This book NEEDS to be more popular

• 57 results
#1 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible is probably the best superhero comic book in the universe. So, why isn't it more popular? Many people have it on their 'to read' list, but why is it not already ON their 'read' list? It has an great writer and an excellent artist, who have both been working on the book for many years now. 

I am one of those people who only recently got into reading Invincible. But now that I have read it, I can't imagine why I never did so before. One reason could be the lack of attention this book gets on this website right here. I have yet to see G-Man or Babs review an Invincible comic and, other than inferiorego's article a while back, nothing Invincible-related (save for the Guardians of the Globe teasers) has graced the front page of the Vine. 

So if you're on this forum and you're reading this post, odds are that you're a fan of this character and this comic book. Surely, if you do love this book, you want it to be as popular as possible? You want Invincible's name to be up there with Spider-man and Superman, as the flagship title of Image comics. When people think of the 'Indie' comic companies (basically anyone that isn't Marvel/DC) they don't think of superheroes. But this book right here proves that good, contemporary superhero stories exists outside of the big two. 

My task to you, loyal fans of Invincible, is to spread the word about this comic book. Everyone on the Vine should know about Mark Grayson as a great superhero in his own right. If you're up to date with the comic, review each new issue. If someone is asking about what comics they should read, recommend this one. If you're having a casual conversation with someone here, bring up Invincible. 

A book like this doesn't deserve to fly under the radar just because it's published by Image. Give Invincible the respect it deserves.
#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8823 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: I've read every invincible issue published where I live so far. He is awesome.
#3 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I consider it the best comic out there right now.  =)
#4 Posted by longbowhunter (7049 posts) - - Show Bio

I just started reading Invincible late last year. I quickly got caught up on the hardbacks. This title is what I've been missing with Spider-Man. Great balance of personal/hero life and a dash of teen drama. Invincible really is a superhero book thats a cut above the rest. Not to mention I've got a mad crush on Eve!
#5 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

See, come on guys! Within five minutes I already have three replies from Invincible fans, but if I go anywhere else on the Vine I'd just get shrugs and 'yeah, he seems kinda cool, I guess' 

We need to spread the word about this book! I plan on reviewing each individual issue of Invincible as I read them and I recommend you all do the same, if you haven't already. Who knows, maybe eventually one of our reviews will make it to the front page?

#6 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

I own the first two gigantic volumes! I love Invincible so much, and really have to start reading the series again. It's so amazing. I love Mark so much!  

This is what Spider-Man used to be. A good series with a fun main character.  

Note to self: The two ongoings I must now read, Booster Gold and Invincible. ^_^

#7 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

He changes his avatar from Red Robin to Invincible and suddenly he is a fanboy :)
#8 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio

I found copies of volume one,three,four and five at my school library. I can't find them anywhere else in town though so I haven't been keeping up

#9 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@LightBright: So far I have the first Ultimate Collection trade and I intend on ordering the next one the exact moment that my next paycheck arrives, LOL 

I've limited myself to one Ultimate Collection volume a month, partly to save money and partly so I don't rush through the entire series in one go. This way I'll savour every issue of it. 

Anyway, totally agree with everything you guys are saying. But my point is that I'm disappointed in the lack of attention Invincible gets! A character is only as popular as his fans make him!
#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: I love Invincible!
#11 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna: HECK YES I AM! xD 

I've spent the last month reading and re-reading the first 13 issues while also scouring the web for cool Invincible pictures. How can I NOT be a fanboy? :P 

Besides, Invincible has most of the same qualities that I love about Spider-man and Tim Drake, so its hard not to love him.
#12 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: I need to get the third Ultimate Collection. I have nothing really good to read. v.v 

I'll have to just start buying the monthlies and then just somehow catch up. lol
#13 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-:
Speaking of Spider-man they had a crossover issue. It was alright. Nothing great, but just lettin you know incase you want to get it.
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Vs Conquest damn!!

#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read it. Where should I start? Is the issue in the pic recent?

