Follow

Invisible Woman

Character » Invisible Woman appears in 6183 issues.

Susan Storm is a founding member of the Fantastic Four and later the Future Foundation. She is able to create invisible force fields of any shape she conceives and able to turn herself and anything she's in contact with invisible. Sue is the wife of Reed Richards and the mother of their children, Franklin and Valeria.

Can Sue's Forcefields Stop Telepathy?

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Esquire

I've done a little research and haven't been able to find a lot of proof either way. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By catfightfan

I am unaware of any instance where your question was put to the test. Myself, I doubt that her force field could stop telepathy.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

maybe

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

i think it really just depends on how powerful the persons telepathy is, for example I think emma's, jean's and prof X's might be able to penetrate it since they are cosmic in telepathy just depends i guess not sure though

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By catfightfan

Hopefully Marvel will put it to the test someday.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Esquire
    No Caption Provided

This and the above scan would indicate that they can stop TP. However, Emma seems to be able to penetrate a forcefield in this scan:

No Caption Provided

So the issue doesn't seem to have a definitive answer.

moorebman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that last one didn't show that it was completely covering sue the others

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crimz

Resurrecting this old thread to post this:

No Caption Provided

Yes they can stop telepathy.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, @scarlet_wiccan, I suppose we are doing this.

“Jean's best qauntifiable reaction speeds ranges around mach 20 while Sue can attack at 60+ mach and what further proves this is that Jean couldn't react to the gamma bomb Sue contained in Infinity War so why can't Sue just drop Jean before she can react.

Also I'm willing to debate Sue's force field vs telepathy but not against five people at once.”

I don’t think that’s remotely true. I think that’s about the minimum, since she has shielded from bombs point-blank in the past:

No Caption Provided

She has at her best blocked lasers from the Stranger at point-blank range

No Caption Provided

She has even reacted to Monica Rambeau in energy form as Monica is proceeding to tear open her cocoon

No Caption Provided

Heck, Jean has even fought Sue in the past. Even if you want to argue Sue somehow forgot her knowledge when she was brainwashed here, her reaction timings and the way her powers work do not.

No Caption Provided

Jean’s reaction timing gap between hers and Sue’s is not that wide. Even if you wanna argue Sue’s power is greater, it is not because Sue is faster.

As far as the telepathy goes, Sue can block mental probing, but I argue she hasn’t blocked anyone on Jean’s level telepathic-wise.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

From Sue's Handbook write-up
    From Sue's Handbook write-up

Here Sue's Handbook write-up states that "Sue's psionic energy (the energy she uses to make her force fields) can counteract and interact with other forms of energy, especially psionic energy."

Examples of this includes...

Fantastic Four (1961) #28 and #286

Sue's force field neutralizes Jean's telekinesis on two separate occasions. Telekinesis is a psionic ability.

Fantastic Four (1961) Annual #25
    Fantastic Four (1961) Annual #25

Sue's force field prevents Sersi from directly affecting her body with matter manipulation, Sersi psionically manipulates matter.

Vs actual Telepaths

Fantastic Four (1961) #384

Psi-Lord has to trick Sue to drop her force field before he can telepathically affect her.

Psi-Lord is an grown-up version of Franklin Richards that mastered his powers and traveled back in time to eliminate Malice. Malice is a psychic entity in Sue's consciousness that took control of Sue and was able to destroy the human-race in Psi-Lord's timeline therefore with such stakes he wouldn't have had an extended fight with a severely weakened Sue before he had to trick her to drop her force field and could immediately easily read her thoughts, subdue her and enter her mind after she dropped the force field.

Another thing to note is that Psi-Lord was no pushover when it comes to telepathy...

From Psi-Lord's handbook write-up
    From Psi-Lord's handbook write-up

A young inexperienced infant Franklin's psychic power threatened all life in the solar system.

Marvel Knights 4 (2004) #12
    Marvel Knights 4 (2004) #12

Sue shields her thoughts from Psycho Man with a micro-thin force field helmet. Psycho Man is a telepath. Here's a respect thread for him if you're unfamiliar with the character.

