenquinzel10
    @Powerzone789:
    i guess thats true, but like i said before, hes just an ignorant person who is used to getting everything he wants. I suppose that could come over as "douchey" but i definatly dont think he realizes it.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By danhimself
    @Powerzone789 said:
    " lets see, there was armor wars, he's a never recovering alcoholic. he supported the registration act, arrested captain america, cloned thor that led to the death of bill foster, and was too weak to prevent norman osborn from gaining control...AND he still argues with steve now that steve has his old job.... "
    he hasn't drank in the comics for years now, the Registration act was a good idea just poorly executed, Captain America realized that he was wrong and turned himself in otherwise he would have never been caught, Reed and the Pym skrull were the ones who were mostly behind the Thor clone,  he did everything he could to prevent Norman from taking control he even went as far as to wipe his brain clean Norman was given control by the President, and friends argue that's that
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

This all is very similar to the http://www.comicvine.com/iron-man/29-1455/so-in-the-registration-act-storyarc-iron-man-was-a-bad-guy/92-567029/#39 topic.
    Yes he's a douche, he's supposed to be a wealthy, arrogant, ego-tripping douche. But you can't blame all those things on him ( check the above topic for that discussion ).
    And as said; he hasn't drank for years and is clean ( even after the hell he's been through lately ). It's just a part of his "charm" as a character to be douchy, yet still be a very efficient hero.
    The same as it's Deadpool's "charm" to be so mouthy or Wolverine 's "charm" to be so gritty & violent, etc.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xybernauts
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @xybernauts said:
    I'm doing that all the time now. I'm really trying hard to stop; it's the sole source of my animosity towards Tony. I found Stark to be an insufferable A-hole in IM 2. I preferred Justin Hammer lol. "
    Iron Man in Iron Man two reminded me of a really really bad version of Booster Gold from DC comics. 
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By ForbushBug

Yes, he's a douche. Keep in mind that the majority of Iron Man's adventures, especially during his first few decades, have been about have been about protecting his company's assets, a company whose main business for several years was selling arms. He wasn't going on patrol and protecting regular guys, he was more worried about his ability to sell weapons to the government.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I like how people blame Stark for making Ragnarok when Reed and Pym helped and Pym probably had more input than all of them. 
    I also like how someone could blame Tony for Norman taking control when it had nothing to do with him.If anyone is to blame it's Nick Fury and Deadpool.Hell if we're being completely picky, it's Swordsman's fault for not killing him in that fight.

Sarpio__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarpio__

Nah, not me.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

I love Tony because he is kind of a douche. Just like with Guy Gardner or Steve Carell on the Office. They're all fantastic characters, but I'd never wanna be around them.
    HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By HarlequinKiss

I thought his character was meant  to be a douche. I love him for it though. There's nothing like a good villain or a bad hero.

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fire-brand

well, he was a bit of a douche back when he was drinking. but now that he's lost his memory and is genuinely trying to pull his life together he's a much more sympathetic character.

Avatar image for knightofthelight95
    Knightofthelight95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, Tony DID go a little overboard in Armor Wars. But, Never recovering alcoholic? You MUST be kidding me, he hasn't touched the stuff since that one page in Civil War which I thought that was a completely terrible scene, Now, Stark will not touch it at ALL unless it's a touchy scene of him taking the bottle and putting it back in the cabinet. He RIGHTFULLY supported the act. And arresting a criminal is bad? Jeez I didn't know that. Cap went against what THE PEOPLE wanted, effectively going against the basic founation of America. Cap was an idiot during Civil War. And I dont think I even HAVE to get into the Osborne stuff.
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By SpidermanWins

Finally someone who understands and yes I do.

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The Mango
    @Knightofthelight95 said:
    " Ok, Tony DID go a little overboard in Armor Wars. But, Never recovering alcoholic? You MUST be kidding me, he hasn't touched the stuff since that one page in Civil War which I thought that was a completely terrible scene, Now, Stark will not touch it at ALL unless it's a touchy scene of him taking the bottle and putting it back in the cabinet. He RIGHTFULLY supported the act. And arresting a criminal is bad? Jeez I didn't know that. Cap went against what THE PEOPLE wanted, effectively going against the basic founation of America. Cap was an idiot during Civil War. And I dont think I even HAVE to get into the Osborne stuff. "
    The scene with Sue Richards where he kills happy? I thought that was a fantastic scene.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Vance Astro said:
    If anyone is to blame it's Nick Fury and Deadpool. "
    Heh. Honestly if that were the case, I think the blame would be on Nick Fury, he should've been able to provide a totally secure line, since I really doubt whether Deadpool would be able to do anything remotely like that, not exactly the biggest tech genius there ;). But I totally agree, you can't really put the blame on Iron Man for what happened with Osborn etc.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The Iron Man is a douche stuff is a bandwagon thing.In all honesty if you actually read his comics everything he does is to either advanace technology who to help people.Even the registration act was an attempt to help the superhero community and keep them away from the backlash of the public.The stamford incident wasn't the fault of the New Warriors but alot of them died along with some students.People were afraid.Tony was looking for away to get the public to not be afraid and trust them again.

