Follow

Iron Man Armor

Object » Iron Man Armor appears in 3006 issues.

Tony Stark has designed and built a variety of armors which he uses as Iron Man. Their appearance and capabilities are continually evolving as Tony modifies and upgrades his technology.

How to build your own Iron Man suit... for real...

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Ok, last year sometime, a few of you will remember i took a look at Batman's Toy's from Dark Knight to see if it was actually feasable for a Batman like vigialante to appear in the real world... the results were actually quite encouraging, though somewhat scary i will admit...

you can read that thread here if you want...  How realistic is Batman?

Anyway, with the spirit of christmas in the air, i thought i'd set my sights a bit higher this time, and see what it would take for someone in the real world to become Tony Stark... with their own set of Iron Tech toys... and the results were... surprising to say the least, and even scarier than the Batman results...

A bit bulky for my needs...
    A bit bulky for my needs...
    Could I build my own Iron Man suit? Not just a costume, but a functioning apparatus that could perform the miracles the spectacular marvel in the movie does?

Well, not really. I’ll have to pass on antigravity tech and jets blowing out the bottoms of my feet that are hot enough to roast my tootsies like marshmallows... never mind that the suit clearly breaks the first law of thermodynamics, creating energy for free. But still, I could come close to a few of the feats of the Man of Iron.

Before we start building our own Iron Man suit, let’s first benefit from the experience from those who have tried this in the past. In 1965, was the first to try creating an exoskeleton for humans. But the first iteration went berserk, kicking, bucking and gyrating so much, they never chanced it with a human inside. The project was scaled down to an arm that would be able to lift 750 pounds, enough to load up a bomb onto a plane on an aircraft carrier. Big problem, though: The arm itself weighed 1,500 pounds, far beyond anyone’s capacity to handle it. The idea was scrapped.

This feels right...
    This feels right...
    http://davidszondy.com/future/robot/hardiman.htm

Nice try, but I need something a bit more slimline for my tech... not to mention, i don't want to suit weighing in at over 8,000 pounds...

So, lets have a look at cutting edge tech...

Yes, we geeks feel meek compared to Iron Man, but now we can gain a modicum of superhuman strength from Robot Suit HAL, Cyberdyne’s answer to the plethora of exoskeleton-style strength suits under development. The company’s gearing up to create 400 to 500 of the strength suits starting this October, so save up your $1,000 and you can rent the outfit for a month. Making you two to ten times stronger, the company says it operates for five hours on a battery charge. This I'm going to have to try.

Ok, so i've got the actual strength out of the way... next on the list... flight...

You’ve seen it flying in James Bond movies and at the Olympics years ago, but the rocket belt is still around. This one, made by TAM, costs $125,000 and can even accommodate 300-pounders. Using hydrogen peroxide as a propellant, there’s actually no combustion taking place at all... instead of Iron Man’s flames spewing out of his shoes, there’s a harmless plume of oxygen and water vapor hissing out the rocket pack’s nozzle. Too bad it only flies for 20 seconds.

Flight... finally...
    Flight... finally...
    hmm... ok, so i can get into the air, but 20 seconds isn't going to get me to the nearest shops for a pack of cigarettes, let alone to the war zone a couple of countries accross...

A standard wingsuit should help here... it's not flight perse, but more soaring...

flying squirrel suit... check...
    flying squirrel suit... check...

This isn't a powered flight, but the footage shot by this guy while flying in his special suit reminds us of Iron Man’s feats of daring do. The wingsuit is pretty much reserved for skydivers and daredevils, as evidenced by the way this guy heads straight for the sharp mountain peaks in this video. Amazing.

Or i could take a leaf out of this crazy french dude, and just strap a pair of wings on my back along with a 48Psi jet... seriously, this dude's frickin crazy...

CRAZY ASS FRENCH JET DUDE

But i can live without flying into trees, or mountains for that matter... Ok, so we've got flight out of the way... sort of anyway...now for the HUD, or Heads Up Display...

HUD... check...
    HUD... check...
    Put on a Bluetooth headset for your cellphone as you wear this Sportvue MC2 helmet, and you’ll have a rough approximation of Iron Man’s heads-up display. This one’ s made for motorcycles, showing your speed, RPM and gear, but surely it could be adapted for flying, fending off bad guys and saving the world from evildoers.

hmm... powered suit, check... Flight, check... HUD, check.... ahh yes, weapons... now we need some of those fancy repulser ray thingies... hmmm.... this may be tricky...

