• 62 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 is on sale October 7, 2015.

First of all, it might be a minor and silly thing, but I love having INVINCIBLE back in the title. It's a brand new series and the immediate question many will have is where does this fit in? What do you have to know from before? The answer to second question is, not much. We're back to the core of who Tony Stark is. He's a billionaire inventor futurist playboy etc. We may not know what happened during Secret Wars but once you start reading, you'll see it doesn't matter too much right now.

Brian Michael Bendis has brought back the Tony we're all familiar with. New and old readers will immediately recognize the brilliant and arrogant inventor sitting in his workshop, tinkering with a new suit of armor. As we get a feel and taste for Bendis' Tony Stark, there is also a bigger story brewing in the background. Stark will soon face a old foe many of us have been longing to see. David Marquez's rendition of this foe, plus the new armor, look great.

Bendis does his thing and really gives us a taste of the characters. While there is some pretty cool action scenes, there is a bit of set up, showing us where Tony is and is going, along with a new player or two popping in. The conversations scenes are fun but some of the panel layout gets a little tricky. It's something we've seen before where some double page spreads, you're not sure if you should be reading straight across to the next page or vertically before moving to the second page. Some of the panels didn't quite line up but you can pretty much tell right away when you're headed in the wrong direction.

David Marquez really dives into the art. With Justin Ponsor's colors, it's a gorgeous book. Even the scenes with the conversation look great. You'll want to take in all the detail and you'll find yourself looking forward to what's coming up in the series more and more as you move through the issue.

And of course there's a pretty great and crazy last page that will leave you hanging until the second issue is released.

Who is Iron Man? Brian Michael Bendis is answering that question for us. Picking up on some previous loose ends along with setting things up for this next phase in the Marvel Universe, this new Iron Man series is off to a pretty cool start. Bendis sets it all up and makes the book completely accessible to readers, regardless of what you have or haven't read before. We get a firm grasp of who Tony is at this point and the story is establishing a new era for Iron Man. David Marquez's art along with Justin Ponsor's colors makes this a thing of beauty. You won't want to miss an issue.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By kcomicfan

with this review I have no reservations about buying this book

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

4 stars? Tony why did you hate it?

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" Brian Michael Bendis has brought back the Tony we're all familiar with." LOL THAT'S GOING TO MAKE A LOT OF HATERS HEADS EXPLODE!

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to get this, but I don't want any of secret war spoiled, I might wait on it just in case

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13: Not really sure what you mean there. What I meant is this isn't SUPERIOR Iron Man anymore, which I did also enjoy. This is Tony Stark as he's supposed to be.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe: Hard to say if anything will get spoiled. I'd assume they're going to not mention any specifics to keep it new-reader friendly. Of course there are some lingering questions and one pretty big head-scratcher that may or may not be directly addressed in later issues of SECRET WARS.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@ducey13 said:

" Brian Michael Bendis has brought back the Tony we're all familiar with." LOL THAT'S GOING TO MAKE A LOT OF HATERS HEADS EXPLODE!

Not if they don't like Iron Man or Bendis, this'll just be another positive review from someone who likes them both.

I guess you could call me a 'hater' though I think labeling is wrong. My personal curiosity about this title is when Tony's going to stab his friends in the back, manipulate them and/or slip something in Mary Jane's drink to get her into bed. That's the Tony Stark I've known since cw and I don't see Bendis changing that.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: If someone "doesn't like" Iron Man or Bendis, I would have no idea why they would buy this comic then.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Iron Man is one of those characters where I like the movie version, but find their comics utterly boring. I may give this a shot...maybe.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hotroddii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just in shock Iron Man is still a white male!!!

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely picking this up!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:

Not if they don't like Iron Man or Bendis, this'll just be another positive review from someone who likes them both.

I guess you could call me a 'hater' though I think labeling is wrong. My personal curiosity about this title is when Tony's going to stab his friends in the back, manipulate them and/or slip something in Mary Jane's drink to get her into bed. That's the Tony Stark I've known since cw and I don't see Bendis changing that.

what

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@mark_stephen: If someone "doesn't like" Iron Man or Bendis, I would have no idea why they would buy this comic then.

