Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Bleeding edge or extremis poll

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zachattack1239
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zachattack1239

I personally prefer extremis

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By katanalauncher

Extremis just looks cooler.

Although I do like the concept of Bleeding Edge.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By daredevil21134

Extremis forever!!!!!!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Extremis is by far the more advanced, but Bleeding Edge looks awesome, the name isn't that awesome though, cool but not Extremis or even Centurion cool.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    Extremis is by far the more advanced, but Bleeding Edge looks awesome, the name isn't that awesome though, cool but not Extremis or even Centurion cool.
    agreed
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    Uhm. How can Extremis be 'far more advanced' while the Bleeding Edge is the most recent ( and current ) armor that Tony is 'wearing'? That would mean that Tony Stark didn't upgrade, but downgraded his own armor. Which wouldn't even take a genius to figure out that it's a stupid move to make.
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @ShirEPanjshir: your right, but extremis is a better armor for many different reasons. Not from a performance stand point though
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @ShirEPanjshir: I am not up on everything the new armor can do, but I am pretty sure it can't do everything Extremis could, and actually I think that's what Tony wanted, he wanted to get back to being the man inside the armor and not just the armor.
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By karrob

Bleeding edge

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Nova`Prime`: Uhm. No? The entire Bleeding Edge armor resides within Tony Stark now. If anything, Tony has effectively made himself to be a cyborg. The Bleeding Edge armor is a part of Tony Stark's now-posthuman biology - it is stored inside Tony's body in its entirety, "manifesting" itself when mentally commanded. Similar to Extremis, but Extremis never stored the entire armor inside of his body. Which now is in fact the case.

Anyway, just to clarify: I really don't have a favorite. They're both awesome. I kind of like the Extremis look a bit better, I think.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daredevil21134
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    @Nova`Prime`: Uhm. No? The entire Bleeding Edge armor resides within Tony Stark now. If anything, Tony has effectively made himself to be a cyborg. The Bleeding Edge armor is a part of Tony Stark's now-posthuman biology - it is stored inside Tony's body in its entirety, "manifesting" itself when mentally commanded. Similar to Extremis, but Extremis never stored the entire armor inside of his body. Which now is in fact the case.  Anyway, just to clarify: I really don't have a favorite. They're both awesome. I kind of like the Extremis look a bit better, I think.
    Very good answer
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Bleeding Edge Armor

Tony likes donuts, and I do too :P
    Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Man of Lengend

bleeding edge has cooler abilities, but in recent comics he doesnt really show what his armor can do ....................  

so since i have seen all the epicness of extremis, and since it looks sleeker,  ill take extremis FTW

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OldManDuncan

Bleeding edge

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @War Killer said:
    Bleeding Edge Armor
    Thissssss. I love how in recent stuff (Carnage, Iron Man, Fear Itself) he's really showing off his "I CAN TURN MY ARMS INTO GUNS" routine. Epic stuff. 
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zachattack1239

I'm about to cry... I can't believe people actually prefer bleeding edge over extremis. Extremis is the superior armor... it's basically the same thing but with a better concept, a better look, and a better back story. I hate how bleeding edge is infused into his skin, it makes him to superhuman for my liking. I liked being able to put tony in the same category as batman (no superpowers) The armor is growing on me but i still believe that extremis is a way better armor

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batflasharrow96

Bleeding Edge isn't as advanced as Extremis and it just feels like a downgrade. It's still cool but Extremis was a perfect concept for Iron Man in my opinion. Bleeding Edge is too light looking too.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batflasharrow96 said:
    Bleeding Edge isn't as advanced as Extremis and it just feels like a downgrade. It's still cool but Extremis was a perfect concept for Iron Man in my opinion. Bleeding Edge is too light looking too.
    I agree
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Zachattack1239 said:
    I'm about to cry... I can't believe people actually prefer bleeding edge over extremis. Extremis is the superior armor... it's basically the same thing but with a better concept, a better look, and a better back story. I hate how bleeding edge is infused into his skin, it makes him to superhuman for my liking. I liked being able to put tony in the same category as batman (no superpowers) The armor is growing on me but i still believe that extremis is a way better armor
    LOL I hear ya buddy
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @batflasharrow96: I agree and i disagree. One of the things i don't like about the bleeding edge is that it is TO advanced. I hate how its infused into his skin... Extremis was a perfect way to evolve the armor without taking to far. Bleeding Edge crossed the line 
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Loki9876

bleeding edge is more advanced than extremis it's like an up-graded version of extremis

gnessa14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gnessa14

Extremis all the way.  It has just the right amount of sleekness without looking like a skintight bodysuit which is what happens to Bleeding Edge.  I find the whole thing about a giant gun being made out of the Bleeding Edge suit somewhat absurd due to its size.

