Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Alcoholism Again?

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OracleX

I recently flipped through the latest issue of Iron Man. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it because or the craziness of what I read. Spoilers:

Getting drunk with the seven dwarfs? Really?

How many times has Tony battled the Demon in the Bottle? I am sure it doesn't get any easier in real life, but it has been used too many times in his comics. Seeing him fall into the inevitable pit of despair and rising up with the help of his friends is getting old.

I'd like to see a storyline where he finds out one his many girlfriends got pregnant and there is a little genius Tony Jr. running around.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

i thought they did this one in pretty good context (seeing as the entire world is about to fall apart)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp
    @RazzaTazz said:
    i thought they did this one in pretty good context (seeing as the entire world is about to fall apart)
    I don't know, since I haven't read, but I really don't like the idea of Tony being a drunkard again. It doesn't make much sense to me, specially after he's gone clean for so long. 
    Then again, I trust Razz and if she says it was good, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

actually this Tony never had an alcohol problem in the first place so the sacrifice was actually meaningless

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: I appreciate the blind faith.  

I actually just reviewed that issue.  I was initially hesitant about the alcohol but I thought they pulled it off.  
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp
    @RazzaTazz
    I'll go check it out.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @RazzaTazz said:
    thought it was alright too, the elves were bit silly. seems most of the people that hated it also didn't read it (?).
    that or there is a confusion between the Iron Man issue and the Fear Itself one, imo.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself
    @danhimself said:
    actually this Tony never had an alcohol problem in the first place so the sacrifice was actually meaningless
    not one person is curious about how I came to this conclusion?   I wanted to explain it soooo bad to :(
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @danhimself: I actually was curious. I thought maybe something to do with his memory being rebooted or something?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @CATPANEXE: no....back in the 90's they did the arc called the Crossing where it was revealed that Tony was being mindwashed since the Avengers' first encounter with Kang that Tony was being mindwashed...he went nuts and killed a couple of Avengers...so the Avengers went back in time and got a 19 year old Tony and brought him to the present to help them beat the crazy Tony...the crazy Tony ended up sacrificing himself to stop Kang but the young Tony stayed in the present and was eventually taken to the Heroes Reborn universe where he was transformed into an adult then brought back to the 616...so this Tony never became an alcoholic and the Demon in a Bottle stuff never happened to him
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic even AA believes that, no one is ever really free of it completely 

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @danhimself: wow, that is interesting. I kind of remember reading about the whole teenage Tony thing, but never read that run.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself
    @CATPANEXE:  yeah and as far as I know it was never retconned...just forgotten
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @danhimself said:
    @CATPANEXE:  yeah and as far as I know it was never retconned...just forgotten
    Let's all just pretend it was retconned. :D Besides, Matt Fraction's Iron Man has said he's an alcoholic from the very first storyarc via inner monologue. 
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CATPANEXE

Yet in the point 1 issue they focused on his meetings....yet in Iron Age his younger self is a drunken mess...yet in the Rikki Barnes stories Heroes Reborn is specifically referenced even by Steve Rogers...yet, I, oooh, er. 

I need a drink.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself
    @CATPANEXE said:
    Yet in the point 1 issue they focused on his meetings....yet in Iron Age his younger self is a drunken mess...yet in the Rikki Barnes stories Heroes Reborn is specifically referenced even by Steve Rogers...yet, I, oooh, er.   I need a drink.
    oh yeah lets not forget that during the Crossing they also changed how Tony's parents were killed...making Howard's appearance in S.H.I.E.L.D. and the revelation that he faked his original death to join S.H.I.E.L.D.     lots of confusing stuff
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @danhimself: I award you a No-Prize.
    gnessa14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gnessa14

I didn't like that alcoholism became a problem for him again but every since the 12.1 issue brought it up to my face, I knew it would happen sooner or later.  Matt Fraction also alluded something in his interview about the result of this would hang over Tony head for over a year more, meaning no hope for Tony to come out of Fear Itself intact.

I'd rather see Tony with heart problems again than alcoholism.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

Lol, he did get wasted with 7 dwarves, didn't he? lmao. 

But seriously, Marvel can't write a decent big event if their life depended on it (exlcuding Civil War because I <3 Millar)

gnessa14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gnessa14

Fear Itself is decent, not as good as Secret Invasion, or Siege.  I like Norman Osborn and Dark Reign too.  I still have problems with Civil War and how they made it too one-sided.  Sally Floyd and Front Line deserve to be flushed down the toilet.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024
    @gnessa14: Fear Itself is very meh at the moment, especially when you compare it to Flashpoint (My favorite DC event since Identity Crisis). Secret Invasion was pretty good until the last issue where Bendis decides to kill Wasp for no reason. I hated Siege. From the death of Ares to the whole Sentry/Void fight, it was my least favorite Marvel event. I felt Civil War was very well done considering what Millar had to work with. Yes, Iron Man's side should have easily mopped the floor with Cap's side, but he made the story work regardless. Plus, Steve McNiven's art is always beautiful, so it has that going for it as well. Millar did a very good job at making me absolutely hate Tony Stark. 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

I hate what Matt Fraction has done to Tony Stark ,I cant wait until he leaves his book

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.