Could We See The Mandarin In Iron Man 3?

Posted by G-Man (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
When the first Iron Man came out, there were some stirrings that perhaps the terrorist, Raza, that held Tony captive would somehow become the Mandarin.  It didn't really make sense but now it looks like the possibility is still there.

The actor that played Raza, Faran Tahir, talked to Sci Fi Wire last week and the topic came up.

"We're still talking about it. It hasn't been finalized yet, so we'll see. The character didn't die in the first one, and it is part of a larger story. Iron Man's biggest nemesis is Mandarin, and my character is the only reference to Mandarin. So we're still trying to figure out how it's going to fit. The things to consider, I think, are that if it is a bigger story, how much of it is exposed [and] when.

Is he the conduit to Mandarin?  Does he become Mandarin? Is it just another leader of the Ten Rings, you know, thing? All the allusions [in] my first speech was all about Genghis Khan and all that, which is Mandarin's thing, you know? So I think they have created the character and the storyline very wisely. To leave it as open as possible so whatever they need to, you know, pull from, they will."
I have to admit that I've never been the biggest Mandarin fan.  I get and respect his place as one of Iron Man's big villains.  Maybe he was just always a little too...mystical where Iron Man was more about science and technology.  Then again, that could be a good contrast and provide a good challenge.

Would you want to see the Mandarin in the movies?  Do you think the mystical rings would translate well in a live action movie?  Should Faran Tahir's character become the Mandarin or should someone else take on the role?
#1 Edited by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

They alluded to Mandarin appearing pretty heavily in the first film. That kind of foreshadowing doesn't happen by accident or on a whim.

#2 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Mandrain should appear,because that would be so cool. I wonder would there be any more Iron Man
suits that could be seen in this movie like the Sub Armor,Classic Armor,Drilling Armor,etc.

#3 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

But just thinking about it I think incorporating Mandarin in a movie would ruin the movie. Just my gut feeling.
#4 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though the Mandarin is pretty much required to be Chinese, Faran Tahir was surprisingly good in the role he played. If he was to become the Mandarin in a future sequel, I'd overlook his nationality with ease.
I don't think that the character will be perceived well by fans and non-fans alike, however. If he's done accurately, people won't like it, and if he has a number of "realistic" upgrades..... well, Favreau might as well just call him a different character. I'm still iffy on the Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo amalgam rumor.

#5 Posted by Nibiru (681 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope the movie doesn't come out embarassingly racist.

#6 Posted by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mandarin can work, his mystical side can easily intertwine without being so abrasive. The best example can be seen in Iron Man: Haunted, the mysticism wasn't overtly emphasized and his ethnicity wasn't depicted in a stereotypical manner. The Mandarin was depicted as a corporate crime lord whose martial arts and ten rings made him a worthy adversary for Iron Man and I think that particular angle should be adapted towards the movie. As far as Faran Tahir playing the role of Mandarin is concerned, I wouldn't necessarily be against it but I do think there may be someone else out there more fitting for the role.

#7 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio
Dr. ? man said:
"The Mandarin can work, his mystical side can easily intertwine without being so abrasive. The best example can be seen in Iron Man: Haunted, the mysticism wasn't overtly emphasized and his ethnicity wasn't depicted in a stereotypical manner. The Mandarin was depicted as a corporate crime lord whose martial arts and ten rings made him a worthy adversary for Iron Man and I think that particular angle should be adapted towards the movie. As far as Faran Tahir playing the role of Mandarin is concerned, I wouldn't necessarily be against it but I do think there may be someone else out there more fitting for the role."
The Mandarin is all about the magic, without it he might as well not be in the movie. Which actually sounds pretty good to me.
#8 Edited by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:
"Dr. ? man said:
"The Mandarin can work, his mystical side can easily intertwine without being so abrasive. The best example can be seen in Iron Man: Haunted, the mysticism wasn't overtly emphasized and his ethnicity wasn't depicted in a stereotypical manner. The Mandarin was depicted as a corporate crime lord whose martial arts and ten rings made him a worthy adversary for Iron Man and I think that particular angle should be adapted towards the movie. As far as Faran Tahir playing the role of Mandarin is concerned, I wouldn't necessarily be against it but I do think there may be someone else out there more fitting for the role."
The Mandarin is all about the magic, without it he might as well not be in the movie. Which actually sounds pretty good to me.
"
I never said they had to get rid of it. But there's more to the Mandarin than just magic.
#9 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man, your thoughts are  exactly the same as mine regarding this possibility.   I think your statement about Mandarin being a polar opposite to Iron Man's  technology is well stated, BUT I just never "felt" Mandarin as a decent Iron Man  villain.  Actually, there are less than a handful of  Iron Man villains worth mentioning, and that has been a bit of a drawback to Iron Man as a title but I still love, love the concept and character.   Are there plans for an Iron Man 3?  I assumed it would be Iron Man2, then Thor and Capt. America, possibly Incredible Hulk 2 then The Avengers. 