To see if they are wrong.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see that the'll be kicking off ANAD Marvel right

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@tony_shark said:

@mark_stephen: that isn't him at all though

This is the guy who created Clor, tricked She-Hulk into bed and has recently been a hi-tech drug dealer. If there are legal or ethical limits to what he'll do I don't know what they are. Also he's written by Bendis who's abused characters from the Scarlet Witch to Iceman, if there's a limit to what he'll have a character do I also don't know what it is.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@hotroddii: Well his parents aren't really his parents so for all we know he could be Columbian or Dominican.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man is one of those characters where I like the movie version, but find their comics utterly boring. I may give this a shot...maybe.

Same.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@ducey13: Not really sure what you mean there. What I meant is this isn't SUPERIOR Iron Man anymore, which I did also enjoy. This is Tony Stark as he's supposed to be.

I just simply mean that there's already been a lot of negativity towards Bendis writing this book (Before it's even come out) and Tony Stark's character since Civil War. So the fact that "Brian Michael Bendis has brought back the Tony we're all familiar with". Will make a lot of haters' heads explode because he will have given them what they wanted and now they have nothing to complain about.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested and confused at the same time, I mean Secret Wars hasn't even ended yet and they're already busting out the new #1's? O_o...wtf MARVEL?!

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: That's all post extremis and tbh so half of the heroes in Marvel have done morally questionable stuff:

Cyclops trying to become the Phoenix, The Illuminati blowimg up Earths, REED RICHARDS also made Clor, Black Panther secretly meeting with Namor, Wolverine threating to kill the president, Steve Rogers campaign against the X Men without diplomacy, Ares and Sentry joining the Dark Avengers?

Like just because the character is good anf pure like Peter Parker doesn't make them bad characters. You just sound salty at Stark. Without him, the Marvel Universe wouldn't be what it is. Same as others.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@tony_shark said:

@mark_stephen: That's all post extremis and tbh so half of the heroes in Marvel have done morally questionable stuff:

Cyclops trying to become the Phoenix, The Illuminati blowimg up Earths, REED RICHARDS also made Clor, Black Panther secretly meeting with Namor, Wolverine threating to kill the president, Steve Rogers campaign against the X Men without diplomacy, Ares and Sentry joining the Dark Avengers?

Like just because the character is good anf pure like Peter Parker doesn't make them bad characters. You just sound salty at Stark. Without him, the Marvel Universe wouldn't be what it is. Same as others.

You mean so long as everyone else is being horrible it's ok for Tony to be horrible too? Sorry I don't agree. And Tony taking advantage of Jen wasn't morally questionable, it was wrong. Ask any woman what she thinks of that situation.

Peter isn't good and pure, that's the guy who sold his marriage to the devil.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: You can like whatever characters you like. Most Marvel characters are complex and not at all pure. Yeah he depowered her because it was beneficial to him. So what? 10 years ago? Like he's shown extreme amounts of remorse and he's a different character. Read Matt Fractions Iron Man.

Horrible mistakes are made by characters all the time, so it's pointless to hate just because its Bendis or Stark.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@tony_shark said:

@mark_stephen: You can like whatever characters you like. Most Marvel characters are complex and not at all pure. Yeah he depowered her because it was beneficial to him. So what? 10 years ago? Like he's shown extreme amounts of remorse and he's a different character. Read Matt Fractions Iron Man.

Horrible mistakes are made by characters all the time, so it's pointless to hate just because its Bendis or Stark.

Don't hate, just don't like. Considering all that he keeps doing remorse is kind of pointless. And the depowerment came after he tricked her into bed. Again ask any woman what she thinks of that. He's not complex, as written he's just a sleazy guy who does what he wants to who he wants and then skips away from it after a few tears.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Why did this not get 5 stars? I don't mean that in the nagging fanboy kind of way, but because on the basis of the review I'd expect 5 stars where 4 are given. Anyways, I'm convinced to go and pick up a copy.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wonder if this new series has the potential to match up to Fraction's run, which I loved. Curious if they will address Arno Stark and Tony's heritage. I was not a fan of that storyline.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Then whats the point of commenting on this? You don't like him that's fine. Wolverine is a murderer. Moonkight and Frank Castle are psychos. Like, the point is how you explore the characters.

