Best writer for Iron Man?

#1 Posted by chem86 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the Iron Man movies, but haven't really read any Iron man stuff til just recently. I read a few issues from the early 80's and really loved them, more than I expected to at least. I was wondering which writer do Iron Man fan's feel really did IronMan/Stark the best? many characters have writers that have defined them, do Iron Man have a writer that just nailed him? thanks for the help

#2 Posted by TheDudeMcDude (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@chem86:

"Iron Man: Extremis" which is a very quick six issue story can be found in collections anywhere. It's possibly the best story for newcomers who are getting into the comics through the movies, especially since the Extremis story re-imagined Iron Man's origin, which influenced his origin in the Iron Man film and Extremis was a large part of Iron Man 3.

One of my favourite writers on Iron Man was Denny O'Neil's run on the book. Since you're just getting into comics I presume you may not know what a run is, a run is the amount of time a writer had on a comic. His run lasted from issue 160-200 and had a large story planned from beginning to end. Many of the aspects and elements of his run, were used in the first Iron Man movie, including the character of Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger, which he himself created and was the main antagonist throughout O'Neil's run. The main things that were touched upon in his run were Tony's drinking problem, Tony losing his company to Obadiah, Tony giving up being Iron Man and handing the suit over to Rhodey and making a triumphant return in issue 200. I would highly recommend Denny O'Neil's work, although it has not been fully collected. The only parts of his run that have been collected are the collections called "Iron Man: Iron Monger" which collects issues 193-200 and "Iron Man: The Enemy Within" which collects issues 158-177. Sadly nothing else has been released in any collected form, but they are worth checking out.

#3 Edited by davidwes (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. O'Neil's run was the best. I also really liked David Michelinie who introduced Bethany Cabe and James Rhodes.

#4 Edited by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

David Michelinie is the man mostly connected to him. He was the one who gave him a drinking problem and took Iron Man into more serious tones. He also introduced several important characters. Dennis O'Neil's run is worth checking out as well.

#5 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction.

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

Warren Ellis.

#7 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

Matt Fraction.

Agreed. After going back re-reading the first half of his run, it's hard to deny the incredible developments he made with Tony Stark as a character.

Also, the Most Wanted arc is one of the best Iron Man stories you'll ever read.

#8 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: He's a fantastic writer,but his Iron Man was awesome......and being a Spidey fanboy,the times Spidey appeared ,he was fenomenal too.

#9 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: He's a fantastic writer,but his Iron Man was awesome......and being a Spidey fanboy,the times Spidey appeared ,he was fenomenal too.

I'm glad I've found another Fraction Iron Man fan.

Lets high five our repulsors!

#10 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@punyparker said:

worth it. ( :P )

#11 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@punyparker said:

worth it. ( :P )

lol nice

#12 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis:

SUPER-FRIENDS!!!!

Yes, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

#14 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@punyparker said:

@extremis:

SUPER-FRIENDS!!!!

Oh!
And thanks for the suit by the way....

#15 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@punyparker said:

@extremis:

SUPER-FRIENDS!!!!

Oh!

And thanks for the suit by the way....

Oh, that old thing?

#16 Posted by PunyParker (9836 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (11517 posts) - - Show Bio

Fraction's Iron Man is overrated imo get Daniel Knauf's run

#18 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

you should read the Most Wanted arc again. Seriously. It reads really well in trade.

#19 Posted by daredevil21134 (11517 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

you should read the Most Wanted arc again. Seriously. It reads really well in trade.

I did,it felt was ok.I don't think it's the most amazing thing like most people say but that's just me

#20 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I did,it felt was ok.I don't think it's the most amazing thing like most people say but that's just me

Wow really? I mean the art isn't the greatest but as far as the writing goes, Fraction kills it. A wholly unique Iron Man story and something I've never seen done in ANY comicbook, frankly. Fraction really evolved Stark as a character throughout the whole run but this arc really paved the way. It set Stark up as a hero without it being as prosaic as a well-placed punch.

To each their own, though man. I respect your opinion, just had to throw in my two cents ;)

#21 Posted by daredevil21134 (11517 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Wow really? I mean the art isn't the greatest but as far as the writing goes, Fraction kills it. A wholly unique Iron Man story and something I've never seen done in ANY comicbook, frankly. Fraction really evolved Stark as a character throughout the whole run but this arc really paved the way. It set Stark up as a hero without it being as prosaic as a well-placed punch.

To each their own, though man. I respect your opinion, just had to throw in my two cents ;)

I will say that it is the best arc of his entire run though. I also respect your opinion as well

#22 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@extremis said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I will say that it is the best arc of his entire run though. I also respect your opinion as well

Alright, see, there we go. We've just found common ground :)

#23 Posted by daredevil21134 (11517 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.