inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

IRON FIST: THE LIVING WEAPON has been very enjoyable take on Danny Rand, thus far. This issue deals mainly with some moments in Rand's recent history rather than the startling revelations which took place in the last issue. The pace is a bit slower here as Kaare Kyle Andrews delves into some moments between Brenda and Danny.

The dialogue, in these opening scenes, is fantastic. Both Brenda and Danny have strong voices within these scenes and it's believable, to a point. No one is really lifting someone else up with one leg and doing one-handed push ups, but hey, he's a super-hero. What the scene does extremely well is grow the relationship between the two characters.

For readers newer to Iron Fist, this issue puts a lot of Danny's part into perspective and really helps develop the character. For those who just jumped on for this series, this particular issue shows a much more human side to the character and therefore, he becomes a much more compelling character to the reader.

On the art side of things, this book is still extremely strong. One thing Andrews does, which I have fallen head-over-heels in love with, is give an aging effect to the pages that take place in the past. Aside from making this a "no brainer" for readers being able to determine whether or not the scene took place in the past or the present, the effect is incredibly cool. The colored look, the folded pages, and the crinkled up paper gives this amazing look to the book which truly stands out.

This is a pretty chilling issue as Andrews' art gives readers some ghostly moments as Danny deals with his past. Kaare's creature designs really stand out and have a look that will keep reader's eyes glued to the page. The color work here, as well, works so well, especially during the scenes in the past where everything has a sepia tone look.

The Bad

There was a scene here that was pretty awkward and didn't fit. While Danny and Brenda are chatting it up, Danny shows Brenda some kung fu. During this scene she accidentally kicks him in the back of the head, which is still fine. After that, she uses a taser on him. Then, she tries to use it again. Then, Danny and Bredna have sex. Huh? What is going on? It's such a weird moment and doesn't make sense.

The Verdict

IRON FIST: THE LIVING WEAPON is a bit different than the other Marvel books on the shelf, which many have taken a more light-hearted and fun approach to story telling. This book is dark and sad, without over-doing it. Danny Rand's past is explored and he has a lot of demons in his past which still haunt him to this day. This is an Iron Fist for a new generation of Marvel readers and Andrews is doing a fine job at putting together a first story arc which isn't just strong. It's also shaping who Danny Rand is now in the Marvel Universe. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Danny shows Brenda some kung fu. During this scene she accidentally kicks him in the back of the head, which is still fine. After that, she uses a taser on him. Then, she tries to use it again. Then, Danny and Bredna have sex. Huh? What is going on? It's such a weird moment and doesn't make sense.

Man, we've all been there.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Looking forward to this book, but ya man I dont understand the issue with taser sex ?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inferiorego  Staff

Danny shows Brenda some kung fu. During this scene she accidentally kicks him in the back of the head, which is still fine. After that, she uses a taser on him. Then, she tries to use it again. Then, Danny and Bredna have sex. Huh? What is going on? It's such a weird moment and doesn't make sense.

Man, we've all been there.

@fenderxx said:

Looking forward to this book, but ya man I dont understand the issue with taser sex ?

Man, I'm so conservative....

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I been hearing a lot of negative reviews on this series. Danny is my brother's favorite character and he also has mixed feeling on this series so i'm not sure what to think of this.But it seems like I came across a reviewer who likes it so that's good lol

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Is today Wednesday?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Paste_Pot_Pete

I feel like the taser sex should be a positive.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@madeinbangladesh said:

Is today Wednesday?

It's an early review.

I thought only Issue 1 of a comic or a important special issue got early reviews? Why Iron Fist?

webbcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been a great series so far and I await each new ish with anticipation... can't wait to pick up my copy of #4 tomorrow!

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think this has been an awesome series, right from the start. In fact "Iron Fist" is to me (and over-simplifying things a bit for effect) Marvel's own "Animal Man". Both were/are fantastic books featuring characters that hadn't been given time to shine for a long while, both have/had a very visceral art style, and both just stood out from their compatriots on a number of levels. Absolutely loving it so far.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I don't understand... I've ready may complains about this series been too dark, too gritty, to sad...

And so? What's the real problem?

First of all, not all Marvel Comic Book MUST be funny and lightheart... we have plenty of them, so I think it's right to have some more darker book...

Second, Iron Fist IS a Dark character.

Anyone you say "oh no, It's Iron Fist, he cannot be so dark..." had no readed "Iron Fist, Immortal Weapon", the incredible Fraction/Brubaker run, that had some incredible dark tone.

I think that a Iron Fist his perfect for a dark toned comic book :)

My only complain will be if the current run dosen't follow the complex history of previous series, but so far this book is good :)

...also...taser sex? Interesting...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Hopefully this issue isn't as dark and gritty as the rest have been.

webbcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I reallydug this issue. I didn't have a problem with the whole taser/sex thing at all...what does that say about me? Seriously though, I think the stage is being set here for a lot of interesting stuff (as if this series hasn't been interesting enough already)... Brenda clearly is hiding some things that are going to come out sooner or later. I think this issue also helped to put in perspective Danny's dark mood and character over the first few issues. Brenda is trying to get him to lighten up and open up more, while also hinting at some of her own dark side. And the art...boy, I love Andrews' art, just fantastic.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrews' art seems to fluctuate in quality from one page to the next for me. And all the red is starting to get to me.

And I know there have been plenty of intimate moments depicted in Marvel books before, but DAMN!

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One of my favorite books right now, love the tone, art and characters

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is too weird im droppin it

webbcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am diggin' the weird!

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wanna read this book but the art is so bad i cant take it

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I never thought Marvel would be ballsy enough to have two pages dedicated to Danny preforming oral sex. This book reads like a show i would watch on HBO and I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.