Another Iron Man Rumor - John Cho = Mandarin?

Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio
The Mandarin
Would the Mandarin ever crave White Castle?
John Cho as the Mandarin?  I can't see it.  I like John Cho.  He's a funny guy.  He is playing Sulu in the new Star Trek but does that mean he could or would play a sinister guy like the Mandarin?  When we had some of the other crazy rumors this week (like Eddie Murphy as Riddler or Shia LaBeouf as Robin) I didn't bring those up.  I am hesitant to mention this but Entertainment Weekly reported this rumor on their site.

I even wonder if Mandarin would make an appearance.  A guy with magical rings would change the direction of Iron Man.  The first movie had credible characters.  An iron super suit is more believable than mystical rings.  Then again, Thor, an Asgardian God will be standing next to Iron Man at some point.

What do you think?  Just another crazy rumor?  Who shoud play the Mandarin?  Should he even be in the movie?
Staff
#1 Posted by Clover (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Rumors are rumors hopefully this one is not true because it wouldn't fit right with the whole assembling of the Avengers IMO

#2 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not knocking John Cho as an actor.  He's just not known for acting serious parts.  Also I see the Mandarin as being older.  Now if they could somehow bring in Neil Patrick Harris, I'd start thinking about camping out for tickets right now.

Staff
#3 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

Harold can't be the Mandarin. It's just not right. Same with those other Batman rumours. Just bad.

But I would love to see NPH in something soon...

#4 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!

#5 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio
Paragon said:
"Harold can't be the Mandarin. It's just not right. Same with those other Batman rumours. Just bad.

But I would love to see NPH in something soon..."
I didn't think he could pull off Sulu either.  Wait, that sounds really wrong...
Staff
#6 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Paragon said:
"Harold can't be the Mandarin. It's just not right. Same with those other Batman rumours. Just bad.

But I would love to see NPH in something soon..."
I didn't think he could pull off Sulu either.  Wait, that sounds really wrong..."
LMFAO
#7 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

Steven Seagal for Mandarin........LMAO

#8 Posted by King Saturn (223834 posts) - - Show Bio
Kurrent said:
"Steven Seagal for Mandarin........LMAO"
That Would Be Awesome  !

lol
#9 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called acting!  He's not Harold in real life either.  I am guessing.

Staff
#10 Posted by SilverZeo (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

An Asian Keanu Reeves?

#11 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

Call me crazy but I think Christoper Walken would crush that part.....

#12 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

NPH for hank pym!

#13 Posted by danhimself (22305 posts) - - Show Bio

wasn't the guy who kidnapped him supposed to be the mandarin what with all the attention he was giving his ring and his gang was called the ten rings or something

#14 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that's what they wanted to do.  The character's name was something like Raza.  I'm pretty sure Mandarin hasn't gone by that name.  I think if they use him, they'll go bigger with what he can do.

Staff
#15 Posted by danhimself (22305 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it would just make sense for the guy from the first to play the mandarin if they get somebody else it will leave me confused....like in batman begins everyone is still running around saying the liam neeson was ras al ghul just because at the end he said he was but i still think that was another trick to through batman off and ken watanabe is actually ras

#16 Posted by reborntheshadow (4 posts) - - Show Bio

i heard they arent going to make another batman movie which i both agree and disagree with cuz it would leave batman fans wanting more but then again who could top the last and greatest performance of the great heath ledger

#17 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

I say stick to Machine and bring somelike War Machine as the antagonist. Not that he's bad, but something happens with and the goverment is after him and they built there own "Iron Man" as gave Rhody it and he becomes War Machine.

#18 Posted by reborntheshadow (4 posts) - - Show Bio

they kind of hinted towards it in iron man and it would be awesome to see two high powered suits of armor kicking major ass

#19 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio
reborntheshadow said:
"i heard they arent going to make another batman movie which i both agree and disagree with cuz it would leave batman fans wanting more but then again who could top the last and greatest performance of the great heath ledger"
There will definitely be another Batman movie.  As soon as Christopher Nolan is ready with the story, they'll start working on it.  Warners Bros. is not going to pressure him into cranking out some slope of a script.
Staff
#20 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought of something last night that could make this true.  I didn't report the whole story because it just seem waaaay too crazy.  So it was reported that John Cho might be playing the Mandarin (which he seems too young to do so besides the fact he doesn't seem right for the role).  The reported also claimed that Tommy Chong (yes, of Cheech and Chong fame) would be playing the Mandarin's father, claiming to be the real genius behind Howard Stark's inventions. 

Let's think about this.  Mandarin did have a son that shortly went under the name of Mandarin.  I'm talking about Temugin.

Son of the Mandarin

So it's possible John Cho could be playing this Mandarin and not the old dude with all the rings that we think of when hearing the name.  That would make more sense.  But Tommy Chong?  Still seems a stretch.  It'd be priceless seeing him play the original Mandarin though.
Staff
#21 Posted by DRDOOMSDAY390 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

((not a chance in hell .....he don't fit to be the mandarin)) 

#22 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

But Temugin is another story...

Staff
#23 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"But Temugin is another story..."
crappy boring drawn out one but yes one nonetheless.

I really hope Cho wont be the Mandarin, i want someone with more experiance doing good roles. Hes really only known for Harold an Kumar movies.
#24 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be in Star Trek also.

Staff
#25 Posted by Sheep-Kill (617 posts) - - Show Bio

You know who should play Mandarin?  I'll tell you.

James Duval
James Duval the Mandarin
Just look at this dude.  He was in Independence day, Doomed Generation, Donnie Darko, and Nowhere, the infamous Frog-g-g!, And Scum Rock. Plus he was in a film called Comic Book Villains. And he is half Asian.  Beside look at this face.  Tell me that is not a face wanting to cause mayhem.
#26 Posted by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see James Duval as the Mandarin.

#27 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

They could make it that Mandarin makes his rings. That would be plausible.

#28 Edited by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

mandarin will not be in ironman 2, maybee the avengers as one of the masters of evil, next to other guys like red skull, loki, klaw, and the abomination. this is just an idea, it's not what will really happen

#29 Posted by Tony Rogers (86 posts) - - Show Bio

that is a STUPID rumour

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.