Weapons... check...
    Weapons... check...
    OK, to do what Iron Man does with those repulsor rays would take the total output of a nuclear power plant, so let’s settle for the effect of sparks coming from our fingers. Or let’s have you do it, and we’ll watch. The guy in the picture goofs around with Tesla coils, making sparks fly at will. He even does one crazy trick involving himself standing in a swimming pool. On second thought, my Iron Man can do without such hijinks.

Ok... scarily enough, as i found with the Batman toys... if you have enough money, and are a certificable lunatic... you could actually create your own set of Iron Man armor in the real world... slightly scary, and more than a little disturbing...

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Methos

Also, just a random poll...

i've now looked at the tech for Batman and Iron Man...

which non powered Superhero would people like me to take a look at next time?

M

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By G'bandit

O_O dang looks hard to make XD

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

but it would be soooo much fun lol

M

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

i thought now you had a girlfriend... you would YOU KNOW have a life.....

:-P

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Methos

i have a life...

but that's not going to change my love of cutting edge tech lol

M

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jax

Hmmm....maybe with a few err things removed I could make one of these. I wouldn't mind bulk as long as I could move around.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Methos

i just found it quite funny that you could actually build 90% of an Iron Man armour suit in the real world... that's pretty damn cool lol

M

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AtPhantom

You forgot the bio-neural link for control of the armor.

But otherwise, really nice work, I love these threads.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Methos said:
    "i have a life...

but that's not going to change my love of cutting edge tech lol

M"
    SURRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE you do dear............ SURRRRRREEEEEEE you do....................
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Methos
    AtPhantom said:
    "You forgot the bio-neural link for control of the armor.

unfortunately the best i could actually find was the 'muscle control' system built in with the HAL armor... but i did look for bio-nural tech lol

M
    winggundam01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually with today's technologies it is very possible to build a real working iron man suit

It may sound absurd and ridiculous to many, many people out there but i think with proper research it is very possible.

First the power source for the electricity and the fuel, it is true that energy cannot be created, but an efficient working machine with close to 98% efficiency is possible, as 100% creates perpetual motion which is fictional.

assume that instead of the arc reactor, a palm sized gas turbine, turbo shaft type (meaning makes shaft power instead of thrust) is placed on the chest, it will provide shaft power to provide torque to the generators which will make electricity; today there are highly advanced generators which can be small in size, lightweight yet provide a lot of electricity; with the electricity the various systems can be powered, the boots, and all hydraulic actuators for movement and flight; there are highly advanced DC servo motors with hydraulic power that can have up to 1:20,000 ratio in terms of power, meaning if 1 newton of force is applied, 20,000 newtons will emerge, hence giving super strength and the ability to lift heavy objects as well as moving the suit itself which is the main concern. the problem is electricity, batteries are too heavy and too weak to power such servo motors, hence the original iron man uses a nuclear reactor, for this real life iron man, a combination of a gas turbine with generators is used to provide the required electricity; another problem rising is the fuel; well luckily for us gas turbine engines can burn any fuel with the required modification; now what is the most abundant element in the universe, available in soil, water and for our case in the air; the answer is hydrogen which has 3 times the amount of energy as kerosene, but due to its density it requires more fuel burn time then kerosene; the gas turbine can have injectors and the turbine modified to handle hydrogen, it is highly explosive and releases very high temperatures, therefore it will be shielded by the tungsten with a 5000+ degrees Fahrenheit melting point and the metal with the least amount of thermal heat expansion, along with reinforced carbon-carbon, the human will be safe from the heat.

There is a method to produce hydrogen directly from the air, it is quite complicated but easy once understood; in the atmosphere up to the stratosphere there is water vapor present, even in the poles, but people say it is 0% because the water vapor is frozen but in the air in tiny particles, hence if u breathe cold air in the arctic and antarctic regions you will have injuries to your lungs as they begin to freeze; by using an Air cycle machine; electricity is used to provide both life support oxygen and fuel for the engines; in aircraft nowadays there is a an air cycle machine providing air conditioned air to the cabin, but faces a problem, water, it generates so much water that it requires sometimes two water separators, if these were not there it would be raining inside and aircraft's cabin; well for us we use this water for electrolysis which will produce oxygen and hydrogen, hydrogen is sent to the gas turbine to burn directly with atmospheric air, and sent to a cryogenic tank located in the back to store hydrogen in liquid form to be used in the boots.

