k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

I know this will shock some, but the highlight of this issue for me is Greg Land and Guru Efx's art. Despite some awkward panel layout, slightly jarring inking, and confusion over impact, the arena fight looked fairly solid as Tony grew battered and beaten while he attempted to evade massive pieces of rubble. The visuals also impressed with Death's Head and when Tony finally got a chance to step back into his armor. No matter how much you dislike Land's art, I think we can at least agree he does some pretty good work when it comes to the non-organic elements in the title.

Kieron Gillen does an able job with the dialogue and keeps conversations fairly amusing. There's no sharp banter here, but the reactions feel appropriate and he managed to give Death's Head an interesting personality. The concept of Tony having an armory following him around was both a logical and humorous development -- humorous to me because it essentially feels like a heavily armed space RV (and so begins the memories of Spaceballs).

The Bad

With so much buildup behind the gladiator-esque fight between Iron Man and Death's Head (not to mention a rather sweet cover), I was hoping it would be way more electrifying. The panel layout is less than ideal, cutting off a series of moments that makes you feel as though you're missing part of the action. As stated above, there's also an issue when it comes to a sense of impact when debris smashes and one panel where he's apparently. Additionally, moments later on that should feel bombastic come and go without a real sense of the devastating and powerful event that just happened. Instead, everything just wraps up abruptly due to a big twist and sets the stage for what's next. Now, the twist will obviously be greatly elaborated upon in the coming arc, but as of right now the minimal details sadly leave me not interested in what's to come.

The Verdict

We'll of course find out why a cloaking device is so important in due time, but as of right now, this isn't a direction that fascinates me nearly enough to warrant $3.99 per issue to eventually learn the details. That's too bad, too, because sending Tony into space seemed like a thrilling direction, but right now I'm feeling no strong desire to continue. I suppose I'll have to wait until the Guardians of the Galaxy are slapped on the cover before I'm motivated to jump on board again... and seeing as both franchises have movies on the way, it's safe to assume that day will come sooner rather than later.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I know this will shock some, but the highlight of this issue for me is Greg Land and Guru Efx's art.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This comic continues to make me dislike the comic book version of Tony Stark even more.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall

@k4tzm4n: I am notably shocked :P Land art kills a book for me these days (I weathered through the entirety of his X-Men run).

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Fenderxx

God, That cover is killer tho

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killen and Land are obviously a horrible combination.

Land is just horrible by himself already.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

poor Ironman. Atleast he has an awesome movie comin' out.

sinsear912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Land is the new Liefeld

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I dropped this series after 2

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@daredevil21134: I did it after 1. Don't have that same vibe as Gillen's other books.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brezej said:

@daredevil21134: I did it after 1. Don't have that same vibe as Gillen's other books.

Seems like he's trying to hard to mimic RDJ

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Every writer at Marvel has been trying to write Iron Man like RDJ these days. I wasn't really an Iron Man fan either. And it takes me time to really like Greg Land's art. Was thinking about giving Captain America a try though.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brezej said:

@daredevil21134: Every writer at Marvel has been trying to write Iron Man like RDJ these days. I wasn't really an Iron Man fan either. And it takes me time to really like Greg Land's art. Was thinking about giving Captain America a try though.

I tried Cap ,I didn't really dig that either

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Haven't read one issue, but was looking to add something, because I dropped 2 books (Cable & X-Force & Avengers Academy).

Mr_Tedward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brezej: i don't know what you read but i'm having lots of fun with Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders, thunderbolts is pretty good too, sorry if you already pick these up but they're my suggestions

Iridium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

I was quite excited to see where Iron Man, as a series, would go after years of being under the horrible yolk of Fraction and his mind-alteringly bad writing.

Alas, the situation has not improved. It may actually be (gasp) worse.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg Land's art is amazing. You're all uncultured fools to think otherwise.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ILLO_29

I love how a positive review for Land's art is "fairly solid", I can't stand it and the writing isn't much better. I've been sticking with it because I enjoy Iron Man but I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. Is the creative them (or at least the artist) changing anytime soon?

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JamDamage

makes me miss Fraction on this title. Sure Fraction took forever to finish his story for I.M. but WOW was a good run.

nrgb2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Land is the new Liefeld

YES!!!! Hahaha!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stand Greg Lands art. I love Iron Man but this $#!t is getting painful to look at.

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_tedward: I read Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders. I love both of them especially Young Avengers, it is my favorite Marvel book. Thunderbolts I have been scared to give a try.

oliviae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much lovvvve this. <3

Mr_Tedward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr_Tedward

@brezej: Thunderbolts is a good fun read though the plot is a little muddled and the first artist Steve Dillon is not great for this book Daniel Way does a great job with the characters and the new artist Phil Noto is awesome check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.