Review: Invincible Iron Man #26

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Tony Stark hires an ex-employee he wronged in the past while the Hammer girls with the Spymaster to sell his old tech to terrorists.

The Good

I haven't read Iron Man in a long while, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a comic excelling in as many ways as this. Fraction and Larroca are at such peak-performance here that they really make it look effortless. The dialogue hooks you in from the first bubble and doesn't let up for the whole issue. Like all good storytelling, in any medium, everything just flows. One panel logically leads to the next. The words expertly compliment the images and there's a true command of "closure" exhibited here.

I want to comment on Larroca's art, in particular, since I've followed him since his days drawing the Heroes Return mini. It's really amazing to see how his art has evolved from a cartoony style to the almost photo-real work., here Just an amazing transformation. I felt like I was seeing actual people interacting in these pages - - not comics characters. And I'll say that his redesign of Spymaster is very sleek. It modernizes the villain's look, making his costume seem practical, while still keeping visual motifs linked to the original design. And I love the way he draws Iron Man's bio-mechanical armor.

The Bad

Any readers who have a had a problem with Tony Stark being an "Uh-huh" in the last few years of storylines, or have been miffed about the whole brainwipe thing, probably won't dig this. Fraction makes Tony a very flawed protagonist, here, and not in a cute way either. He really does something awful to his ex-employee in the flashbacks and then he's too arrogant to even own up it to in the present. Accurate characterization, to be sure, but it'll rub some people the wrong way.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Anybody who's enjoyed the movies and hoped to see more of that particular vibe reflected in the comics will thoroughly enjoy this. It perfectly captures that mix of real world grounding and flawed human charm, without sacrificing anything from the comics' history. And I'll say again how cool this liquid armor is... it's great to still see concepts in these comics that the movies can't tackle! This is an excellent "jumping on issue" and one of the best books I've read this week, right along with Deadpool.
#1 Posted by COOL ARROW (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice Review, thanks to you I'm going to have to pick it up!

#2 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

found it good, still waitin to see what the armor can really do though.

#3 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I started picking the issues for Invincible Iron Man a couple issues back and people have been giving them such high ratings, but i dont understand. I havent thought its been that great. Am i missing something?

#4 Posted by Sunrise (27 posts) - - Show Bio

great review, totally agree with it. the flaws of tony make for an interesting character, let him balance the arrogance with heroism and i'll be a happy reader

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this book.

#6 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing book!

#7 Posted by TylerLux (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I can not argue with you guys. It was a great review and this arc rocks. 

#8 Posted by War Killer (20223 posts) - - Show Bio

You know reading this issue, and the part with Maria Hill, I started to think of what G-Man said during the review of #25 where he brought the theory that maybe Tony's faking the "mindwipe," I know it could be a long shot, but Tony and Maria's conversation really made me think that he's faking the whole thing.

#9 Posted by Tamed (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Really love that he's getting rid of his old suits, after all these years. Iron Man needs to move forward and become something else now that the movies have brought such a spotlight on the character. It's brave to take such a risk when there will be so many new people jumping on but I couldn't be more excited to see how Iron Man progresses from here.

#10 Posted by Antiochus (34 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" You know reading this issue, and the part with Maria Hill, I started to think of what G-Man said during the review of #25 where he brought the theory that maybe Tony's faking the "mindwipe," I know it could be a long shot, but Tony and Maria's conversation really made me think that he's faking the whole thing. "
Unlikely.  He never denied responsability for any action he took which means that ''faking it'' would not have any purpose and be more of a hassle than anything else.  I understand a lot of his issues with Hill though.  During the events of the Civil War, Iron Man had rougly half of the marvel community and the majority of the public on his side.  There is a certain hypocrisy when someone like Maria Hill would judge him harshly on those particular issues given she was actually the one who fired the firsts shots and who spearheaded the whole thing.  Its not just about her either.  Characters like Hank Pym, Reed Richards, She-Hulk, Wonder Man or Miss Marvel all sided with Tony and helped him during that period yet none of them ever had to deal with a level of responsability and blame remotely comparable to the one Stark has to face daily.   

Maria Hill sees her time working at Cap's side as the greatest thing in her life, which is understandable, but I does make her past history a problem to her.  

Yet, Stark does make one mistake.  He fails to see that Hill's reaction is not just due to denial, but to the fact that he forgot everything, including the fact that they slept together.  There was something to piss off Hill when he samed he would do it all again, without understanding the implications this would theoretically have for her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.