Marvel Knights 4 (2004) #11

Here Psycho Man causes people across Manhattan's fears to manifest as solid psionic energy constructs as explained in the first scan. After Sue saves some civilians with her force field she feels Psycho-Man's psionic energy in the air and proceeds to use the railway under the city to collect his energy and disperses it.

Other examples of Sue's psionic energy being able to counteract and interact with other energy forms is that she can disrupt force fields and other energy fields.

Galactus The Devourer (1999) #4
    Galactus The Devourer (1999) #4

Here Sue disrupts Galactus' force field.

Fantastic Four (1961) #565
    Fantastic Four (1961) #565

Here Sue disrupts The Marquis of Death's apprentice's force field.

Addressing the "Anti-Feats"

No Caption Provided

In the scan above the Fantastic Four (mainly Thing and Human Torch) have a brief skirmish with Nightcrawler, Storm and Wolverine where Sue proceeds put a force field only to stop Wolverine and Thing from fighting, Emma Frost unknowingly then psychically attacks Sue, Thing and Wolverine.

I'm aware this instance gets brought up when discussing Sue's force fields' effectiveness against telepathy but here's why this isn't really an anti-feat...

Some people argue Sue made a force field dome around her Ben and Reed due to the force field curve we see in the panel where the force field is visible which meant Emma assaulted their minds through the dome but there are two reasons why that argument is faulty.

1. Firstly we never see whether the force field is indeed a full dome or just a curved wall...
    2. Second Sue only put up the force field to separate Ben from Logan which means it won't make sense for her to create an entire dome.

Let's say Sue did indeed make a dome to separate Ben and Logan for some reason and Emma was still able attack her...

Sue's Handbook write-up
    Sue's Handbook write-up

Above is an example of Sue's force field mostly letting light frequencies pass through but can conciously concentrate to catch ambient light in her force field, the same can be said with Emma's telepathy since Emma attacked Sue when she was unaware of Emma's presence so Sue would've had no reason to conciously made the force field between Ben and Logan psi-proof.

Other examples include.

Invisible Woman (2019) #3

In the scans above light and sound passes through Sue's force field when she wasn't aware that her opponents have light and sound-based technology...

But here Sue catches ambient light in her force field and use it as a light source.

Fantastic Four (1998) #4
    Fantastic Four (1998) #4

And here Reed tells Sue to establish a "full-spectrum force field" that can block light, heat, radiation and more.

Fantastic Four (1961) #326 & #327

Here Sue's force field blocks attacks from Klaw because she has fought him before and is aware that his attacks will be sound-based so she conciously made her force fields soundproof to the point where they can even block ultrasonic attacks.

X-Men: First Class (2007) #1
    X-Men: First Class (2007) #1

Here's another example where Sue asks Jean to use her telekinesis through Sue's force field but as demonstrated earlier Sue's force field can block Jean's telekinesis when she wanted it to.

Fantastic Four: Unplugged (1995) #5

To show how precisely Sue can control what passes through her force field here she covers people's heads with force fields that prevents sound from passing through, but allows air through.

To sum it up Sue's force field mostly let's a lot of stuff that she can block through like if she's aware she's fighting a telepath she can conciously make her force field telepathy-proof like she can do with other energy forms she's shown to block like light, sound, telekinesis, ect.

Another thing to note is that Sue has never fought someone with psionic powers that she was aware of and failed to block their powers with her force field to my knowledge at least.

X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #2
    X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #2

In X-Men/F4 (2020) #2 Sue and the rest of the Fantastic Four uses special suits designed to shield them from telepathy. Some people argue this is an anti-feat because if Sue could block telepathy why can't she just block it with her force field, well let me explain...

1. Most people knows Sue wears a costume of unstable molecules that apparently turns invisible when she does but...

Fantastic Four (1961) #1

Sue literally turned invisible along with her space suit and regular clothes in Fantastic Four #1 when she couldn't even make other stuff invisible plus she can make other stuff invisible but still wears her costume because Johnny needs his costume to be fireproof and Reed needs his costume to stretch along with his body but that doesn't mean she can't just make her costume invisible whether it was made of unstable molecules or not. Sue and Ben clearly doesn't need to wear the costumes but do just for the synergy or to show they're a unit/team, heck even Franklin and Valeria are currently wearing the matching uniforms and they don't even have powers atm and so did the Future Foundation which was a bunch of children with most of them just being really smart. What I mean is it wouldn't of fit with the F4's style of 60 years for Sue not to wear the same anti-TP suit when her teammates wore it.

