undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

I’m going to have to into spoiler territory here, because there’s no way to talk about what’s good about this book without digging DEEP into what goes on. I will block where appropriate. Rex/Robot and Invincible venture into the dimension where one of Invincible’s most insidious, diabolical alternates had essentially conquered Earth and wanted Angstrom Levy to help him expand his empire. When he dragged Levy back to his own dimension, Invincible wanted to follow not to rescue the mad scientist, who’d begun to show signs of reforming, but to ensure he couldn’t attack Mark or his family anymore. What he finds is...well, the cover isn’t misleading and I’ll leave it at that. It’s what happens after that will have you break your jaw with the impact when it hits the floor. Robert Kirkman has shown himself to be an absolute master of foreshadowing and sowing seeds of character development that don’t pay off until much later, and that happens here, but not to who you might expect. Robot not only immobilizes both Invincibles, but straight-up KILLS the more malevolent one before executing Levy and leaving Mark stranded. He reveals that, not only did his time in the Flaxan Universe give him an entirely new perspective, but that he believed Mark would eventually turn dictator and he was both being preventative AND ensuring his own plans move forward. It’s a bold move, but never once feels like a twist for a twist’s sake, the motivations feel not only well planned out, but like they’ve been percolating for issue after issue at this point. It’s one of those things that is shocking at first, but then you realize there was no other way for this to go.

Ryan Ottley's linework and John Rauch's colors were absolutely on FIRE this issue. The violence is suddenly and absolutely brutal, reminding us yet again that though the color palette is bright and cheery , this is far from a kid’s book and these are incredibly powerful beings that that are capable of unleashing absolutely RIDICULOUS violence at a moment’s notice. Every panel flows evenly from one to the next and the facial expressions are things of absolute beauty, conveying even more than the dialog suggests, simultaneously being over-the-top and filled with subtlety. I honestly have no idea how they do it, but I’m glad they do every single time.

The Bad

There’s an entire month between this and the next issue. That is bad. It is very, very bad.

The Verdict

This is what I like to refer to as a “payoff issue.” Kirkman’s been leading up a lot, he’s had a lot pokers in various fires and clearly several have turned red hot. This issue has some absolutely shocking moments that simultaneously wrap up and set up future storylines gloriously. I have some rough idea of what will happen next, or at least have deluded myself into thinking I do but that’s also what I thought when this issue started, so clearly I actually have NO IDEA. And that is absolutely thrilling.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2 inferiorego  Staff

...I only read this in trade....

::waits patiently::

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Does anyone else find it really hypocritical that Kirkman will call out Marvel or DC for using too much violence yet his books are full of gore?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@br_havoc said:

Does anyone else find it really hypocritical that Kirkman will call out Marvel or DC for using too much violence yet his books are full of gore?

Does he? I'v never seen him do that.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I always remembered a when one of Marvel's big events was going on ( Can't for the life of me remember...Might of been Siege or Fear itself) and he talked about how Marvel and DC is touching topics that did not to be touched (Rape was a big one he talked about) and were gorey for no reason. I remember that because at the time I agreed with him, but reading Invincible and Walking Dead its a hypocritical stance.

But as they say separate art from the person.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I started reading the Ultimate Editions of this title (from issue one) so it's gonna be a while before I'm caught up to current issues..hopefully it stays great til then.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

@BR_Havoc, I was at Image Expo this year and he criticized the market demographic to which Marvel aims their books. He said a few other things about the big two and how he thinks in the long run the way they do business will end up harming the comic industry. He did not make any comments at this event about violence in comics, although that certainly does not mean he has never made any in the past.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BR_Havoc

@themantisshrimp: Like I mentioned in my first post this was about an event a about a year or two ago so that was when this interview took place.

Actually, I understood what he was talking about this year at Image Expo. For the most part I see his point only thing I did not agree with him with was telling people to torrent the comics he wrote for Marvel.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow. What an issue. Perfectly summed up in the last panel of the issue.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the last page of the issue perfectly summarized my feelings on the issue

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

@br_havoc said:

maybe he means that because Marvel and DC's books reach a much larger age range of people that they're too violent but his books are at Image so they're automatically not reaching as many people and they're also marked for higher ages

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

sho3s22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sho3s22

woah, just woah. This issue blew me away.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Saren
    InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really need to start reading this series. I'll probably jump on at #111

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

NO! READ EVERY ISSUE.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Absolutely wonderful issue.