The boots can be of rocket engine type, also have a much simplified version of the air cycle machine and electrolysis machine directly into the engines in order to provide fuel directly from rammed air and power the boots independently, the tank in the back may be used for space flights.

a gas turbine engine turbo shaft type of a palm sized dimension will create approximately 70-90 horsepower, converted to electricity by three generators each with a 30 horsepower capacity and 97% efficiency can provide 45-70 kw of electricity enough to power a small residential area, (average house consumes 3 kw) there are 7 air cycle machines, one in each leg, one in each shoulder, one in each elbow and a larger one placed on the back, each cycle machine/electrolysis will have a small DC motor of 4.5 kw together that makes 31.5 kw if all are running; for each cycle machine approximately 40 liters of water an hour can be made if running at full capacity; this is 350 liters an hour, now for every 8 liters of water 1 liter of hydrogen can be produced, so in one hour at full capacity approximately 43.75 liters of hydrogen can be produced to fuel the rocket boots, VASIMR engines in the palm of the hand for flight stability and to fuel the gas turbine itself. The available power is used to power the various servo motors located all around the suit, in flight there wont be much demand as the suit tends to stay still, however thee flight controls will be used, when walking, 4 of the air cycle machines will be turned off to power the servo motors for movement since it requires a lot of electricity demand;

materials for the suit can be titanium, tungsten and carbon based compounds; titanium alone will rip under strong forces, whereas tungsten alone will crack, but the combination of the two, usually a titanium based material with tungsten coating can withstand huge amounts of forces, since titanium bends and tungsten cracks, with the correct procedure, the combination of the two can make a material which can withstand shocks as well as shear stresses and forces, also both materials have already ridiculous high melting points, with a reinforced carbon-carbon shell on the inner part of the material, the part most facing the human being, can have a maximum heat resistance to 7000+ degrees Fahrenheit before failures start to occur with the littlest possible heat transfer, ensuring maximum safety for the operator from explosions, blasts, bullets, re-entry temperatures, fire and even molten steel.

the suit can be interfaced with an AI computer system interconnected to all the components of the suit, with voice activated commands, pressure sensors in the palms, feet, shoulder, back and thighs can ensure the operator to control the suit. for example for walking, the pressure sensors detect the muscles of the human body which are contracting and expanding when tensing the muscle and thus it is transformed into electrical impulses which are going to be analysed by the AI computer and determine the action to be taken, it will not be that as soon as the action is required the motion starts, it is based on muscle and nerve impulses so that the operator can walk and move with ease without having the suit executing commands of its own, usually as portrayed in the movie, the suit is at 35:65 ratio in terms of power used, so if the operator requires slow walking then the suit will amplify his/her strength in order to overcome the weight of the suit; so this system only amplifies the human strength in order to achieve movement and execute various movements and so on without it being 100% computer controlled, still required the human input.

the auit as a whole will not have 100% efficiency meaning that eventually it will run out of fuel and stop working unless an external source is applied, however to achieve this the suit has to be operated beyong human tolerances, as in 30-40 hours non-stop, back-up batteries can be placed in the major muscle groups of the human body, legs and back mainly to provide vital power if all else fails.

to conclude i can understand that this may be fictional and around 98% of mankind will not believe of such thing happening, to the followers out there, nothing is impossible and i hope one day i can construct such a machine.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

spotandjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spotandjake

That is a very good idea and I understand what you are saying by a machine cannot make power infinitely but that is not totally true Tesla's quantum energy generator or QEG for short can output 10kw for every 1kw put in. You could put the QEG in and use Tesla's wireless electricity to make it more compact and reliable because there is no wires to get broken as well as use little jet engines for flight and tesla discovered a way to take static energy from the air you can use that for emergency power and lithium ion batteries for compactness as well use the Microsoft holopoint for the hue at least that is what I think the name is it is an ar headset that you can use for your hud with the wireless electricity thing you could also recharge on the go when you are near a transmitter

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.