Follow

Invincible Iron Man

Volume »

Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1 ( and continued Iron Man volume 1)

A Preview of Drunk Tony In Action!

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini

So yeah, Tony's drinking again, that's a thing now. Here's some preview pages of Invincible Iron Man 506. This dwarf's going to get real annoying real fast based on these preview pages. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

awesome...can't wait to see what Stark can build there

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @danhimself:  
    Word, if nothing else this should be interesting.  I'm not as mad about Tony breaking his sobriety as others are. Though I don't like the reasoning behind it...at all. I am willing to see how the story develops though. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danhimself
    @JonesDeini:  I don't mind him that he drank again either but it's Thor's dad...he shouldn't need to make the sacrifice to get his attention
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar

Anyone else think this was going to be a thread about G-man?

Don't blame me! It's called the WHISKEY media hour, I can't help it!

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTG12
    @TheCrowbar

lol true
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE

Love IIM, but sort of felt the motion throws back in the face of the prior work, particularly the .1 issue which played like an AA pamphlet.
    Fraction's writing still hasn't failed me otherwise since his start on this series.
    (notably this may not have been his decision and he's just dealing with the fallout, since it started in someone else's book, imo)

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Loki9876

well maybe it was a one time thing

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @danhimself:  
    Yeah I get that him giving up something he holds dear and stepping out on faith is supposed to be a big emotional  thing. But I just don't by it personally. But then again maybe the situation's so extreme that Tony has to set aside his beliefs and lie prostrate before the "gods"? 

@CATPANEXE said:
    Love IIM, but sort of felt the motion throws back in the face of the prior work, particularly the .1 issue which played like an AA pamphlet. Fraction's writing still hasn't failed me otherwise since his start on this series. (notably this may not have been his decision and he's just dealing with the fallout, since it started in someone else's book, imo)

No dice, Fraction IS calling the shots on Fear Itself. This is all his idea, which is what makes it all the more baffling and disappointing. As a man who's tried to quit drinking a time or two with varying degrees of success I totally get that relapses happen. My problem is that I feel like Tony's relapse is being played for cheap drama. If this event is about facing one's fears than why not have Tony face his fear of becoming the man he used to be and overcoming that by NOT DRINKING when it would be the easier choice? I mean that's the first fear he mentions in the start of Five Nightmares. How about building on the idea of how Tony fears having to admit that there're things in this universe that even his (and his smartest friends') vast intellects can't comprehend, rationalize or Accept. You can still have him building weapons in Asgardian's forges without the asinine sacrifice. I think praying to Odin and humbling himself, sacrificing his dignity would've been more than enough to get his attention. And it could've been just as emotional a moment. As it reads now it's like Tony's sobriety was broken simply so he can make toys for his friends and move the plot along. That to me is just poor writing and disrespectful the character and his fans.     
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By daredevil21134
    @JonesDeini
       This SUCKS.I already thought this series was stale and now this.Someone tell when Matt Fraction leaves Iron Man.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonesDeini
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @JonesDeini:    This SUCKS.I already thought this series was stale and now this.Someone tell when Matt Fraction leaves Iron Man.
    He's done so much good on the book that I owe it to him to hear him out. I'll give him a chance to make something great out of this. 
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @JonesDeini: No dice to what? I think you read someone else's comment and responded. O_o
    MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#12  Edited By MatKrenz

Well ill eventually be buying this series in trades so I guess this leaves me plenty of time to improve my drunk Tony impression for this part.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By daredevil21134
    @JonesDeini said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@JonesDeini:    This SUCKS.I already thought this series was stale and now this.Someone tell when Matt Fraction leaves Iron Man.
    He's done so much good on the book that I owe it to him to hear him out. I'll give him a chance to make something great out of this. 
    I personally was enjoying Iron Man until he got on the book.But I was still reading it because I like the character but this just pisses me off
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonesDeini
    @CATPANEXE said:

@JonesDeini: No dice to what? I think you read someone else's comment and responded. O_o

I was responding to you saying this in your post 
     " (notably this may not have been his decision and he's just dealing with the fallout, since it started in someone else's book, imo) "  
    I can't buy that reasoning due to Fraction being at the helm of both books.  

@daredevil21134:  
    Fraction's kind of set the mold for me of how Iron Man stories should be written and I think he's done a A LOT of great things for the character. In my opinion Robert Downey Jr. & Matt Fraction are the two best things to have happened to Iron Man and have saved the franchise. But I get if you don't dig Fraction's writing, totally get that man. 
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @JonesDeini: Well you can't very well decide for me where I stand on Iron Man? And no, Fraction doesn't have editorial power on Fear Itselfl. Not saying it might not have been his call either, but there's the outside chance it wasn't. I'm sorry the issue frustrates you as much as it does anyways.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonesDeini
    @CATPANEXE said:
    @JonesDeini: Well you can't very well decide for me where I stand on Iron Man? And no, Fraction doesn't have editorial power on Fear Itselfl. Not saying it might not have been his call either, but there's the outside chance it wasn't. I'm sorry the issue frustrates you as much as it does anyways.
    I never attempted to do so, dictate that is. Trust me I have less than zero desire to do so. I'm simply stating how I see the situation. It is possible that this was an editorial dictate. But with the leeway that Marvel's Golden Boy's/Architects get creatively I'm more inclined to think that the decision originated from Fraction.  
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By MrUnknown

I don't mind Tony drinking again although I thought Tony was well past that now. The reason though makes it so much worse.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JonesDeini
    @MrUnknown said:
    I don't mind Tony drinking again although I thought Tony was well past that now. The reason though makes it so much worse.
    Yeah, like you said. The reason is my problem. In reality I'd likely write Tony drinking again, folk. But I'd show him conquering the demon. Learning to drink responsibly and moderately. Self-control out of asceticism. My theory is that Tony's drinking is a side-effect of an underlying, deeper issue. I think Fraction did a great job of hinting at that in II 500.1 
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By MrUnknown
    @JonesDeini: Meh all of the .1 issues that I read felt lame and more like filler to me.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JonesDeini
    @MrUnknown said:
    @JonesDeini: Meh all of the .1 issues that I read felt lame and more like filler to me.
    Can't argue with that, folk. When I first read the Iron Man one I felt it was an overblown sagas. But then I sat down and really read it and analyzed it and It really resonated with me on a personal level. I also felt that unlike most .1's it actually did serve as a useful jumping on point to introduce the character to new comers. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.