Avengers (1963) #301
    Avengers (1963) #301

Here's an instance where Sue and Reed wears transparent spacesuits of unstable molecules over their uniforms that are also made of unstable molecules just so Captain America didn't wear it alone and we all know temperature extremes mean nothing to Sue's force fields. Literal 🤡 behavior.

Fantastic Four (2018) #6

Or here where Sue needs Reed to catch her from falling and she just lets Ben fall and to top it off Sue walks on a force field platform and levitates goats when she lands. 🤡🤡🤡

Fantastic Four (2018) #36
    Fantastic Four (2018) #36

Or here where in the year of 2021 Writers have Sue use a fire extinguisher to put out flames when even the uninspiring F4 (2005) movie had Sue put out flames with her force field, but Sue needed to use that extinguisher because Franklin and Valeria did. 🤡🤡🤡

As can be seen Sue is constantly using stuff she really doesn't need to just because people around her does and writers are ignoring very obvious stuff for unknown reasons. I'm sure this happens in X-books from time to time so you can understand.

2. It would've been a real strain for Sue to make force field helmets for herself and her teammates as well as make them invisible for an extended period of time and she probably used the anti-TP suit so she just has to cloak everyone because even though Sue's pretty damn powerful her body remains peak human and she knows she can't multitask for extended periods of time without it being a strain. For example telepaths often sync their powers to perform tasks they should be able to do individually but they do it because it's much easier together.

Think of it this way if you could create force fields through concentration that can block TP but you also have to cloak four people for who knows how long why wouldn't you wear an anti-TP suit that's just laying around at home and focus on keeping everyone cloaked.

Another thing is post 2018 Sue's invisibility seems to be able to do new and more advanced stuff if she concentrates hard enough like she can hide stuff from radars and she can conceal herself and others from being detected through all frequencies of radiation which are both stuff she couldn't do in the past so it could be possible that she needed her full concentration to hide herself and her teammates given I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have tried to infiltrate Krakoa without being completely hidden from all detection especially given it's an island full of hundreds of superhumans with powers they don't even know of.

3. In this particular comic series in the same issue the plot required for Cyclops to subdue an unaware Sue with a wide optic blast only so there can be stakes for the Fantastic Four in their encounter with the mutants on Krakoa and that wasn't going to happen with Sue in a force field.

4. Not all writers will know about Sue's psionic energy that can counteract and interact with other energy forms especially writers that haven't done Fantastic Four runs and aren't required to have full knowledge on all characters such as the writer of X/F4 (2020) I mean I only know a handful of people who generally know Sue can disrupt force fields it's not exactly common knowledge.

In conclusion Sue has shown to actively block telepathy with her force fields more than once as well as other psionic and non psionic energy forms when she's aware of them, And there are no instances of Sue consciously trying to block a psionic with her force field and fails.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan

@pyrofn:

I don’t think that’s remotely true. I think that’s about the minimum, since she has shielded from bombs point-blank in the past:

Explosions have speeds around the mach 20's at best

Whereas Sue's best qauntifiable speed feats are reacting to electric currents which I generally see as outliers since that would mean she has light-speed reactions other than that she's reacted to meteors and deflected them while standing on a Nova-core ship that was moving through space and meteors move at an average speed of around Mach 58 through space.

She has at her best blocked lasers from the Stranger at point-blank range

This is not a qauntifiable speed feat since we don't know how fast Stranger's lasers are.

She has even reacted to Monica Rambeau in energy form as Monica is proceeding to tear open her cocoon

Jean didn't conciously reacted to or intercepted Monica since she was unconscious in the cacoon and probably just shielded the cacoon.

Heck, Jean has even fought Sue in the past. Even if you want to argue Sue somehow forgot her knowledge when she was brainwashed here, her reaction timings and the way her powers work do not.