#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43647 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I really hope Mandarin appears in the 3rd and not the 2nd film.
#11 Posted by Venom7585 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a very new fan to the Iron Man series (just started on Invincible which is awesome!), and part of the reason that i didnt jump on sooner was simple, a hero is only as good as his/her villains and to be frank what i know of the Manderin he sucks ROYALLY!

I know this sounds stupid and is probably based on my love of Matt Fractions Iron Man stuff but why can't we see Ezikiel Stane cant come in and destroy Tony's life like he does in the 5 nightmares storyline. Make that particular storyline into a film and it would be great. By the time we get to the third one Iron Man will have been flying around for two films plenty of time for pieces of Iron Man armour to get left all over the world for Stane to use. He is a great villain (and if played right could come of slightly Joker-esque) and if you demand the Mandarin exists to some extent just call Stane the manderin (frankly i dont care)

#12 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll show up....eventually

#13 Posted by The Hottness (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be tight if me act a cameo at the end of the film like fury did. he could lead things into the third movie

#14 Posted by Rod12 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats actually a good idea something like Batman Begins did with Ra's Al Gul.

#15 Posted by LastSon1027 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Mandarin is a probably the most common Iron Man villain so I'm sure he'll be in a movie sooner or later. And I like the idea of them using Raza as Mandarin I just don't want to see them take it overboard with the magic.

#16 Posted by ThE FL@$H (116 posts) - - Show Bio

arabian + mandarin = bad

chines + mandarin = good

#17 Posted by goldeeh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhm... I thought that Mandarin called himself "Mandarin" because he's Chinese.  If they use this guy to play Mandarin, they should rename the character  "The Middle-Eastern" or "The Arab".  Makes more sense to me that way. :)

#18 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio
goldeeh said:
"Uhm... I thought that Mandarin called himself "Mandarin" because he's Chinese.  If they use this guy to play Mandarin, they should rename the character  "The Middle-Eastern" or "The Arab".  Makes more sense to me that way. :)"
these are awful names, They just sound bad, and borderline racsit
#19 Posted by MrSinister616 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like the contrast between the science and tech of Ironman and the "mysticism" of the Mandarin's rings.  Like the fight between order and chaos with Batman and the Joker.  And besides, weren't the rings alien tech he found in a alien ship that brought Fing Fang Foom to Earth?

#20 Posted by Tem Borjigin (120 posts) - - Show Bio
"The Mandarin is all about the magic, without it he might as well not be in the movie. Which actually sounds pretty good to me."

Huh?? Since when? The Mandarin is all about martial arts and mad science and Ghenghis Khan worship.

There is one story of him going magical, but it is no more defining of him than the story where Doom makes a skin-suit out of his girlfriend.

Mandarin stories tend to go like this: Mandy invents some gizmo to plunge the world into chaos. Iron Man tries to stop him and they get into a brawl, super-kung-fu and rings vs Iron Man's armor and creativity. Iron Man wins by the smallest of margins. Repeat. There is rarely anything magical about Mandarin except the sheer extent of his martial arts ability, which is like something out of Kung Fu Hustle.
#21 Posted by Leto (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The  Mandarin could be awesome!  He's a martial arts master who's such a badass that he can almost beat iron man with his bare hands! 
And technically, the rings aren't magic, they're alien technology.  As was mentioned, he's also a brilliant scientist who created, or modified such things as Ultimo.  I think the Ultimo story arc would be a great for the Avengers movie...a suitably gigantic and earth-threatening creature requiring the powers of several super heroes combined...

