Sue and the Wheel

• 117 results
#51 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: I guess so but that is all speculative, and to get back to the main point, equally a psychic should be able to control their mental faculties enough not to give themselves a headache.

#52 Edited by Dernman (15812 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I became aware of the nose bleed thing when using mental powers was when I watched that 1984 movie Firestarter. The father bleed every time he used his powers. The daughter also bleed but not as much. I believe it was because her power was greater then his and she didn't have to struggle as much. It makes me wonder who started the trend and when did it start.

#53 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: It would be interesting to figure it out. I am sure someone on the internet has looked it up.

#54 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: true it's speculative. but when it comes to mental powers, it's not something natural to them. I've seen psychics overcome the nosebleed; that's when they have attained full control of their powers.

our muscles were made through thousands and thousands of years of evolutive advance, to do what supers do, except at a smaller scale. psychich powers are unnatural so they kinda dont follow the same rules until you dominate them and learn to control them i guess.

sorry if this sounds like a cop out argument, but it's just how I see those mental powers

#55 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: Its not a copout, part of what I do is try to introduce some hard science into science fiction, where sometimes it needs to be left soft. I understand overthinking things as I do it all the time.

#56 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: hu hum, it's hard to resist doing that though! some things are just so in our face we can't just stand by a not pick at it

#57 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: Its why I revisited this even though it was six years later.

#58 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio
#59 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz:

You sound strangely accomplished for someone who doesn't know much about Physics >.> <.<

That aside, I'd say that the Physics problems presented by FF rise of the silver surfer were the least of its problems.

As for Jessica Alba and her runny nose, I'd say it a valid point, but I think its more about highlighting the scale of the feats she is performing. And considering that she is the most powerful of the Four, I don't really see that as sexist, but maybe that's just me..........

#60 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
#61 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Its just what I could dredge up from my memory from high school. Most physics is pretty basic when I discuss it.

#62 Posted by moorebman90 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Well her powers are psionic so this all is right she has the energy other telepaths use for their powers

#63 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

Over analyzing a terrible movie, and an even worse portayal of a character...but good math.

#64 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@moorebman90: Well powers being psionic is kind of arbitrary as it is fiction after all.

#65 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@dh69: I stated in the OP that I was overanalyzing and additionally that people would tell me even despite my admission, that I was overanalyzing it.

#66 Edited by SpidermanWins (3963 posts) - - Show Bio

This a fantastic blog post. Nice

#67 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
#68 Posted by cfrehse (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

sue might wanna show some skin cause she knows she is good looking lol. THe nose bleed thing has been done in the comics several times also.

#69 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

She used her powers to their highest limits, which exerted her noses blood vessels enough to make her nose bleed. Unlike the rest of the FF, the movie Sue (as you surely know, Sue merely sweats under alot of pressure, in comics) happens to be more sensitive to nosebleeds, like some people are.

That`s how I figure it.

#70 Edited by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct indeed. I also don't know why she's fairly useless in these films, whereas in the comics she is clearly stated by Doctor Doom as being easily the most powerful.

#71 Edited by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the nose bleed is more she's the most powerful and her powers put her body under the most strain. and i think the wheel was actually moving the force field and causing her to need to step back.

#72 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Most comic book psychics get nosebleeds when they're under pressure (both genders included).

#73 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
#75 Posted by Omnicrono (2190 posts) - - Show Bio

I never once thought her nose bleeds occurred due to the fact that she is a woman. Not until this article.

For whatever that's worth.

#76 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: It was just an observation that I had while writing this, not meant to be canon.

#79 Posted by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Have you seen the movie Chronicle? That is a more recent movie in which guys get nosebleeds every time they stress their telekinetic powers.

#80 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@calebhara: Ok, but her powers are not telekinetic, at least not in the comics.

#81 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@calebhara: Ok, but her powers are not telekinetic, at least not in the comics.

#84 Posted by DocLuthorVonDoom (101 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: It's an awful movie with tons of glaring flaws, I'm not in disagreement with you. The wheel is one of many of such glaring flaws; although, not the biggest, and I can forgive the dismissal of basic laws of physics, as it is a movie; I mean, I don't object when there's sounds and explosions in space in Star Trek films, or when Bogie's M3 Tank has a pivotal turret in Sahara; I can forgive the minor mistakes and suspend my disbelief if the movie has been, otherwise, entertaining; sadly the FF movies were not.

But at the end of this thing, you lost me. Isn't it more likely that she gets nosebleeds because she has mental based psionic abilities (the others do not) rather then some subversive bit of propaganda to make women look weak? Nosebleeds are a common theme used to show that a telekinetic has pushed their limits, implicating brain hemorrhaging if the powers were pushed further. It's a bit of a hackneyed and over used device by this point, but I hardly think it's sexist.

#85 Edited by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@docluthorvondoom: It was not a major point of my post (though it seems to have become one). I think Sue's abilities are not psychic based though.

#86 Posted by DocLuthorVonDoom (101 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Well, all their powers are a bit...undefined. From what i understand, Sue's abilities are meant to be psionic in nature, it's seems Johnny's would be too, but his generally seem to be refered to as an extension of will...I couldn't really tell you how these differ; and I'm sure there's tons of examples supporting or denying these claims. But it's not a stretch for me to believe that this is how the creative, (I use the term lightly), team responsible for the movie interpreted Sue's powers, and so they decided to put in some cliches accordingly; I really don't think gender politics played into it, at least not that particular part of the movie.

#87 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

The first time I became aware of the nose bleed thing when using mental powers was when I watched that 1984 movie Firestarter. The father bleed every time he used his powers. The daughter also bleed but not as much. I believe it was because her power was greater then his and she didn't have to struggle as much. It makes me wonder who started the trend and when did it start.

@jorgevy: I guess so but that is all speculative, and to get back to the main point, equally a psychic should be able to control their mental faculties enough not to give themselves a headache.

i suppose it's comparible to the Alpha level Mutant and Omega level mutant line, whereas an Alpha level mutant like Magneto can use his powers to an extreme extant but not without drawbacks (i. e. Magneto with Kitty pride and the comet), and an Omega level mutant like Iceman simply going and going and going without any visible sideeffects.

#88 Posted by Veitha (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice blog! As a lot of people stated before, I think that the nosebleed is due to her powers being psionics(her brain cells are able to react to cosmic energy to create this fields if I'm not wrong). Emma Frost bleeds very often too haha

#91 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe there is a hidden agenda from the directer, added in after he had to work with her for a few weeks, her nose bleeds so her "fans" can imagine she just got punched in the face ...

I'm sorry ma'am, I meant to say: 'This coffee is perfect'!

#92 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: I am pretty sure that is kind of mean and furthermore not accurate.

#93 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Maybe, coincidentally, I just finished reading a bunch of articles about how 'nice' she is on set... my opinion might be a little biased at the moment...

#95 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Edited by ThomasElliot (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, bringing up the point about the focal point of the 'stoppage', i.e., it would have been easier to stop the wheel by putting the force closer to the top of the wheel:

So wouldn't that mean her force field here is spread out in a cone shape? In other words, if her force field had less of an area and was more like a giant, straight pencil, couldn't the wheel have tumbled over her like a see-saw? So the momentum of the falling wheel would have carried it over her and flipped it? Or even, the wheel would have bent or broke in half at the point it meets her force field?

I'm not trying to pretend to remember anything from science or physics class, just an uninformed assumption.

Love this analysis though. We all know that we suspend belief for sci-fi movies, but its still fun to break it down.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.