k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Can we all start calling this universe's Superman "Scumbag Superman"? Because he's a total scumbag right about now. Gone are the temper tantrums and tiny hopes of redemption. They're now replaced with a cold, calculating, and frightening character. In this chapter, Superman technically doesn't threaten someone from Batman's side and he's still able to fill him with fear and give every bit of info he possibly can. While someone like Sinestro tries to instill fear through force, this scene proves Superman's become crafty in a scary, scary way. From using human shields to even the odds against the Lanterns to simply making a prisoner aware of just how powerful he truly is, this Man of Steel has become the Man of Fear. You know what? Scratch "Scumbag Superman" because "Man of Fear" is more fitting, isn't it? I mean, he is wearing that Yellow Power Ring, after all.

While Superman sinks deeper and deeper into darkness, writer Tom Taylor continues to make Harley Quinn such a delight. The thing is she's not just laughs under his writing. Sure, the laughs are there and they're great, but there's more depth to the character and it's someone you want to see more of. In the wrong hands, she could be obnoxious or too goofy, but Taylor strikes the perfect tone with her... it's dialogue I could picture Arleen Sorkin or Tara Strong delivering. And the way it concludes with Flash's eyes? Totally priceless way to sell the gag.

If you're a fan of DC's magic world, odds are you're embracing this shift with open arms. For everyone else, there's a bit of a learning curve as the landscape is changed so much and Taylor uses Harvey Bullock to somewhat address how much the stage has shifted. The man has seen a lot of crazy stuff and the world is going to hell, but he can take a little super pill and then beat up some goons. But this? What does a regular human detective think they can bring to the table when the scope is so big and it's all about magic forces? This isn't a threat he can just slug in the face! Taylor's been celebrating the more ridiculous things in this universe that we often just accept (the car scene in the last issue was hysterical), but this dialogue grounded the situation. Suddenly, it went from out-there and lighthearted to compelling as Detective Chimp reminds Harvey what he's fighting for. Little exchanges like this one remind me this book isn't just about laughs or dark shock value -- there's great moments of character, too. Oh, and then we're hit with a massive cliffhanger -- one which is sure to hook you.

Some of Mike S. Miller's character work is a little rigid in this chapter, but everything else is consistent and his handling of Detective Chimp really pulls us into the more engaging discussion. As said above, the execution of Flash's expression was such an excellent way to compliment Quinn's line. Also, the final double-page spread makes this cliffhanger every bit as big as it should be (pun completely intended). The occasional use of magic and abilities allows J. Nanjan to give the pages some excitement with some vivid colors. Without giving anything away, I will say the final course of events certainly leaves an impact and that's largely due to the flood of shades of blue and dark red.

The Bad

Etrigan fans, you have my sympathy and likely the sympathy of Kyle Rayner fans, too. See, with Rayner, I was okay with it because the scene did a great job showing Sinestro's nature and set the tone for what's to come. While this is an exciting cliffhanger, I can't help but feel like killing Etriganthat soon -- especially when popular magic characters are more limited than popular Lanterns -- felt a little disappointing rather than shocking. I would have been more stunned if Harvey was the one to suffer that fate, especially after having a change of heart. He's hoping Etrigan's death wasn't for nothing and it enhances Harvey's story. The dude should be feeling pretty guilty right about now, yes?

The Verdict

INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE #3 doesn't have the same level of laughs as the previous 2 chapters, but that's okay because the story takes a big step forward. Instead of dragging out this mystery about what powerful force is lurking out there, the reveal makes quite an entrance (pun once again totally intended) and the bit leaves you wondering what the heck will happen next. Yes, there's still a few moments of levity to enjoy, but this third chapter focuses on reminding us just how important this mission is to Batman's side and then leaves us with the promise of a thrilling follow-up. Who would have thought a digital comic based on a video game would be so consistently good?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rogueshadow  Moderator

Great Issue, I really didn't think the magic threat was going to be who it was. Injustice never disappoints.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

So Year Three's going to end with Superman throwing God into the Sun.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Am I the only one who is disgusted by how Batman and co allow Harley, a mentally unstable person, torture Barry, who we know is still more or less a good guy? We are supposed to root for the insurgency, right?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ending though my word i can't wait for the next issue.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Spectre is an as*hole. All he had to do was knock.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxschreck: I think we're supposed to doubt both sides. In the first year, before Supes became the "Man of Fear" even, Batman kidnapped Hawkgirl and held her captive when the only thing she did wrong was not agree with him. She didn't attack innocent people, hell, we didn't see her attack anybody period. It was completely unjustified, and Batman only did it to get a spy on the inside. Granted, Batman's team don't go around randomly murdering people, so I guess it's just one of those "lesser of two evils" type situations.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this yet. Hope it's good.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The big reveal at the end was expected, they were practically setting it up for this from issue #1 this volume. It should be interesting how Insurgence fight off this threat, my bet is Constantine would have a big part in this.

Lastly, I hope the story expands on the motivation of this huge character and why exactly is he on Superman's side when Superman seems just as guilty.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@saren: Lol.I doubt that.What I want to know is why Spectre is helping Superman.Something big is going on here.We just have wait and see what it is.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MaxSchreck

@papinacho said:

@maxschreck: I doubt Batman knows about it, his orders were probably just to contain. ALso, Harley Quinn did say so I don't think it was extensive.

"just a little"

I don´t think we can trust that claim. This is the woman who loved the Joker... and she proved that she is not your harlmess Batman Tas Harley when she killed two police man in cold blood back in Injustice Year One. She should probably have her own cell right next to Flash and Damians.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By frozenedge2

Injustice is continuing to break my heart issue by issue and yet I can't stop reading it

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MaxSchreck

@maxschreck: I think we're supposed to doubt both sides. In the first year, before Supes became the "Man of Fear" even, Batman kidnapped Hawkgirl and held her captive when the only thing she did wrong was not agree with him. She didn't attack innocent people, hell, we didn't see her attack anybody period. It was completely unjustified, and Batman only did it to get a spy on the inside. Granted, Batman's team don't go around randomly murdering people, so I guess it's just one of those "lesser of two evils" type situations.

Interesting, I wouldn´t mind seeing the Insurgency being portrayed even less heroic. Can´t really forgive Bruce that he disowned his son after manslaughter, yet works together with unrepentant killers and thieves.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By micah007123

Anyone know how long does Superman continue to wear the Yellow Power Ring?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I dont know but that last appearance just felt like it came out of nowhere. Add to that, I dont get why this character gets involved now, and why in that fashion?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Spectre is force of vengeance and rage, so he definetly have some common ideas about justice with Man of Fear.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@saren said:

So Year Three's going to end with Superman throwing God into the Sun.

Probably not Superman, but I have a feeling the earlier depicted big n' bad is going to be how this big n' not-quite-so-bad gets dealt with.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

With all the heroes Superman is killing Spectre should be opposing him.

ShadowHuntR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: Actually, he's doing what he's doing in the name of justice and vengeance.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MaxSchreck

@shadowhuntr: Yeah... and for that very reason Spectre should be attempting to punish him. After all Spectre received the authority to do what he does from a higher power, Superman didn´t.

Avatar image for jeevanjacobjohn
    Jeevanjacobjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeevanjacobjohn

@maxschreck:

Yeah, I can't see why Spectre would support him. Would have made sense at the beginning of the series...but after everything Superman has done?

(If Spectre does support him, I don't think his boss - The presence - would be happy).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.