Additionally, there needs to be some alien and mystical stuff introduced at some point....not only because it is a part of the overall marvel universe but also because we know Thor is going to be in the avengers movie.  So there will have to be some introduction of eternals, other dimensions (like asgard), space travel and other civilizations (silver surfer/galactus).  once we've established that there are other dimensions and powerful beings that reside there, they can even plausibly bring in powerful and reality altering baddies like Mephisto, Thanos, etc...there's no reason the movies need to shy away from anything from the comics, they just need to reinterpret some things a little (and redesign some constumes).  If ever all the marvel characters movie rights get reverted back to marvel studios, they could give us onslaught, or the inifinity gauntlet saga, or the secret war, or something cool like that... 

#22 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly i wouldnt mind seeing the mandarin in the future, but they would have to do him very carefully. the way they did iron man was excellent cause unlike all of marvels/dc's other movies it didnt feature the hero's arch nemesis in the very first film unlike spider-man, hulk, daredevil, blade, x-men, original batman. they handled it very well and only gave the audiance little easter eggs. personally i liked the most recent incarnation of the mandarin and his plot to distribute the extremis virus to all the people of the world that would kill over 95% of the population, it could even make a good plot

#23 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1131 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he shows up. I wonder how they'll explain those rings to make it realistic (if you could call it that)
#24 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18764 posts) - - Show Bio

Mandarin's nails creep me out.

#25 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be cool to have Mandarin. It would be a total case of science vs magic.

My theory about the story would be the terrorist from Iron Man 1 would be searching for the "the ultimate weapon" and come across the tomb of the Mandarin and unleash him. 

I wouldn't want to see a middle eastern Mandarin, but it doesn't mean its a horrible idea.

#26 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7965 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rod12 said:

" Thats actually a good idea something like Batman Begins did with Ra's Al Gul. "

Now that would be the road to go down and i think Favreau knows it, looking forward to how this is all going to pan out
#27 Edited by Dex (540 posts) - - Show Bio

this guy could so be mandarin...
#28 Posted by Dex (540 posts) - - Show Bio

#29 Posted by Sidney (1248 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nibiru said:
"I just hope the movie doesn't come out embarassingly racist. "

How?
#30 Edited by grimreaper1980 (606 posts) - - Show Bio

your character didn't die, says you, need i remind you guys that in the first ironman stane used that device on him like he did to stark and then told him that the paralisis it gave him was the least of his problems and the stane's men killed him and his soldiers, duh. watch the freaking movie again if you don't believe me

#31 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio

He should of been in Iron Man 1 if you ask me

#32 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda figured that the guy in the first movie maybe worked for the Mandarin. He had a ring, perhaps used for Mandarin to control him and keep an eye on him. As for magic the Mandarin just considered his own technology magic but I don't think its that important to him.

#33 Posted by grimreaper1980 (606 posts) - - Show Bio

you must be retarded, that guy from the first movie is dead, stane's men killed him, duh. watch the movie again if you don't believe me

#34 Posted by BlackestShite (238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dex said:

"
best movie ever

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

mandarin's rings ARE NOT magic they are alien tech that is so advanced it seems like magic, and considering the iron man movies take place where thor and hulk exist alien tech shouldnt be too far out of reach. according to some reports the skrulls are gonna be in the avengers movie so aliens also exist in this universe the only real reason mandarin hasnt been in the movies is hollywood ignorance and snobbery

#36 Posted by Zereta (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Since THOR and Iron Man is part of the same universe, I can see them pulling off some weird shit like THOR is doing, by combining magic with Science in cool ways. 

Regardless, turning Mandarin's mystic powers into science based powers is by far the easiest thing to do. And it could potentially work well too.

#37 Edited by gambit987 (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

the mandarin rings are also science, alien science that is not magical (maybe he uses this tech and it looks like magic for humans but it really is not), only his chi powers are magical, and they could do the alien-power-rings I a thunder god from an other dimension can why not alien rings but he should better be chinese. He can be the boss from that guy in the first iron man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.