#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: ... From the begginig? Its basically Spiderman and Superboy mixed up...well at least that's how I see it.
#17 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna: I saw most of the scans of that issue, yeah... xD 

Seems like fun, but not worth tracking down since it's just an individual issue. 

@LightBright: I know just how you feel. I actually dropped Batman AND Batman & Robin after reading this because I was sick of Morrison and Daniel's stupid writing. I love the way Grant writes Damian but everything else just annoys me. Dick is never going to be a convincing Batman if he calls Alfred 'Alfie' all the time! UGH! 

Yeah, basically outside of Invincible, Red Robin and Pet Avengers, I'm not into any ongoing books right now. Spider-man is occasionally awesome, but I don't think I'd ever drop the title because I've been collecting it the longest.
#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @InnerVenom123: ... From the begginig? Its basically Spiderman and Superboy mixed up...well at least that's how I see it. "
I'm not exactly well off financially, so a 'jump on' issue would be better for me at the moment :p
#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Issue 50
#20 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: If you want to get caught up quickly so that you can start picking up the individual issues, I recommend searching for the "Invincible Returns" one-shot that came out quite recently. 

However, if you have a little more money at your disposal (money well spent, imo) then order the Ultimate Collection Volume 1 off the internet. I recommend Forbidden Planet, they've got a pretty good deal and that's where I got mine. Reading the entire series is probably a good idea. The art is a little iffy to start with but once Ryan Ottley joins the crew it gets AWESOME.
#21 Edited by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: I was fine with the smaller images, but seriously, I haven't gotten that far in the series yet. I'm fine with looking up cool pictures but I don't WANT to read the story before I get to it.
#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: oops, did I spoil it?
#24 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: I knew they got together, obviously. But just because I know how it all ends up doesn't mean I want to know how EXACTLY Mark and Eve get to that place. I'd rather experience that the proper way by reading the issues. 

So I'd appreciate it if you edited your post and either removed the images or shrunk them down.
#25 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: Very well
#26 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Thank you. 

It's like, you know Lord of the Rings ends with them throwing a ring into the damn volcano. But you don't want to see HOW that happens until you get there, ya know?
#27 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: lol! How  far are you?
#28 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: 13 issues in, should be ordering the next volume of the Ultimate Collection like, next week.
#29 Edited by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: I got ...like issue 50 and 71, TPB 10,11,12 and 13 , and Ultimate Collection #3
#30 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Hmm... Which issue is the one where Omni-Man fights Invincible? 11, right? That was a great issue.
#31 Edited by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: People aren't going to buy it if you keep posting entire comics! O__O 

Seriously dude, I'm not sure you're really supposed to do that...
#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: That's not the comic...that's they're fight...its pretty common to post this type of stuff in the battle forums...Hey watcha think about
#34 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

It sure looks good.

#35 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: the problem for me is I hate to jump into a book, and there's 70+ issues of catch-up...that is why it's on the "to-read" list
#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: To do? You have a To do list? lol! You can start with TPB.
#37 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @aztek the lost: To do? You have a To do list? lol! You can start with TPB. "
I think you misunderstand, I have so much on my to-do list I can't get to it all right away...I read dozens of new comics every week...and there's so much more I want to read...so it's hard to prioritize, I liked Kirkman's Battle Pope but his next work I'm going to try and jump on is Walking Dead
#38 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I see , so you never read Invincible? and I been meaning to ask you this for a long time: Is you're avi Lobo?
#39 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @aztek the lost: I see , so you never read Invincible? and I been meaning to ask you this for a long time: Is you're avi Lobo? "
nope, haven't read Invincible, I do want to though so it is on my really long list...I've been interested in it for years but every time I want to pick up a new series something else comes up...of course, if it finishes in a year or two (does the end seem near?) then I could always pick it all up in one shot 

and no, no it's not...it's actually one of my favorite comic characters of all time: Shade, the Changing Man...the girl is Epiphany Greaves...they both come from Hellblazer, one of my favorite ongoing comics and I loved Simon Bisley's artwork so much I had to make it my avatar, it's been my avatar since the image first popped up on the Internet
#40 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

I might check it out.