A mind-controlled Sue won't have the same mindset as regular Sue since that hound Sue couldn't even talk, as for her powers she's grown since then tremendously as well as got a amp in the 90's.

Jean’s reaction timing gap between hers and Sue’s is not that wide. Even if you wanna argue Sue’s power is greater, it is not because Sue is faster.

Jean can at best time an explosion of mach around mach 23 whereas Sue can react to and hit up to three meteors moving at mach 58 at the same time.

As far as the telepathy goes, Sue can block mental probing, but I argue she hasn’t blocked anyone on Jean’s level telepathic-wise.

While I don't believe Psi-Lord or Psycho Man are as competent and we'll rounded as Jean, we haven't seen the limit of what Sue's force fields can block when it comes to telepathy since I don't know exactly how powerful Psi-Lord was since he never went up against other telepaths and Psycho Man has affected Cable and Silver Surfer twice with no loses to other telepaths and Sue's force field has...

• Cancelled Galactus' force field in the 90's
    • The Marquis of Death's appreciate's force field in the late 2000's
    • The Ultimate Nullifier's reality erasing zone didn't have any affect on her force field in the 90's
    • Her force field was unaffected by a weapon that was said to be able to harm Galactus in the 90's
    • Her force field was unaffected by a reality erasing wave in the 90's
    • Her force field briefly withstood an incursion in 2015

Disclaimer, I'm not saying Sue's force field blocked the above stuff due to the durability of her force field it's more that the energy her force fields are constructed by neutralizes/counteracts the above mentioned stuff's effects.

The above mentioned stuff should suggest Sue's energy counteraction/disruption can counteract and disrupt serious stuff.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PyroFN

@scarlet_wiccan: 1) “Explosions have speeds around the mach 20's at best…..

Jean can at best time an explosion of mach around mach 23 whereas Sue can react to and hit up to three meteors moving at mach 58 at the same time

I said “at minimum”. And Jean would literally have to be faster than the explosion to block it and cover an entire group of people in a tk shield.

There is no way Jean could shield her entire team in the blast zone if she was only as fast as the explosion itself.

2) “This is not a qauntifiable speed feat since we don't know how fast Stranger's lasers are.”

Then I will low-ball it to just as fast a regular lasers.

3) “Jean didn't conciously reacted to or intercepted Monica since she was unconscious in the cacoon and probably just shielded the cacoon.”

Her mind still was reacting to Monica. Unless you want to prove that the subconscious is faster than the conscious mind, I see no qualms using this. As it stands though, you will find it hard to prove it with real world science, since comics write the mind as way faster than what it normally is in real life.

Needless to say, Jean reacted to Monica’s attack before it could hit her and before Monica could react. That’s a feat.

4) “A mind-controlled Sue won't have the same mindset as regular Sue since that hound Sue couldn't even talk

First off, I covered the mind-control part. Even if you want to argue against her knowledge disappearing (which there is no evidence of), nothing about Sue’s reaction timing and physicals change. She is literally just a mind-controlled Sue.

Secondly, your claim about Sue being incapable of speaking is false.

No Caption Provided

as for her powers she's grown since then tremendously as well as got a amp in the 90's

This isn’t an argument about power. This is an argument about speed. I don’t mind if you can prove Sue has gotten faster since that time, but you need to prove that she worked on her reaction alongside her raw power.

5) “Another thing to note is that Psi-Lord was no pushover when it comes to telepathy...

Regarding Psi-Lord, you can’t scale him off of young Franklin. He is not of the 616 native. He comes from the Days of Future Past timeline, i.e. Rachel Summers timeline. The events of Days of Future Past have different events from the 616, like Phoenix living past the Dark Phoenix Saga.

His feats thus remain separate from Franklins. You want to prove his superiority over Jean, you go off of his feats.

6) “In conclusion Sue has shown to actively block telepathy with her force fields more than once as well as other psionic and non psionic energy forms when she's aware of them, And there are no instances of Sue consciously trying to block a psionic with her force field and fails.

I don’t have issue with the idea that Susan can block telepathy.

I have issue with the idea that she blocks Jean’s telepathy without evidence. Just because she can block telepathy does not mean she can block all forms of telepathy. That is a no-limit fallacy.

