Follow

Iron Man 3

Movie » Iron Man 3 released on April 25, 2013.

Iron Man 3, released on May 3, 2013 (USA). It stars Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Sir Ben Kingsley.

"How Captain America in AVENGERS gave the true meaning behind everything IRON MAN 3"

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jordanstine

Kind of spoilerish, but if you've seen the movie, read on!

----

Kind of spoilerish but feel free to read after you've seen the movie, if you already have then read on...

----

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 3 is Tony Stark's search for the answer to Captain America's question back in The Avengers: "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that away -- what are you?"

Tony had been holding onto his arc reactor chest piece because he thought it defined who he was as Iron Man, which is also why he spent a lot of sleepless nights building and building more armors.

In the end of IM3, with the help of the Extremis formula on Pepper, Tony could use it and also finally let his arc reactor go because he finally understood that Iron Man is the man who "built" the armor (The Mechanic) and not the armor that wears the man.

That similar meaning is also conveyed between Aldrich Killian and the real meaning behind The Mandarin. In other words, Killian was Tony, while The Mandarin was just Killian's suit of armor.

"I am the Mandarin" was what Killian said to Tony during their final

battle

, which did two things: 1st it highlighted probably Mandarin's most famous line "You'll never see me coming." 2nd it also reverberated the last thing Tony said before the end.

And despite that Tony no longer has any Iron Man suits to wear, it didn't matter anymore because like Tony said in the end of the film even without the armor, "I... AM... Iron Man".

P.S.

On a different sidenote, Killian was the human version of The Mandarin's Fing Fang Foom complete with dragon tattoos and fire breath!

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool analysis, I caught most of it except for the parallel with Kilian/Mandarin.

Also, Captain America ftw!

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good analysis.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Jedted

Well said! I did kinda see the parallel with Killian is the REAL Mandarin and Ben Kingsley is just public persona which he created. Still think the fire breathing was a little over the top.

I can't wait to see what suit Tony builds for the next movie(is there an IM4 before the next Avengers?).

Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Tem Borjigin

The Mandarin has dragon tattoos.

Killian has dragon tattoos.

The Mandarin is a superhuman martial artist capable of karate-chopping off chunks of armor.

Killian is a superhuman who karate-chops off chunks of armor.

The Mandarin is a mad scientist.

Killian is a mad scientist.

Killian is The Mandarin.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great analysis. You really helped me get around some of the points I was torn on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.