k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Brian Buccellato's first chapter of INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE (which went on sale last week), gave me confidence in his ability to take over Tom Taylor's story. The transition between writers was as smooth as silk (or something else that's very, very smooth) and his second chapter has really won me over. Not only does it have a hilariously entertaining fight, but it also drops one hell of an attention-grabber. The volume's tone remains consistent and that's extremely reassuring.

Wonder Woman vs. Sinestro is a blast. It's just long enough to deliver a satisfying brawl before racing forward with the bigger picture. To top it off, the writer manages to give us a little insight into Superman during this battle instead of focusing on the grunts and screaming that's going on between the two powerful fighters. Who would have expected that? Exactly, it's a welcome approach to what's a pretty straightforward fight. Now, fans of one of these characters might be disappointed because it is pretty very one-sided, and even though it is a whole lot of spectacle, it's also a nice example of just how far someone will go to protect the person they believe in.

There's a whole lot of punching and the art team (Sergio Davila, Juan Albarran, Rex Lokus) makes sure you can feel the weight behind these insanely powerful strikes and the impact they create as bodies go violently crashing into hard surfaces or vibrant constructs are unleashed. The look on Sinestro's face in one of the double-page spreads is absolutely priceless. Even if you're a big fan of Thaal and you're rooting for him, you can't help but laugh at it. I mean, on one hand, you have Diana unleashing with a determined look on her face. On the other hand, you have Sinestro enduring what appears to be one of the most painful and surprisingly powerful attacks he's ever been struck by. It's great. And while we're talking about the art, I will say I'm very happy Batman's eyes are covered and replaced by a solid lens. There's just something a little odd about the Dark Knight having his eyes exposed. The rest of the costume looks more like his attire from the standard universe, but it's still solid.

Buccellato again proves he can write these characters in a way that may have you thinking Taylor was still working on these chapters. Seriously, casual fans who don't bother to look at the credits (which is something they should change) likely won't be able to notice there's a new person working on the script. It may not have any laugh out loud moments or mind-blowing reveals just yet, but there's still just the right blend of humor, character, and gripping developments.

The Bad

As much as I enjoyed the issue, Superman and Wonder Woman's reunion kind of felt like a missed opportunity. I mean, I get why it was handled that way and there's only so much space in these chapters. It increased Kal-El's rage and Diana gave him a blunt reminder of the situation they're dealing with. It's effective, but it felt like there was room for more potential. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to have Clark question what he's doing -- especially after seeing people admire him in the dream and recalling what that's like -- and then have Diana steer him back on track or to offer something a little more substantial between them. After all they've been through and the strong reactions they had upon seeing each other incapacitated, it would have been appreciated to have a heavier conversation there and maybe even attempt to show us there's still some good in Clark. Again, what Buccellato did was effective and swiftly moves the narrative forward, but a little more would have been great. Not saying they should hug and get all emotional -- that would be out of character at this point -- but a little more weight to the conversation could have worked very well.

Minor art criticism: Superman isn't looking at Wonder Woman when he catches her punch and he's instead looking above and beyond her. It's a cool double-page spread but that makes it a little odd.

Personal gripe: First and foremost, I totally agree with the big fight's outcome. That said, I can't be the only one who would have loved to see Sinestro provide a little more of a challenge. He's supposed to be one of the greatest ring-slingers ever, after all. I know Diana's sporting some seriously impressive physicals and skill, but to see Thaal put his tactics to use would have been awesome. Part of me was surprised Billy didn't at least try to get involved, but maybe Ares was holding him back?

The Verdict

Taylor left the series with a whole lot of story arcs up in the air and Buccellato's doing a fine job juggling them. He's bringing some awesome fun (yes,"awesome fun" is what I'm going with) to the series while also racing some of the plot points forward. It's unclear when or how he'll get into some of the series' bigger mysteries, but for now, he's certainly keeping me entertained and has yet to disappoint. Welcome to INJUSTICE: BUCCELLATO AMONG US and it's thankfully looking like it has the potential to be just as good as what has come before it. He hasn't delivered any huge moments just yet, but there's still the right mix of heart, jaw-droppers and levity. Sure, this is a dark place that's full of death and terrible stuff is on the horizon, but he's doing a good job working in some lighter beats. Even something as silly as Hal looking like he wants to hit someone back is good fun and doesn't take away from the bigger situation. I'm curious if there will be any follow-up to this vicious fight. Will Sinestro hold a grudge and try to get in the way of Diana's ideas or has he basically been put in his place? I'm assuming the latter since there's already a gazillion arcs going on, but there's definitely some potential there.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone else said it seems like characters with a high enough level of Super Strength can basically run over even the toughest of Lanterns, and smash through anything they throw at them. Anyone agree?

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Love to issue.

Though i am surprised, Ares undid a spell Spectre couldn't?

