Follow

Iron Man Armor

Object » Iron Man Armor appears in 3006 issues.

Tony Stark has designed and built a variety of armors which he uses as Iron Man. Their appearance and capabilities are continually evolving as Tony modifies and upgrades his technology.

How do the guys in the 'Iron Man' suits survive?

Afterglow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Afterglow

I was reading Roger Ebert's review of 'Iron Man 2' and, this is an excerpt of his review; 

'Since both movies have essentially the same story arc, there aren't a lot of surprises, however, which started me to wondering how the guys survive inside those suits. Sure, the suits are armored, but their bodies aren't. How many dizzying falls and brutal blows and sneaky explosions can you survive without breaking every bone in your body? Just asking'. At the end of a long day, those suits should be filled with bloody pulp.'  

Amazingly, I've never thought about this myself. Ebert isn't a comic buff, so there might be some sort of scientific explanation.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think ol'Roger is thinking to much and trying to be reality into fantasy. But yeah the skin tight armors like Iron Man (classic) he would have been dead from a powerful blow or fall. Now the post Extremis Stark's body has changed enough that it is part of him even more. The movie I am going to say internal dampening effects so how, whether its shock absorbs between the body and armor, or something else entirely.

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gordocomics

i'm gonna say that in the marvel comic-verse as well as movie-verse there exists technology that allows the interior of the suit to be both closely fit and spacious (opposites, i know) as well as both comfortable and protective.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Icon
    @Nova`Prime` said:

" I think ol'Roger is thinking to much and trying to be reality into fantasy. But yeah the skin tight armors like Iron Man (classic) he would have been dead from a powerful blow or fall. Now the post Extremis Stark's body has changed enough that it is part of him even more. The movie I am going to say internal dampening effects so how, whether its shock absorbs between the body and armor, or something else entirely. "

Yeah, Stark designed it to absorb impact more than anything, which should seem obvious. He's not simply wearing metal clothes. And really, this is like "just asking" how can Superman fly without a propulsion system, or how can the Emperor in Star Wars who is flesh and blood become a conduit for electricity without killing himself? Powers, even tech based ones, require the suspension of disbelief in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Iron Man is not a documentary about a real guy in armor who didn't take into account the affects of impact. Roger just thinks he is being clever.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Icon said:
    " And really, this is like "just asking" how can Superman fly without a propulsion system, or how can the Emperor in Star Wars who is flesh and blood become a conduit for electricity without killing himself? "
    *ahem* Actually...

1. Superman casts a light TK field around himself. When lifting large objects, the field is extended to them (this is how, when lifting large and heavy things, they don't just collapse around him). At least this is what I read somewhere. And plus, I think he's the descended of some Kryptonian god or something, and therefore magic comes into play.
    2. Magic, mysticism, whatever you want to call it. It's the Force. It is sorcery (particularly the Dark Side, which is very much based on sorcery and mystic spells).

As for the question asked: I would imagine there is an underlying suit under the armor meant to protect him. It's possible that the kinetic energy is dispersed around him (I made all of that up, by the way. I don't know how he doesn't get crushed - especially in his Mach I suit). As for in the comics, he and the armor are literally one. The suit is him and he is the suit. It is a part of him.

Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25

Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25

Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Icon
    @JediXMan: Yeah I know what the basis of their powers are. My point is that they are fantastical and unreal, and therefore it makes no sense to ask how they could be possible in the real world. It is not real life that we are watching, but something entirely fictional. Roger Ebert was breaking the suspension of disbelief in a way that irked me. All that matters is that their powers/abilities make sense in the context of their fictional world. That goes for Iron Man's technology. His suit is designed to protect the wearer. It's silly to make the kind of assertion Roger made.
    lennyoks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lennyoks

Possible explanations 
    Inertial dampers: same principle that enables space ships  a la enterprise to speed up to sublight speed in seconds without G-forces destroying  the crew 
    Vibranium : or something like it is involved, tis the reason cap america can take a hulk blow on his shield  without  breaking everything in his body, vibranium absorbs  a large bit of the impact 
    Different Universe, different rules: (duh) so inertia does things differently in the marvel U. 
    @icon please don't say its not real, you hurt my feelings!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.