Avatar image for stikfigureman2d
    stikfigureman2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By stikfigureman2d

Its what he is, sometimes I like it for that, other times I just wanna punch him, it's a love/hate relationship
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

The only reason I like Tony Stark is the fact that he IS a douchebag. He's got every reason to be, lol.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Powerzone789 said:

" does anyone else think that tony stark is a complete douche?  "

To be honest i wasn't ever aware that his armor had the ability to complete that process
    until you mentioned it...
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ironshadow

everyone has his ups and downs but i don't think he's a complete douche 

realsilverjunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By realsilverjunk

Aw I like Stark. He let's the heroes stay in his house, he acts cool, and he works hard on making weapons for everyone. I don't think he's a douche. 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sexy_merc

Definitely not

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Magian
    @Invincible Iron Man said:
    " Some hate Superman because he's too perfect, others hate Iron Man because he's too human. Just can't please some people. "
    So true.
    drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By drkhwk2001

Summers Eve.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

Iron Man is great. Tony Stark is a douche. Just like how Bruce Wayne is a tool but, Batman is just an asshole. Smart but, an asshole non the less.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Larkin1388
    @Crom-Cruach: i think hes what every man would want to be: rich, genius, and a suave ladies man... who wouldnt want that....
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Larkin1388 said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: i think hes what every man would want to be: rich, genius, and a suave ladies man... who wouldnt want that.... "
    Being rich and suave is one thing. Being a douche like Tony Stark is another. You can be rich and suave without being a douche.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Evil Incarnate: Why the hell would Batman be an asshole?

@Crom-Cruach:  I think it would be kind of hard to have such a level of genius, constantly meet people who are dumber than you, and not become at least a bit douchy about this. Having this, plus all the money and women ( however in a less amount in the current state he's in ), wouldn't help either. I'm not saying you have to become a douche because if this, I'm saying it's easier to become a douche under these circumstances.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

He isnt a douche. hes just done some bad thigs with the best intentions. 

the Ragnarok thing was horrible but He,Reed and Criti Noll are all EQUALLY responsible for that  

supporting registration during Civil War was what Tony thought was the right thing to do, wich was all he was obliged to do in that kind of situation. 

Even though i have no love for him and i wholeheartedly supported the Ant-Reg movement , i understand for the most bpart why he did some of these things

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Invincible Iron Man said:
    " Some hate Superman because he's too perfect, others hate Iron Man because he's too human. Just can't please some people. "
    Iron Man isn't too human. He's an adrenaline junkie super genius with more money than anyone else in the world. Clark Kent is far easier to relate to than Tony.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @FadeToBlackBolt: He's broke. Meaning: he doesn't have that amount of money anymore. He even had to use Reed Richards resources to create his newest suit..
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ShirEPanjshir: Fair call :)
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    " I'm not saying you have to become a douche because if this, I'm saying it's easier to become a douche under these circumstances. "
    Still doesn't mean you have to become a douche or that it justifies your douchyness. It doesn't.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

@FadeToBlackBolt:
    The rest of your comment was correct though. He is a super genius and an adrenaline junkie. Though I agree that I can relate more to Tony Stark and his problems than Superman, which doesn't mean I dislike Superman. I just think most people like that there heroes have some (big) faults to humanize them. Like a lot of people totally disliked Tony Stark before, and now he's really a sympathetic character with his whole fall from grace etc.

@Crom-Cruach said:

" @ShirEPanjshir said:

" I'm not saying you have to become a douche because if this, I'm saying it's easier to become a douche under these circumstances. "

Still doesn't mean you have to become a douche or that it justifies your douchyness. It doesn't. "
    Uhm..
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    "  
    Uhm.. "
    What I meant was that I agree with your statement that his being smart and suave and rich makes it easier for him to be a douche. But that I also believe it doesn't justify his behavior at all.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Crom-Cruach: Oh. Well yes that's true. It doesn't justify some of his behavior. It only explains it a bit further, but it indeed doesn't justify it.
    Though the current Tony Stark isn't a douche .. or at least not that much.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    " Though the current Tony Stark isn't a douche .. or at least not that much. "

Honestly, I wouldn't know and I don't really care, no offense meant or anything. But I've given up on Marvel a long time ago.
    solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By solidejake
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " Oh come on, love him or hate him can anyone honestly look at that picture and think he's not at least a little of a douchebag
    No Caption Provided
    "
    I love Iron Man. But it's basically factual that he is an arrogant prick. I mean, Civil War is seriously metaphorically proof of that.
    Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Tony not being a douche is like... Spider-Man not having a sense of humor or Wolverine being nice. It just doesn't work. It's why he works as a character and is considered one of those famous flaws.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.