Follow

Invincible

Character » Invincible appears in 443 issues.

Girls, acne, homework and supervillains. When you're a teenager it pays to be - Invincible. Mark Grayson is the hero Invincible, whom is a Viltrumite/Human hybrid. Mark is one of the greatest heroes on Earth and is the son of Omni-Man. The new emperor of the Viltrum empire is a true hero to the very end.

How did TWD get so much more popular than Invincible

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First off i will say that i am a big walking fan, but here i am baffled as why is TWD is that much more popular than invincible, and outsells it by like 5:1 in diamond sales, invincible barely cracks the top 150 while twd is at top 15.

I mean werent there like a billion zombie books before at that time, the only thing was special about the book was its tagline , as it never ends and the main characters can die. Yes they are fun and nice , but god are they slow, and the amount of repetitive plot threads is way too much, hell even some the characters are repetitive like how Abraham is a re skinned tyrone. Anyway invincible is everything i want in a comic, full of interesting plot threads that actually get resolved, mostly contained in its own comic , no read this issue of another series, the characters really develop and change, there is no status que. basically there is never a dull moment in it. Why didnt the comic take off, just like the walking dead, if TWD was a fresh take on the zombie genre, invincible was just as much so, it even came before it.

And yes yes i am aware the show increased its popularity despite it being much worse than the comic. Anyhow i feel i am rambling here, but the fact there are very few who read it, very few who discus it, this board is usually dead, and those who read it , read it in trades man,

And another reason why i am annoyed about its low sales, is it seems now that kirkman is giving it a much lower priority and the comic has been really troubled by all these delays, like month in month out. Take it however you want it , yeah there is a bit of fanboyshness here , i felt i really wanna say this .

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Its hard for new superheroes to get popular. I think the only one that's really disproved this fact is Deadpool (created in the 90's) but even his comics don't really sell like any of the big hitters either. You could maybe make a case for Wolverine...but even he was made in the 70's.

I personally also think that Invincible is a superior series to TWD (though no need to bash the latter)

The TV show has helped TWD a lot too.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonSmith

Probably because it's easy to hear a summary of Invincible (Without spoilers) and write it off as "Peter Parker only Superman instead of Spider powers." And you won't really realize it's awesomeness and that it's so much MORE than that concept until you read it.

Brad387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invincible is a great series, but as others have said superheroes are a saturated market in which nothing but the big hitters succeed (such as DC's Batman or Marvel's X-Men) and so that is why it receives so little recognition. It is a shame, because it is everything I could ever want in a comic series.

The characters are great, relatable, they make mistakes (as we've seen numerous times with Mark, such as the recent The Death Of Everyone event). Above all, there is also clear progression. We see Mark evolve from a teenager into a young adult, not just stronger physically but also emotionally, and all in the space of just over 100 issues. We see characters, whom we once believed to be entirely evil, have an almost justifiable reasoning for their actions and, vice versa, trusted heroes turn nasty.

Furthermore, as is the way with The Walking Dead too, there is death and real death at that. Sure, there is the illusion of death for cliffhangers at the end of an issue which is quickly fixed by the next, but there is no (as of yet, at least) bringing back the dead after forty issues. Heroes have died or changed drastically and, for the most part, it's been stood by. My main problem with DC was that there was no risk, as we all knew Superman would live to see another day (after all, he's near invincible) and that Batman too would survive. He's popular, so he'd have to in order for there to be another issue. With Invincible, whilst there is still a degree of this security, the greater lack of heightens the tension and makes it feel more dramatic.

The art is also brilliant and the vibrancy, at times downright simplism, of it all is a stark contrast from DC's gritty style adopted in nearly every single comic and it shows the creative freedom which content creators have over at Image. So far, having skimmed through a few of their other titles also, they're on track to become my favourite comics publisher - over DC or Marvel (besides their films, I never really liked the latter anyway).

Finally, what really makes it awesome is the storyline. There are complex plotlines with twists and whatnot, but they're self-contained. Being able to buy a single series and understand its plots, instead of a storyline being spread across multiple series in an attempt to milk you of cash, is brilliant. It's also much friendlier to newbies, especially how it notes where else to read if you want more specific information on a referenced event.

However, having said that its story is great, that is also its weakness. At first glance, it does appear like a standard affair. Take the powers of Superman and mix him in with Spiderman, plus throw in some references to aliens for good measure, and it all sounds very generic. It isn't until after the first six issues or so that its uniqueness begins to shine, which is a shame.

TLDR (or conclusion, if you will): Invincible is great. I read all 109 issues in the space of a week and cannot wait until its April release. I just hope that, with Kirkman apparently taking it down a The Walking Dead route starting with a "reboot" of sorts in Issue 111, that it isn't ruined. Also, I hope it isn't delayed, because I couldn't stand that. I'm a huge fan!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

C'mon, is this even a question? Did you notice one has an award-winning, critically acclaimed television show, and the other does not? :P

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Arrow

I like Invincible more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.