Isn't Spectre meant to be a lot more powerful than Ares or Hera?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

@micah: Lanterns are pretty weak against heavy hitters.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like that takes away from the whole "most powerful weapon in the universe" deal. Gotta say loving the art though.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman & company are going to need to pull one out of their as*es from the looks of that last page.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love to issue.

Though i am surprised, Ares undid a spell Spectre couldn't?

Isn't Spectre meant to be a lot more powerful than Ares or Hera?

yea he is but i guess this new host for spectre limits him other than that plot i guess.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It used to be breaking a Lantern's construct was a big deal

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Lets see what kind of big twist they can pull off now.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

@micah: Most powerful weapon...until Kryptonians were discovered, lol.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, I mean, it's only limited by willpower, you'd think it would be impervious.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a beef with that double-page spread too which is Superman's posture and the indifference on his face as he intercepted Wonder Woman's punch. She's nothing next to him and they really have to rub it on your face.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Most powerful weapon...until Kryptonians were discovered, lol.

LOL so true.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@foamborn: Well he's a male after all. I know, though. Sigh. >_>.

No Caption Provided

McLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Isn't he still being powered by all the fear of the planet in this page? Maybe in another time period they're equal and it should matter more. But at that moment it was a whole other story.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Well he's a male after all. I know, though. Sigh. >_>.

It's true that women have 30% less upper body strength but Superman and Wonder Woman aren't human and they don't belong to the same species. However I understand why Superman has to be the strongest and the manliest and I accept it but this much stronger is too much stronger for my liking. It's almost like Superman can block her punches without looking and he didn't feel a thing. It's a pretty unequivocal display of authority on Superman's part lest we forget who's the boss of who.

Kestrelio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The problem with magic is it follows no rules or limitations. Supes being in an unshakeable magic coma felt important only for a second, then he awoke from it by magic. It's just such a weak plot device that exists to serve virtually any plot need. Really unsatisfying, but whatever. Otherwise, the last issues have been quite good.

TheDarkKnightz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheDarkKnightz

@kestrelio: I agree. I thought Superman would be dispatched for much longer than just three issues :( It was supposed to be "Emperor sleeps", not "Emperor naps".

Super jazzed for the next issue! Really not sure what to expect, besides the fact that Superman and his cronies will survive, and Batman will too. But surely Constantine and his gang won't fall that easily? Fingers crossed...

I'm still confused as to why Billy and Flash are following Superman. Throughout the earlier issues, they showed so much doubt about what they were doing. That issue where Flash was running across... Australia, I think it was? That was such a moving issue. I mean, I know that Flash is still with Superman in the game, but that issue made it seem like he wouldn't be such a blind devotee to Superman's cause. And Billy had doubts too, no? In the issue where he was interviewing different people, and nearly killed Black Adam? Yet here he is, blindly following Superman too :( And on that point... isn't Black Adam in the game too? I thought they took away his powers already, in year 1?

GRNASKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Done! The Emperor was supposed to sleep allowing Wonder Woman to shape his Empire which could have lead to a confrontation Batman could exploit in Year Four. The spell Supeman was under was supposed to be strong as implied in earlier issues was supposed to be so strong that a significant exchange was the only way to break the magic (as evidenced by Dianna Mother) but not for Aries, he does it off panel in between Diana choking Sinestro and Punching Sinestro. Not to mention how Overpowered Supermans team is now. I'll give it one more issue before I drop it like I did Infinite Crisis.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest grip with this was that Superman didn´t even stay asleep for one day. The spell was supossed to make him sleep long enough for Batman to have a plan.

GRNASKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: RIGHT!? The Emperor was supposed to sleep allowing Wonder Woman to shape his Empire which could have lead to a confrontation Batman could exploit in Year Four. The spell Supeman was under was supposed to be strong as implied in earlier issues was supposed to be so strong that a significant exchange was the only way to break the magic (as evidenced by Dianna Mother) but not for Aries, he does it off panel in between Diana choking Sinestro and Punching Sinestro. Not to mention how Overpowered Supermans team is now. I'll give it one more issue before I drop it like I did Infinite Crisis.

GRNASKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Since I can remember Wonder Womans powers have fluctuated. She began being just as a skilled Warrior (Batman with Magic Wristbands and an Invisible Jet) Now she's bulletproof, doesn't need the bands, can fly and is as strong as Superman (read Superman/Wonder Woman). Superman is supposed to be the top dog, has been, will always be, being stronger than Wonder Woman should come as no surprise and besides until that moment she thought he was sleep. had she know who was behind her she might have swung with enough power to do some damage. She was just giving Sinestro's a beating which could have lead to death but not trying to take his head off with one punch.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zackisme
    HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can't wait to read this.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

This sounds rather disappointing, Superman is back up after not even an issue of staying down (not counting the pointless 2 issues in his dreamworld).

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batfail of year.
    To deal with daemon to put Superman to sleep and to left him on Earth so he could be awakened in any moment.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

Batfail of year.