#41 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: You should

@aztek the lost:
Its a pretty cool series...lol Lobo..
#42 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
" @aztek the lost: I see , so you never read Invincible? and I been meaning to ask you this for a long time: Is you're avi Lobo? "
nope, haven't read Invincible, I do want to though so it is on my really long list...I've been interested in it for years but every time I want to pick up a new series something else comes up...of course, if it finishes in a year or two (does the end seem near?) then I could always pick it all up in one shot t "
My understanding is that Kirkman's embracing the superhero genre with Invincible including the aspect that traditional superhero stories never end.  Part of his deal with Image was that Invincible would be a perpetual property like Spawn.  

Are you reading Walking Dead, Aztek? 

No one really expected that to go as long as it has... the survival horror genre has implicit in it the idea of an eventual ending... but it keeps going and going... I beginning to wonder if Walking Dead is ever going to end or fade in quality and relevance over time.  (which is not at all an indictment of Walking Dead's quality only that no one can predict whether the end is near considering Kirkman himself never anticipated it going this long... in a letter he famously joked that to keep things fresh aliens would appear by issue #75 and sure enough he paid homage to that recently int he book as a joke)
#43 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

A follow-up on Kirkman's view on whether Walking Dead ought to continue... 

IGN Comics: Is the Walking Dead a finite story, or will you continue to explore this world and these characters as long as it interests both you and readers? 

Kirkman: I like the idea of doing the book twenty years from now and selling a fraction of what I'm selling now, and everyone being like, "Man, I wish he would've stopped. He's fat Elvis now. We want to remember the way he was!" But at the same time, I hope I have the wherewithal to say, "Hey, maybe I've lost something on this book. This book is not as good as it has been. I'm still enjoying it, and I still think it's awesome, but it's just not connecting with readers anymore and it's time to move on." I don't know. I mean I certainly don't have a planned ending. I'm certainly not sitting here saying, "Okay, issue 79 is when it ends!" I'd like to stay on as long as possible. I'd like to do 500 issues. I only want to stay on as long as people are liking it and as long as I'm enjoying it and feel like I'm doing something good. I'd have to think really long and hard if Charlie [Adlard] were to come to me and say, "I don't want to do this anymore." Because I really like doing the book with him. And luckily, I think Charlie's enjoying himself. 

Read more: http://comics.ign.com/articles/819/819361p3.html#ixzz11RbAerhm

#44 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24: Go for it! Have a look around online for some cheap deals, that's what I did and I don't regret it in the slightest! 

@aztek the lost: Judging from what Kirkman said about Walking Dead right above me, I can only assume he feels the same way about Invincible. It's an ongoing book and its such a big universe I simply can't see it 'ending'. Even if Invincible died, which is pretty unlikely, there are too many great characters in the Invincible world for Kirkman to totally abandon that world. Kirkman always says how much fun he has working on the book with Ryan, so I don't see it ending any time soon. If Ottley left, then its a different story, but I don't think there is an end in sight. 

As for actually picking it up, I seriously recommend buying the first Ultimate Collection trade. There are some places on the net you can get it VERY cheap, considering its 13 issues plus sketches and other bonuses. You don't have to buy the series in one go, just get the first trade and see if you're interested. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys superhero comics. And anyone who enjoys comics in general, too :P    

#45 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline: Is there anything about Invincible?
#46 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

i read it. it was thanks to someone in cv that i started reading it. 
as for a starting point i think its vital to read the first issues since a major event that forges his life and the worlds fate happens in issue 8 or 12 i believe.That issue is also what set invisible as a comic  i must keep reading to me.

#47 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs a movie.

#48 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

been reading since 08, when i first heard of it and have been reading anything with Kirkman's name on it

#49 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible is #1  

#50 Posted by danhimself (22498 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think there's anything wrong with Invincible's popularity...it's in absolutely no danger of being canceled and there aren't 50 Invincible books flooding the market right now

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.