And Iron Man hasn't had a good run since 2010

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate Bendis, but love Iron Man.. This'll be a coin flip.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate the design of the new suit...

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first edition was solid and the art of Marques is fantastic. Despite my love-hate relationship with Stark, I hope the Bendis make me go back to have an appreciation to the character, but will never overcome the version of the animation of Avengers: EMH.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Bendis-speak is still in play here. That repetitive, "quippy" dialogue can be very ingrating.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wonder what the suit can do

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a great issue. I like it. The art was also so good.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was really good. The reveal that Doom is alive and has no facial scarring was kind of mind blowing.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Then whats the point of commenting on this? You don't like him that's fine. Wolverine is a murderer. Moonkight and Frank Castle are psychos. Like, the point is how you explore the characters.

And Iron Man hasn't had a good run since 2010

Don't ask me what the point is of my posting an opinion in a place that was designed for people to post an opinion. You don't agree, don't like or don't care about my opinion fine, but don't ask why I'm posting it.

Still, I guess that's better than the guy who implied I was trolling when I did post it.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By BR_Havoc

@kcomicfan: Why we have known about the face part since the Allreds finished there awesome run of FF.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: How? I did not read that run of the FF. In secret wars #3 Doom's face is shown and it horribly disfigured.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: Ah so Hickman never bothered to read books involving Doom great, Just like Nick Spencer and Antman. So I guess Marvel just does not believe in any continuity anymore.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: should have added [secret wars spoiler] outside of your spoiler block. I scrolled over without care of Iron-Man spoilers, and then I got hit with your surprise.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: that comment is weird, cause, um, Ya....Also, I never finished FF, been meaning to finish it.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never bought bought iron man on a regular, just mostly here and there... however i'm gonna give this a read tonight and see how it is... i think the wings on the suite look bad ass !!! i however miss the Marvel now black and gold armor.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe: It is and it isn't, Sure its a bit odd for me to say but like Nick Spencer's Antman all the progress that happened in FF was swept away and they act as if it never happened. When it was a great story full of character development for both Doom and Scott.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: It had more to do the "Hickman never reading a book involving doom" comment.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe: Ah well that has been an issue for Hickman, If your going to use Doom as your big bad you should read recent story's he was a main player in and frankly he seemed to have not of done that. Not that it matters since Marvel has already cut any momentum SW had in not waiting to release all these new titles.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: should have added [secret wars spoiler] outside of your spoiler block. I scrolled over without care of Iron-Man spoilers, and then I got hit with your surprise.

It's a surprise that Dr. Doom's face is disfigured?

@br_havoc

I didn't read all of FF, but to be fair I think Secret Wars is intended to be an extension of Hickman's long run on Fantastic Four. You're right that he should have been aware of and included more recent story arcs involving Doom, but it's kind of on Marvel's editors for likely knowing Secret Wars was in the pipeline and allowing major changes to Doom in FF to begin with.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By donmeca2020

Read it last night. It kept me interested, and seems like a good start. AGAIN....

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

The issue was interesting. The ending got me intrigued for the next issue.

Vaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis completely ruining Doom's characterization again, what a surprise. He wouldn't be in the shadows while Latveria's essentially in a state of civil war, he wouldn't be dressed like Lex Luthor, and he sure as hell wouldn't say that he needs anybody (especially Tony Stark). It's the last bit that pisses me off. Remember that this is the same guy who, rather than directly ask Stephen Strange for help freeing his mother's soul from Hell, decided to enter the Trial of the Vishanti and intentionally throw the contest because the runner up was able to demand a favor from the winner and new Sorcerer Supreme. Literally did all of that because he refuses to state that he needs help. That's the Doctor Doom I know and love, not this garbage.

HuiZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HuiZe

Marvel making him not the son of Howard Stark killed any chance of me reading an Ironman series, then there was the genetic engineering and, of course, the MJ thing as of late to reaffirm that decision. I'll stick with MCU Tony.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.