I will put aside the Emma instance, since there is mostly assumption coming from both sides. And I will choose to ignore the recent F4/X-Men crossover for simplicity sake (though I still find the idea ridiculous that Sue isn’t powerful enough to multi-task her powers for long strings of time when she has faced worse than maintaining a shield and invisibility for a couple hours at worse).

Right now, I just want evidence Sue can block telepathy as powerful as Jean’s.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

I said “at minimum”. And Jean would literally have to be faster than the explosion to block it and cover an entire group of people in a tk shield.

There is no way Jean could shield her entire team in the blast zone if she was only as fast as the explosion itself.

So Jean can time an explosion it's still not enough to suggest she can react at speeds above mach 30.

Then I will low-ball it to just as fast a regular lasers.

Real world Lasers can move up to 3000 times the speed of light which would be an outlier for Sue and Jean and Sue has reacted to lasers after they were fired on multiple occasions.

Her mind still was reacting to Monica. Unless you want to prove that the subconscious is faster than the conscious mind, I see no qualms using this. As it stands though, you will find it hard to prove it with real world science, since comics write the mind as way faster than what it normally is in real life.

Needless to say, Jean reacted to Monica’s attack before it could hit her and before Monica could react. That’s a feat.

In order for someone to react to something they need to react to it and how was Jean reading Monica if she didn't have TP at the time?

First off, I covered the mind-control part. Even if you want to argue against her knowledge disappearing (which there is no evidence of), nothing about Sue’s reaction timing and physicals change. She is literally just a mind-controlled Sue.

Since you react with your mind it definitely changes things when it's controlled by someone else.

Secondly, your claim about Sue being incapable of speaking is false.

I meant in their fight Sue didn't even speak.

This isn’t an argument about power. This is an argument about speed. I don’t mind if you can prove Sue has gotten faster since that time, but you need to prove that she worked on her reaction alongside her raw power.

Sue started physically training and started sparring with Iron Fist in the 90's as for raw power Sue fought Blastaar in the 90's and in the early 2000's he stated he didn't remember her being as powerful the last time they fought plus Sue's powers were amped in the mid 90's by Franklin.

Regarding Psi-Lord, you can’t scale him off of young Franklin. He is not of the 616 native. He comes from the Days of Future Past timeline, i.e. Rachel Summers timeline. The events of Days of Future Past have different events from the 616, like Phoenix living past the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Rachel's Franklin got killed by a sentinel, Psi-Lord is 616 Franklin that went to an alternate universe where he trained and returned...

No Caption Provided

It's explained here.

I can't find a respect thread online for Franklin and can't make one for himself since I don't know how to fully categorize his powers especially the TP and Reality Manipulation so I don't know exactly how powerful his TP is compared to someone like Jean.

I don’t have issue with the idea that Susan can block telepathy.

No Caption Provided

You only say this now!? I'm so tired of literally spending hours on my first post to just prove that she can block TP. Lol

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@scarlet_wiccan:

I have issue with the idea that she blocks Jean’s telepathy without evidence. Just because she can block telepathy does not mean she can block all forms of telepathy. That is a no-limit fallacy.

This is what Pyro said, and him and I are on the same page. I don't doubt that Sue can block some forms of telepathy, i.e. mind reading, but there is a lack of evidence for her being able to block a psychic attack on the level of telepathy that Jean is capable of.

I am stepping back out now :)

@pyrofn

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

@scarlet_wiccan:

This is what Pyro said, and him and I are on the same page. I don't doubt that Sue can block some forms of telepathy, i.e. mind reading, but there is a lack of evidence for her being able to block a psychic attack on the level of telepathy that Jean is capable of.

I am stepping back out now :)

@pyrofn

I understand that but no one knows the level of telepathy Sue can block since we don't know exactly how powerful Franklin and Psycho Man's TP are on a tier list with other telepaths to get a general idea what levels of telepathy Sue can block.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: 1) “So Jean can time an explosion it's still not enough to suggest she can react at speeds above mach 30.”

That’s what the other feats are for. This one is more debunking that her baseline is 20 when she is easily above that, even if it isn’t expressly 30.

