Invincible

#1 Posted by simply_me (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading the Invincible series for the past 4 months now...yeah I know, I'm kind of behind. But I was wondering if anyone else was into the series? and if so what do you like about the series?

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12410 posts) - - Show Bio

I just started the series. I like it because it's a somewhat more fresh and humorous take on super-heroics.

#3 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio

Love reading Invincible. For me it's the fresh take on supers and how they can shift from utter sillyness to very mature content in a natural way. Its on of the few american comics I always look forward to the next issue.

#4 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

yea, i'v been reading it in the ultimate collections since 2008 and it is as already stated a fresh look at superheroes,  Kirkman's writing is brilliant it can be humorus in moment and deadly serious the next, and he's always tieing in loads of subplots that you never notice for along time and then the plot is brought up as one of the major plots and you go back and read some of the old stuff and you notice this and you never thought twice about a panel or of a piece of dialog and now those small insignificant moments are a mojor part of the ongoing plot, suppose the easiest example would be in issue one when Mark says his dad is fighting a Dragon and only recently we found out that its mister Liu's astral form, and I always liked how he works part of his real world conversations into the book like when Mark was getting his first costume "it sings but i don't know if its the tune were lookin for".
Ottley's art is amazing especially when you compare his early stuff on invincible to now their is a major difference

#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Its awesome

#6 Posted by simply_me (23 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
" yea, i'v been reading it in the ultimate collections since 2008 and it is as already stated a fresh look at superheroes,  Kirkman's writing is brilliant it can be humorus in moment and deadly serious the next, and he's always tieing in loads of subplots that you never notice for along time and then the plot is brought up as one of the major plots and you go back and read some of the old stuff and you notice this and you never thought twice about a panel or of a piece of dialog and now those small insignificant moments are a mojor part of the ongoing plot, suppose the easiest example would be in issue one when Mark says his dad is fighting a Dragon and only recently we found out that its mister Liu's astral form, and I always liked how he works part of his real world conversations into the book like when Mark was getting his first costume "it sings but i don't know if its the tune were lookin for".Ottley's art is amazing especially when you compare his early stuff on invincible to now their is a major difference "
Yeah his art does get a lot more stylized as the series develops--I really like the coloring in the issues too.
#7 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
"Love reading Invincible. For me it's the fresh take on supers and how they can shift from utter sillyness to very mature content in a natural way. Its on of the few american comics I always look forward to the next issue."

This. 
And the fact that I know almost for sure that the series will not be "Fractioned" or "bendized".
Invincible is one of the few comics truly worth these times. I like the humor too.

#8 Edited by joshmightbe (24474 posts) - - Show Bio

i love invincible

#9 Posted by Ms. Omega (4392 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it Invincible is one of my favorite comic series

#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read Invincible # 45 onward...I don't know what happened before that...care to ellaborate a little?

#11 Posted by Antiochus (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the fact that there seems to be a will to expand upon the ''Invincible'' universe.  Kirkman wrote in a huge cast of interesting supporting characters like Atom Eve, Rex Splode, Robot, Immortal Man, Black Samson, Allen the Alien and the Shapesmith.  All those characters feel worthy of expantion beyond their current roles and this is the proof of good writing on Kirkman's part.

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry to bump this thread but should I began collecting invincible I heard great stuff from it but it would cost me much money because I want to start at the beginning is it worth it.

#13 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Loki9876: it's definatly worth it, if you get the hardbacks theirs only 6 so far and they go all the way to issue 70
#14 Posted by Vitality (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Most definitely worth it.

Also...make sure you start from the very beginning.

#15 Posted by The_Mayhem_Theory (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
Very worth the time, money, and anticipation. Not one comic has made me turn-head, nor regret ever starting the series. Kirkman is shining his grace and it's proving to be rather popular amongst Image fans. As a few of you have already stated, it's a fresh take on superheroes, with realism, humor, and plain ol' fun mixed in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.