Also, Tony walks around naked and shape-shifts his IM suit into his clothes is kinda like Mystique which is... weird.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daredevil21134
    @gnessa14 said:

Extremis all the way.  It has just the right amount of sleekness without looking like a skintight bodysuit which is what happens to Bleeding Edge.  I find the whole thing about a giant gun being made out of the Bleeding Edge suit somewhat absurd due to its size.

Also, Tony walks around naked and shape-shifts his IM suit into his clothes is kinda like Mystique which is... weird.

Yup
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Zachattack1239: What part do you disagree with.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Extremis

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @batflasharrow96: i disagree with the fact that you think extremis is more advanced. Bleeding edge is way more advanced but that doesn't make it a better armor
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By the_tree

I like Bleeding Edge more, It's got a cooler style and functionality.

batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Zachattack1239: Yeah, I kind of got mixed up. I meant that. 
    gnessa14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gnessa14

Is it possible that in the future, Tony has to downgrade his armor back to Extremis due to issues with Bleeding Edge?  Say, for an example, it's taxing on his nerve system, he gets infection due to storing the outershell in his bones (and all the dust/broken bits on the armor), etc.

Alright, it's not as if I want anymore bad things to happen to Tony but Bleeding Edge needs to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Edge.

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pepperr

@daredevil21134 said:

@batflasharrow96 said:
    I agree

You trolling? You just supported an answer that took the opposite side of the above post by Batflasharrow.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Kallarkz

@gnessa14 said:

Is it possible that in the future, Tony has to downgrade his armor back to Extremis due to issues with Bleeding Edge? Say, for an example, it's taxing on his nerve system, he gets infection due to storing the outershell in his bones (and all the dust/broken bits on the armor), etc.

Alright, it's not as if I want anymore bad things to happen to Tony but Bleeding Edge needs to go.

eh..possibly. I think fans are really liking the fact that he doesn't have to run to a lab or carry a suitcase around. But who knows what they might do in the future.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

If anything, Bleeding Edge makes Tony look more alien then ever, whereas Extremis was sleek and aerodynamic. Every upgrade Iron Man makes seems to headed in the right direction thus far. Wish I could say the same for War Machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Style - The Extremis armor wins hands down. The Bleeding Edge armor is a terrible design and my eyes hurt when I see all the repulsor light brights.

Power - By the specs and the limited amount we have seen it in use, the Bleeding Edge is vastly more powerful. Holding an alternate Apocalypse in stasis effortlessly for a conversation? Repair of massive damage to perfect in seconds? WTF? I really hope they reign in the capabilities of the suit and not let it get any more out of hand.

Concept - I like parts of both, but if forced to choose I would say Extremis

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @WarMachineMarkV: One of my beefs is that they are not actually portraying him as powerful as he should be. His armor is so advanced it will still be used for centuries to come and it will be the predecessor to Iron Lad's armor. And Iron Lad recently defeated Doom and Magneto at the same time in one move. His armor made Extremis look like an antique when Tony and him met in Young Avengers. So, while I understand why they are doing it (it's counterintuitive for the purposes both of a team book and a a solo book to have a protagonist that is practically a mini Kang and can take on entire teams by himself), I'd like to see him perform at higher levels every now and then, as a reminder, if nothing else. That, or Fraction could give him superior challenges to fight and operate at a higher scope.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I'm not sure what you mean by his armor being the predecessor to the Iron Lad armor? Did they specify somewhere that the suit Kang gave his younger self was based off of future StarkTech?

- I can see the stylistic similarities between the Bleeding Edge and Iron Lad armor but have never heard anything to show this to be more than Kang Jr basing it visually off of an Iron Man armor from the past (from his perspective)

- If Kang did have access to future StarkTech, why was it not exploited against Iron Man in prior encounters?

- Considering Kang has access to all known technology of the future, I would expect that Iron Lad would at the very least be as powerful as Stark's current armor. While Stark is far ahead of current technology, 500 years in the future is another matter.

- I understand how at times there are points where you would feel Stark should have developed a counter to a situation, but he has to have limits or he just becomes an overpowered deus-ex-machina.