2) “Real world Lasers can move up to 3000 times the speed of light which would be an outlier for Sue and Jean and Sue has reacted to lasers after they were fired on multiple occasions.”

If you want to say as much.

3) “In order for someone to react to something they need to react to it and how was Jean reading Monica if she didn't have TP at the time?

…..I can’t say you’re wrong in the bolder part, but this basically the “the floor is made of floor meme”. What exactly are you trying to say?

Do you mean ”Jean needs to be conscious to react”?

As for the second part, Jean lost her telepathy after Reed freed her. She can’t speak underwater. Even if there is air in her cocoon, the sound would be too muffled to reach anybody and the writer clearly shows the Avengers can hear Jean loud and clear.

No Caption Provided

Not to mention the word bubbles insinuate telepathy.

No Caption Provided

4) “Since you react with your mind it definitely changes things when it's controlled by someone else.

No, it doesn’t. If Ahab turned off Sue’s mind, it would change things. Him controlling her mind didn’t take away her capacity to react, much less fight. He manipulated her world-view to serve him, not her consciousness. She even fully acknowledges her son to Ahab, showing she is very much still Sue.

5) “I meant in their fight Sue didn't even speak.”

Now, you are stretching. There is no evidence Sue lost her capacity to speak. That’s the equivalent of claiming a quiet classroom doing a test lost their ability to speak because they had not said a word throughout the test.

6) “Sue started physically training and started sparring with Iron Fist in the 90's

I did not argue against Sue’s raw power, so I am skipping that bit.

As for this, that does well for her hand-to-hand, but I doubt that contributes. The mind reacts a lot faster than the physical body, at least according to comics. There is no real way to correlate physical reaction improvement with mental.

7) “Psi-Lord is 616 Franklin that went to an alternate universe where he trained and returned...

Ah, okay.

I’m positive that Franklin no longer exists still after 616 Franklin came back to the mainstream reality. Any feats after Franklin comes back are fully his own and not Psi-Lords. Anything prior can go to Psi-Lord, since Franklin would technically still be in the alt dimension, where his experiences go a certain way.

8) “You only say this now!?

I mean, I remember Prof Respect chiming in to note Psycho Man was a telepath to at least denote that Sue has blocked telepathy twice on occasion.

I probably forgot the last conversation to say that.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan

@pyrofn:

I can’t say you’re wrong in the bolder part, but this basically the “the floor is made of floor meme”. What exactly are you trying to say?

Do you mean ”Jean needs to be conscious to react”?

As for the second part, Jean lost her telepathy after Reed freed her. She can’t speak underwater. Even if there is air in her cocoon, the sound would be too muffled to reach anybody and the writer clearly shows the Avengers can hear Jean loud and clear

Yep I meant to say in order for someone to react to something they need to be conscious.

Oh I didn't know that's how her TP got broken but still she must've shielded the cacoon before Monica tried to pass through it and if not I don't think Jean can consistently react at light speed just like Sue can't even though she has a few feats on that level.

No, it doesn’t. If Ahab turned off Sue’s mind, it would change things. Him controlling her mind didn’t take away her capacity to react, much less fight. He manipulated her world-view to serve him, not her consciousness. She even fully acknowledges her son to Ahab, showing she is very much still Sue.

I thought you meant basic mind control where Ahab literally controls their minds.

Now, you are stretching. There is no evidence Sue lost her capacity to speak. That’s the equivalent of claiming a quiet classroom doing a test lost their ability to speak because they had not said a word throughout the test.

No I'm not arguing she lost her speech, before you showed the scan of her talking I assumed she couldn't talk since when she was under mental control from Malice she still had her normal mindset and knowledge based on what she was saying but in the hound fight her and Cyclops didn't speak at all.

As for this, that does well for her hand-to-hand, but I doubt that contributes. The mind reacts a lot faster than the physical body, at least according to comics. There is no real way to correlate physical reaction improvement with mental.

"Fast reflexes are required of good martial artists. Whether it's sparring or fighting in a competition, blocking and dodging the attacks of your opponent is important to every martial artist. Through repetition, your reflex will improve and you'll notice faster reaction times in all parts of your life." Sue also states in the 90's post Onslaught Reed subjected the FF to countless combat simulations.

