undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There have been storylines of Iron Fist losing his...iron fist before, it’s a version of a trope as old as the mystical kung-fu genre itself, but Kaare Andrews, as he so often does, managed to put an interesting spin on it when he had the entire connection to the chi and K’un Lun severed by a strange, mechanized...living metaphor, would be the easiest way to describe it. Now his arms are healing and he’s re-learning how to fight without the use of his chi, much in the same way Wolverine had to learn to fight without his healing factor when he encountered an enemy that could circumvent it. Danny Rand’s portions of this are by far the most interesting as we plumb into his distant and less distant past and see how the characters he’s training with now connect to his history. Rand and Sparrow are well-written and their master Fooh is another interesting spin on a well-worn trope: not a mysterious, inscrutable old man, but the mechanic who’s kept K’un Lun going across the years.

Andrews also handles the art from top-to-bottom and does a generally great job. There’s a version of Iron Fist we get to see near the end of the issue that I won’t describe partially because it’s a spoiler and partially because I don’t think reading it would do it justice, it really should be seen to get the full effect. Again, the training sections are well drawn and flow from panel-to-panel, like blinking frequently and long during an especially surreal martial arts movie movie.

The Bad

Whenever the focus leaves Rand, Sparrow and the mysterious mechanic, the book loses a lot of momentum and focus. The machinations of the villains, and the attempts by Brenda Swanson and Detective Li to derail them, don’t make for particularly compelling storylines, unfortunately. I just had a hard time connecting or caring about anything that went on in that mysterious boardroom and Swanson seems to be falling further and further, motivation-wise, into doing what the plot needs her to do. I get that her character has developed in the last few issues, developed well even, but both her and her compatriot seem shoehorned into the storyline.

While I’m generally a fan of Andrews’ art, there are a few panels here and there where it falters. Characters look completely different than how they did previously or subsequently (leading to an especially confounding kiss) and some of the designs just don’t gel for me. For instance: I’m a big fan of how Sparrow is drawn, but not a fan of her design overall.

The Verdict

The story of Danny putting the iron back into his fist is good enough to hold this book up and recommend it, though this issue is not particularly new-reader friendly. Dig up some back issues and definitely check out the first trade if you feel the itch to get some unconventional kung-fu in your superheroics, or whatever genres you particularly enjoy. This is still a good issue overall, but considering the previous ones it falls flat.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I don't see the kiss that confounding, I mean they had sex in the last issue.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I remember being excited for this series, but so far have been disappointed . Just seems to be a bit unfocused on the direction it wants to go? I dunno, just seems off to me

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe it was due to the long wait between issues, but I have really lost interest in this series. Wasn't too impressed with this installment either. I doubt I will be around for issue 8.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@cap10nate: It's only another 6 issues, may as well stick with it

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonny_anonymous: I really just don't care where the story is going and have a big backlog of books to read due to a bunch of Comixology sales (Gotham Central, Flash, Wonder Woman, inhumans) as well the entire run of the Fantastic Four that I purchased. i may pick the remaining six issues when it is all said and done and read the story straight through, but I don't get any enjoyment out of these issues every 4-6 weeks like I do most of my other pulls.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember being excited for this series, but so far have been disappointed . Just seems to be a bit unfocused on the direction it wants to go? I dunno, just seems off to me

I completely agree and dropped the book. I waned to like it so much but its just all over the place and just strange.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagejonathan: Ugh,I hate that I agree with you guys. I love Iron Fist, one of my favorites since I was a kid, but I dropped this also. It's ok, but there are just too many titles I like better and I have to keep some sort of budget lol.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really like this Iron Fist series, one of my fave atm, 5/5 for me. Love the art and the way the storie has technology and kung fu mashed together

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I own almost every comic Danny has ever appeared in and even I can't get into this. His last series a million times better.

webbcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By webbcity
    @eamon542000 said:

Really like this Iron Fist series, one of my fave atm, 5/5 for me. Love the art and the way the storie has technology and kung fu mashed together

This!

A 3-star review, really? This is a five star issue for me. I'm really sorry more people can't get into it but I think it's absolutely brilliant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.