- Iron Man is already among the most powerful non-cosmic characters in the Marvel U, a versatile powerhouse near the top of the scale in multiple different aspects. He is already close to the edge of being a potential team killer, pushing him into the territory your discussing would IMO be detrimental to the character and how he could be used.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fury714

Extremis :)

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @WarMachineMarkV: Tony said it in Invincible Iron Man # 30.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k560/baronhelmutzemo/various/IIM_30_0008copy.jpg

The kid he is referring to is Iron Lad.

- If Kang did have access to future StarkTech, why was it not exploited against Iron Man in prior encounters?

Because the development is something Fraction conjured up in the past year.

- Considering Kang has access to all known technology of the future, I would expect that Iron Lad would at the very least be as powerful as Stark's current armor. While Stark is far ahead of current technology, 500 years in the future is another matter.

The tech Iron Man created in current times is supposedly so good that it will still be of use 500 years in the future.

- I understand how at times there are points where you would feel Stark should have developed a counter to a situation, but he has to have limits or he just becomes an overpowered deus-ex-machina.

I agree.

- Iron Man is already among the most powerful non-cosmic characters in the Marvel U, a versatile powerhouse near the top of the scale in multiple different aspects. He is already close to the edge of being a potential team killer, pushing him into the territory your discussing would IMO be detrimental to the character and how he could be used.

I'm not proposing that Iron Man should be up there because I want the character to be there (I feel he's very powerful as it is), I'm saying that since the writer who is control of the character for over three years decided to take that route, he should have been able to raise the stakes as opposed to mentioning it once and then leaving it be. In Avengers, the development is not even acknowledged, and the Avengers kids that incapacitate Iron Man in the first arc even call Bleeding Edge an antique. So there are some obvious writer discrepancies, but I'll place more faith in what Iron Man's regular writer comes up with than Bendis does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Morpheus_ said:

@WarMachineMarkV: Tony said it in Invincible Iron Man # 30.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k560/baronhelmutzemo/various/IIM_30_0008copy.jpg

The kid he is referring to is Iron Lad.

Because the development is something Fraction conjured up in the past year.

The tech Iron Man created in current times is supposedly so good that it will still be of use 500 years in the future.

I agree.

I'm not proposing that Iron Man should be up there because I want the character to be there (I feel he's very powerful as it is), I'm saying that since the writer who is control of the character for over three years decided to take that route, he should have been able to raise the stakes as opposed to mentioning it once and then leaving it be. In Avengers, the development is not even acknowledged, and the Avengers kids that incapacitate Iron Man in the first arc even call Bleeding Edge an antique. So there are some obvious writer discrepancies, but I'll place more faith in what Iron Man's regular writer comes up with than Bendis does.

1 - I know I read the issue in question, but missed the reference (as clear as day as it is now that I look at your scan). Thanks for providing the page for my benefit.

2 - I have a hard time believing any technology created today still stands up 500 years in the future, even something so far ahead of the curve as Starktech. With the exponential rate of improvement we see in our own lives, there would have to be some kind of catastrophic event that would have slowed or halted progress during this time for me to accept it at this time.

3 - I see what you mean when a character is teased in a direction,and then no development comes of it. Quality control and consistency between writers and titles is far from optimal. Stark is a pillar with a view of the heavens, but not high enough to touch or look down upon them.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @WarMachineMarkV

i) Don't mention it.

ii) I would agree. Even though I am unsure if the choice was consciously made with reasonable criteria, or was merely included in order to add an additional aspect to Iron Man's latest armor and make it "cooler", in a way. Having technology so good that Kang himself would use in centuries ahead is very flattering for Iron Man, after all, and Fraction referenced and tied-in the developments of the Young Avengers series nicely. In terms of continuity, we do know several catastrophic events are bound to happen, though, notably the Ultron War. However, I do not believe that was taken into consideration when Fraction wrote the issue, but it could work as a cohesive in-universe explanation.

iii) I wouldn't mind if he managed to realize his potential and achieve a higher level of power, but I'd rather it was done as an examination of the consequences that level of power would have on him and others around him, and only for a short time frame, preferably for a single story arc or so, rather than it being a permanent development.
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By RainEffect

@Zachattack1239 said:

I'm about to cry... I can't believe people actually prefer bleeding edge over extremis. Extremis is the superior armor... it's basically the same thing but with a better concept, a better look, and a better back story. I hate how bleeding edge is infused into his skin, it makes him to superhuman for my liking. I liked being able to put tony in the same category as batman (no superpowers) The armor is growing on me but i still believe that extremis is a way better armor

Have you seen the things Bleeding Edge can do? It is incredible.

However, Thor-Buster remains my favourite. That thing is wicked.

Adriusus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Edge.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

#45  Edited By KrleAvenger

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.