I’m positive that Franklin no longer exists still after 616 Franklin came back to the mainstream reality. Any feats after Franklin comes back are fully his own and not Psi-Lords. Anything prior can go to Psi-Lord, since Franklin would technically still be in the alt dimension, where his experiences go a certain way.

Yep. Psi-Lord went back shortly before Onslaught happened.

How powerful would you say Psycho Man is looking at his feats in his respect thread? since I don't really know how to calculate telepathy outside ABC logic.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: Okay. My phone glitched out a number of times, so I am gonna be brief with this answer with the little patience I have left. This is completely not your fault at all, so please don’t take the briskness as me starting to lose my patience with you. And I completely apologize for the couple days off I took to cool down.

1) “Oh I didn't know that's how her TP got broken but still she must've shielded the cacoon before Monica tried to pass through it and if not I don't think Jean can consistently react at light speed just like Sue can't even though she has a few feats on that level

I mean, she did more than shield. She literally reverted Monica back to human form and warned to stay away multiple times as a result of Monica’s attempted actions. It’s pretty safe to assume these were reactions on an instinctual level signifying Jean is starting to wake from her coma (Even if she is not fully aware of everything going on).

2) “I thought you meant basic mind control where Ahab literally controls their minds.”

I don’t have the full explanation as to how Ahab’s powers work. From what I gather, he intrinsically brainwashed them, which usually entails that the person’s world-views and their psychological stated are manipulated.

Given @koays is the Rachel expert, he is probably more familiar to Ahab than I am, considering he is intrinsic to Rachel’s history.

This is the one time I will call someone, not to correct you per se, but to make sure I am not spreading false info. So please don’t take this as me calling back up.

3) “No I'm not arguing she lost her speech, before you showed the scan of her talking I assumed she couldn't talk since when she was under mental control from Malice she still had her normal mindset and knowledge based on what she was saying but in the hound fight her and Cyclops didn't speak at all.

….I am not certain what you are getting at here. I am assuming (based on the underlined parts) you are saying you didn’t know was capable of speech and corrected your thinking accordingly.

If not, you are free to clarify what you mean.

4) “Fast reflexes are required of good martial artists. Whether it's sparring or fighting in a competition, blocking and dodging the attacks of your opponent is important to every martial artist. Through repetition, your reflex will improve and you'll notice faster reaction times in all parts of your life.”

I guess by this logic, Jean’s reaction timing would thus have also improved based on her absorbing Colleen Wings and Misty Knights combat knowledge, as well as training with Psylocke in her solo regarding using psionic weaponry, to the point of solo’ing Hand Ninja’s.

Okay. I guess I can accept that explanation for Sue.

5) “How powerful would you say Psycho Man is looking at his feats in his respect thread?

Without his machine, very basic as a psi. His machine is empathic based kind of hypnosis, so even that much is a little questionable, but I won’t take that from Sue as a psi feat showing she is capable of blocking telepathy. Just a very lackluster villain.

Psi-Lord is probably a better showing against most psi’s, though I’m uncertain his limited appearances will measure to Jean.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should probably get someone to do a respect thread for him…..

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

1. Np

2. Fair enough

3. I assumed that if Sue couldn't talk she was literally controlled by Ahab.

4. Since Jean didn't physically train her body and only absorbed their knowledge I would assume her reflexes don't increase but the Psylocke instance should've increased her reflexes.

5. But Sue also contained Psycho Man's energy spread across Manhattan that caused people's fears to manifest as physical constructs. But I get what you mean by him not doing anything noteworthy with his TP.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
    @pyrofn said:

I'm currently collecting his TP feats since it's super complicated to make a respect thread for Reality Warpers I probably won't make a full RT on him atm.

Some of his feats so far include...

1. Threatening to release a psychic explosion that can kill all living organisms in the solar system while he was an infant.

2. Resists a psychic attack from Ultron and overloads his consciousness with a blast while he was an inexperienced child.

3. Waking Agatha Harkness along with the town of New Salem's inhabitants up from a trance from Nicholas Scratch (Agatha's son) while he was an inexperienced child.