I still maintain TWD can't hold a candle to Invincible. Kirkman is waaay better with this series imo.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InFamous_Wolf

@infamous_wolf said:

NO! READ EVERY ISSUE.

Would getting the Invincible Ultimate Compendium be worth it?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cap10nate

Issue 105 is a great jumping on point if you want to jump on now. A lot has actually happened since then so I would start then and not wait until 111.

If you ever have the extra cash and want to read a great series, I would highly recommend this series. I took advantage of Comixology sale a couple months back and got the first omnibus. I instantly bought the second omnibus and all the TPB's that were on sale. After I tore through those, I couldn't wait for the next tpb, so I started buying the remaining monthly issues. Fantastic series that I am excited to re-read.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@thefirstlantern said:

@infamous_wolf said:

NO! READ EVERY ISSUE.

Would getting the Invincible Ultimate Compendium be worth it?

Yes. That would IIRC bring you up to issue 56, if its the Compendium. Theres two and the second takes you to 96 I think.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf said:

Issue 105 is a great jumping on point if you want to jump on now. A lot has actually happened since then so I would start then and not wait until 111.

If you ever have the extra cash and want to read a great series, I would highly recommend this series. I took advantage of Comixology sale a couple months back and got the first omnibus. I instantly bought the second omnibus and all the TPB's that were on sale. After I tore through those, I couldn't wait for the next tpb, so I started buying the remaining monthly issues. Fantastic series that I am excited to re-read.

Yeah, I'll probably do what I did when I started reading Spawn, which is start on the best jumping point I can find(probably issue105) catch up then go back and read the older TPB's.

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22  Edited By TobenRacicot

this is an awesome issue!!!

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BR_Havoc, for sure. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think he said that this year since there were a few articles paraphrasing his panel.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmashBrawler

@saren: But, but, I was making a clever reference to the ending... D:

It was clever, right? Guys?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Honestly, I think that would be a weak argument if you do not like how something is done then write something as good without it, This is one of those times were sometimes a writer can stick their foot in their mouths IMO.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By danhimself

@br_havoc said:

@danhimself: Honestly, I think that would be a weak argument if you do not like how something is done then write something as good without it, This is one of those times were sometimes a writer can stick their foot in their mouths IMO.

I don't think so...if he is saying that since Marvel and DC books are supposed to be for readers young and old that it they shouldn't have things like Sentry ripping Ares in half or Dr. Light raping Sue Dibny then that doesn't mean that his books that he does for Image have to be for younger readers as well and his books at Image are rated M so that shouldn't be a problem...he's done work for Marvel in the past and other than his Marvel Zombies books they have been free of anything like gore or sex

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

invincible is one of the best comics ever. sadly i moved and my new lcs doesnt sell image comics :(.

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28  Edited By TobenRacicot

invincible is one of the best comics ever. sadly i moved and my new lcs doesnt sell image comics :(.

what a lame LCS

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Onemoreposter

...I only read this in trade....

::waits patiently::

You and me both buddy...you and me both...

thesleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, this really was the WHAM issue.

I agree with the bad one whole month of waiting is just painful

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

At last, another great twist that perks up the series again. Great issue.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the compendiums and I'm only on like issue 38, I just found out who Robot actually was but I have skipped ahead also and started reading the current ones at 105 and this is the best one I've read so far. The three words that Mark says on the last page sum the whole issue up perfectly. This and Chew are my 2 absolute favorite series. Marvel and DC have nothing on the quality of work Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley put out.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

This issue blew me away. I've been reading Invincible since the very first issue and I honestly can't recall reading a bad issue ever since.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By webling

The press release for 111 made me spend some time thinking about who the traitor could be and I decided that it would be Robot. So seeing that in this issue wasn't only surprising in that it happened in this issue, not 111. But if the betrayal actually happens this issue, is there another one coming in 111 or was that a press release that was intentionally misleading to preserve the story's surprise? Regardless, this book continues to be my favorite month after month.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm catching up through the compendiums but I swear I heard or read about Robot betraying invincible before this issue came out

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Didn't see that one coming.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.