To deal with daemon to put Superman to sleep and to left him on Earth so he could be awakened in any moment.

I was a little confused about that myself. You just leave him there!?!? To be found by his cronies, who we've established, also have some supernatural/magic on their side??

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoamBorn

@grnaskd said:

@foamborn: Since I can remember Wonder Womans powers have fluctuated. She began being just as a skilled Warrior (Batman with Magic Wristbands and an Invisible Jet) Now she's bulletproof, doesn't need the bands, can fly and is as strong as Superman (read Superman/Wonder Woman). Superman is supposed to be the top dog, has been, will always be, being stronger than Wonder Woman should come as no surprise and besides until that moment she thought he was sleep. had she know who was behind her she might have swung with enough power to do some damage. She was just giving Sinestro's a beating which could have lead to death but not trying to take his head off with one punch.

I was by no means surprised, I was just voicing my dissatisfaction with the enormous gap that seems to exist between them. I don't think Wonder Woman was holding back, the new 52 Wonder Woman has no restraint, she's probably just not strong enough to take his head off. In her inception Wonder Woman was actually as strong as Superman which was only strong enough to lift an automobile, also she's not bulletproof.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

I feel like that takes away from the whole "most powerful weapon in the universe" deal. Gotta say loving the art though.

they throw that term around a lot. It annoys me. I am pretty sure the same thing was said about the scarabs too at one point.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By HolySerpent

This sounds rather disappointing, Superman is back up after not even an issue of staying down (not counting the pointless 2 issues in his dreamworld).

i was really hoping to see how wonder woman was going to lead. but it was still a decent issue

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

they throw that term around a lot. It annoys me. I am pretty sure the same thing was said about the scarabs too at one point.

Same here. Goodness remember when the Scarabs were a threat? Or relevant for that matter :(

GRNASKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GRNASKD
    No Caption Provided

@foamborn: As I mentioned Wonder Woman's powers fluctuating over the years, it looks like the creators today cant decide just how powerful to make Superman. In Superman/Wonder Woman he was able to survive a Atomic Blast while Diana had to be wrapped in his cape to survive. I understand it's not easy to write for Superman but I just ask for one constant, make him the best, otherwise he just "Kind of" Superman, especially if others in the League can outperform his individual abilities. Oh and Somewhere in the beginning of Injustice, I think Year two Wonder Woman was shown to be bulletproof. There is a round bouncing off her head.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grnaskd said:
    No Caption Provided

@foamborn: As I mentioned Wonder Woman's powers fluctuating over the years, it looks like the creators today cant decide just how powerful to make Superman. In Superman/Wonder Woman he was able to survive a Atomic Blast while Diana had to be wrapped in his cape to survive. I understand it's not easy to write for Superman but I just ask for one constant, make him the best, otherwise he just "Kind of" Superman, especially if others in the League can outperform his individual abilities. Oh and Somewhere in the beginning of Injustice, I think Year two Wonder Woman was shown to be bulletproof. There is a round bouncing off her head.

She's not bulletproof in the main continuity, her flesh can be cut. However she's usually extremely resistant to great amounts of concussive force, explosions and things like that.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro got his butt whooped.That's not the Sinestro I know.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85 said:

i was really hoping to see how wonder woman was going to lead. but it was still a decent issue

Same... and that ending... I dont know if this is Tom's leftovers to Bootch's desire to move on to his own ideas, but someone just popping out of thin air going "I found them." when noone on that side appeared to have even started looking, thats just weak.

GRNASKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent said:

@outside_85 said:

Same... and that ending... I dont know if this is Tom's leftovers to Bootch's desire to move on to his own ideas, but someone just popping out of thin air going "I found them." when noone on that side appeared to have even started looking, thats just weak.

RIGHT?! Out of nowhere Superman is awoken by Aries, and what about this "price" that Diana's Mom had to pay to wake her up? Superman just gets a freebie? Wonder Woman is robbed of her run; I was hoping to see her make radical changes to Superman Empire that once Superman woke (Year 4 not 3 issues later) would cause tension between the two that Batman could exploit. We may never get to see Constantine's Daughter's potential. The Green (Swamp Thing) was supposed to rise, that may be swept under the rug now. Looks I Ravens Dad is going to show up to do some damage but he should be on Raven/Superman's side, if that happens the already overpowered team of Superman's is going to be unstoppable. I'll give it Injustice one more issue but if we get another disappointing week, I'll save my .99 and find it for free somewhere online.

Avatar image for ultimatehulk10000
    ultimatehulk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what i dont get is that if diana's lasso can get the truth out of anyone, then what is the point of beating sinestro to get answers out of him?

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series has been awesome, when is the next one out ?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Bezza

Green Lanterns have definitely been downgraded in recent New 52 stories and this universe it seems. Its a far cry from the early 90s when the likes of Kyle Raynor were a match for anyone, Superman included.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.