4. Removes Nicholas Scratch's mind control from the Fantastic Four.

4. He put Psi-blocks in his mind that blocked his own powers.

5. He battled Agatha Harkness on all planes of Reality twice, the first time she won due to wisdom and experience but the second time he won as an inexperienced child.

6. He beat a Mephisto that amped himself a thousandfold in his dimension as an inexperienced child.

7. While his powers were almost fully latent he astral projected across multiple galaxies as an inexperienced child.

So he's pretty damn impressive since he's an inexperienced child with no training and knowledge in all the feats above with no idea what he's doing and he has almost no anti-feats and Psi-Lord is a teenage version with better control of his powers and Sue blocked him while she was severely weakened back in the 90's and she's grown a lot since then.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Dan Slott is the current writer for the Fantastic Four series, Vol 8 (2018-Present).

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

I'm currently collecting his TP feats since it's super complicated to make a respect thread for Reality Warpers I probably won't make a full RT on him atm.

1. Threatening to release a psychic explosion that can kill all living organisms in the solar system while he was an infant.

2. Resists a psychic attack from Ultron and overloads his consciousness with a blast while he was an inexperienced child.

3. Waking Agatha Harkness along with the town of New Salem's inhabitants up from a trance from Nicholas Scratch (Agatha's son) while he was an inexperienced child.

5. He battled Agatha Harkness on all planes of Reality twice, the first time she won due to wisdom and experience but the second time he won as an inexperienced child.

6. He beat a Mephisto that amped himself a thousandfold in his dimension as an inexperienced child.

7. While his powers were almost fully latent he astral projected across multiple galaxies as an inexperienced child.

So he's pretty damn impressive since he's an inexperienced child with no training and knowledge in all the feats above with no idea what he's doing and he has almost no anti-feats and Psi-Lord is a teenage version with better control of his powers and Sue blocked him while she was severely weakened back in the 90's and she's grown a lot since then.

You know what? Don’t worry about it. I think I will get his RT handled or get someone else to do it.

I have handled Legion, Onslaughts, Phoenix’, and Nate Grey’s RT in the past with help before, known reality warpers. So, it won’t be much of a problem for me to figure it out.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
    @scarlet_wiccan said:
    @pyrofn said:

You know what? Don’t worry about it. I think I will get his RT handled or get someone else to do it.

I have handled Legion, Onslaughts, Phoenix’, and Nate Grey’s RT in the past with help before, known reality warpers. So, it won’t be much of a problem for me to figure it out.

👍

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sue's Handbook write-up
    Sue's Handbook write-up

Here her handbook states her standard force fields can't block light but with concentration she can, It's the same with oxygen, sound, telekinesis, telepathy, ect.

Fantastic Four (1998) #4
    Fantastic Four (1998) #4

Here Reed says Sue must specifically create a force field that blocks light, heat, radiation, ect. meaning her standard force field will not block these things.

Here Sue creates force fields that blocks sound but let's air through

No Caption Provided

As seen here Emma attacked Sue while she was focused on Thing and Wolverine so Sue wasn't expecting a psi-blast.

Psi-Lord only says he can easily read Sue's thought's after Sue drops her force field and proceeds to enter her mind.

As for Psycho Man, he is a telepath that amps his powers with technology via a control box

@del_torro:

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Dan Slotts X-men vs Fanatsic four proved this

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Dan Slotts X-men vs Fanatsic four proved this

Sue already blocked Psi-Lord and Psycho Man's TP

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: fair enough, but those feats can be chalked up as outliers. The most recent representation of a comic book characters capabilities tends to be the one we use in general power discussions

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: fair enough, but those feats can be chalked up as outliers. The most recent representation of a comic book characters capabilities tends to be the one we use in general power discussions

But she didn't fail to block TP she just wore a anti-TP suit for comfort since using her powers for extended periods of time can tire her and she obviously can't block all levels of TP and Krakoa is full of powerful telepaths.

In her 2019 solo book she couldn't block sound something she's done consistently since the 60's till Secret Wars (2015) Does that mean she can no longer block it?

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: okay. Fair point. I concede she probably/should be able to block TP

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.