k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

So far, INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE has been all about John Constantine. It's a nice change of pace, obviously, but Batman's felt like a bit of a joke. It's hilarious, but I imagine some fans of the Dark Knight aren't too happy that he's being mocked over and over nothing has been done to counter all the teasing. Well, your moment has arrived. The dynamic between Constantine and Batman reaches a boiling point and what follows is basically a love letter to how pivotal Batman is in this universe. Now, it may seem like the Constantine's become the joke for once, but writer Tom Taylor handles this in a way that gives a lot of love to an older comic and winds up paying respect to both characters. The plot doesn't progress all that much, but their relationship does, and that's critical as the story moves forward. Oh, and there's a moment which reminds me just how much I want Taylor to one day write a Harley Quinn series. It's not something that'll make you burst into laughter or anything like that; it's just an adorable bit and I love how he writes the character.

There's a blatant and cheerworthy nod to one of Batman's most memorable scenes. Everything from the angles to the amount of characters in the panels is the same. I'm surprised Taylor didn't incorporate the big line (I could see Harley joking about it), but maybe he thought that would have been a bit too heavy-handed. Regardless, that bit made me crack a huge smile.

Aside from a human in the double-page spread with Spectre (it kind of looks like they're power walking instead of running and full of fear), Bruno Redondo, Xermanico, and Rex Lokus' visuals are consistent and do a fine job hitting us with all of the strong emotions and big displays of magic. Everything from a sad expression on Harley Quinn's face to Teekl gazing at a chaotic scene just feels right. While these are very short chapters (they are only $0.99 and weekly, after all), the layout prevents this one from feeling like too quick of a read. And, as stated above, there's a fantastic nod to an older comic. ONE NOD!

The Bad

The bit between Batman and Spectre is a badass display for Batman (no, he doesn't kick Spectre), but I'm left wishing there was more to the dialogue. I'm sure Taylor will eventually explain why this powerful being is assisting Superman, but I imagine Wayne would have wanted to get a little more info during the exchange. It starts off with potential, but then quickly shifts gears. Maybe if the opening scene was trimmed to one page it could have allowed for a slightly longer conversation between the two. Again, I know we'll get our answers in due time, but with the last chapter's cliffhanger, you can't help but want a little more information. I can't be the only one wondering why Spectre's helping Superman, right?

The Verdict

The narrative doesn't take any big steps and I still have a lot of questions about Spectre's role, but this fourth chapter solidifies the connection between the two leads and offers a nice amount of spectacle as magic is put to use. There aren't any big jaw-droppers and Taylor goes for a more subtle cliffhanger this time around, but it's still well-written, looks lovely, and there's a moment in here that DC fans are sure to appreciate. All in all, this is yet another good chapter of INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone else upset Entrigan was taken out of play so early?

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This chapter was kind of meh but needed to understand the main threat so far in Year Three.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By micah007123

@micah: I kind of saw the beginning of this issue as a hint that he might not be.

I hope so. The resistance needs all the muscle they can muster.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Arrow

@k4tzm4n Actually the one who was covered behind the door was detective Chimp. You can clearly see that Harvey who was with Detective Chimp got desintegrated.

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@black_arrow said:

@k4tzm4n Actually the one who was covered behind the door was detective Chimp. You can clearly see that Harvey who was with Detective Chimp got desintegrated.

Well, funk. I viewed the last cliffhanger as Blood's body falling backwards and not another body being struck by the blast. Chalk that one up to human error. Removed that part from "The Bad." Thanks for the correction.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@black_arrow said:

Well, funk. I viewed the last cliffhanger as Blood's body falling backwards and not another body being struck by the blast. Chalk that one up to human error. Removed that part from "The Bad." Thanks for the correction.

No problem, I like to help in any way I can.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great chapter, but hey, what's the older comic being referenced?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm just glad that batman didn't kick the spectre and they got away. Still how he was able to not react to zatanna or find teh tower of fate will puzzle me, but this comic does nerf alot of characters so i won't complain too much.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Black_Arrow

@rexwing said:

Another great chapter, but hey, what's the older comic being referenced?

No Caption Provided

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RexWing

Ohh haha I see what they did there. I totally did not put two and two together. I thought I was missing out on some awesome batman v constantine story. Thanks!

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The One Punch tribute was beautiful.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogueshadow  Moderator

Still not over Bullock.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I have to admit I don't know what to feel about this issue and the last one, it just feels a little too random or convenient that they call this meeting and it's then immediately crashed by something that holds no allegiances to anyone on the planet. I don't think Superman is being aided as such, his side benefits from it obviously, but so far it appears the spook just latched onto the gathering of morally dubious mystics. (Considering what just happened to Jason, I doubt the spook would be holding off from doing the same to Raven.)

And for what? Jason has been on the Earth for centuries and the good guy of the equation he's in, so why was his the ticket that needed punching now?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@outside_85: I think Spectre's collaborating with Superman (why? No idea, hoping there's a good reason) and Kal was able to obtain the location of the meeting after questioning one of Batman's rebels. Or at least that's how I'm justifying the encounter.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@k4tzm4n said:

@outside_85: I think Spectre's collaborating with Superman (why? No idea, hoping there's a good reason) and Kal was able to obtain the location of the meeting after questioning one of Batman's rebels. Or at least that's how I'm justifying the encounter.

I could agree with it working along the same lines as Superman for the same reasons Swamp Thing will; less crime and monsters for it to deal with. But I don't think it needed Superman to know this meeting was taking place and where, since it's pretty much omniscient. And considering the company Superman is keeping, I am still pretty certain there would be a lot fewer of them if it came close to them. (Also Superman really has no way of getting into contact with it since his only mystic is tied to the floor of a warehouse somewhere)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@8008s said:

The One Punch tribute was beautiful.

Yes it was

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.