k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

The past few issues have been packed with crazy action. From Superman slaughtering Parademons and smacking around Kalibak to Batman's rebellion beating up cultists, its pages have been filled with plenty of exciting brawls. Despite being based on a fighting game, it's not the super-powered punches or immense blasts of heat vision which makes INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US special. It's appreciated, sure, but what makes this book truly standout from the rest is the drastic change in character relationships and the massive weight of the moral dilemmas these characters are facing on a daily basis. The 26th chapter let's the dust settle from all of the physical conflict we've seen over the last couple of issues and puts a strong focus on a few key characters and where they want to go from here.

While some on the right found Catwoman's political stance in a previous issue to be a bit too polarizing, I'm sure the same will apply here when it comes to Superman's chat with Flash. Clark has successfully protected mankind from an outside invasion, but now he feels the need to focus on protecting humanity from itself. To him, the first order of business is guns. Kal-El realizes he and Flash could remove most of the world's guns in well under a week, but his super-speeding ally points out it'll come at a cost: many will resent him for it. What comes next is a solid example of the character Clark is becoming. He has a "for the greater good" mentality, and he doesn't care what the consequences will be as long as it saves lives in the end. It's a terrific insight into the change writer Tom Taylor is implementing with these characters and the gradual changes they undergo.

While the weight of the subject they're chatting about is quite heavy, Taylor balances this by having them discuss the matter while playing super-speed chess. It's a nice touch of levity thrown on to a sharp yet powerful scene. Taylor diving deep into the characters holds particularly true in the book's other big scene: Lex Luthor creating kryptonian pills while chatting with the Kents in the Fortress of Solitude. Taylor does a topnotch job reminding us why we're seeing such a drastically different version of Superman and does an able job laying the groundwork for Lex's eventual decision to switch sides.

The Bad

The debate between Flash and Superman is superb and I totally understand the significance behind everything going on (especially how the scene with the Kents/Luthor connects to it), but I wish Clark put up more of a defense when it came to his latest proposal. Once again, I understand Taylor is working with very limited space due to this being a $0.99 weekly comic and it definitely was a strong scene, but I'd really like to see a reminder that despite being strongly impacted by so many terrible events, Clark does indeed still have a gifted mind.

The Verdict

A fighting game's story with a chapter that can thrive without action of any kind? Such a thought is madness, right? Well, this issue proves otherwise. INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US may revolve around one savage event and how it changes everything, but this issue proves the book can thrive and remain gripping without even the lightest amount of physical conflict. Taylor continues to show he has a respectable understanding of these characters and can always be counted on to produce thoroughly entertaining plot progression and dialogue. INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US delivers yet again.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I was eagerly awaiting this review after reading this Super issue and i agree the ending was a pretty major cliffhanger,really wanted to know superman's response. But i Loved this issue!this series just gets better every week. Tom Taylor can Write!! judging from this book i think he's perfect to follow James on Earth 2

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CODYSF

Barry put Supse on check.

mcclellanscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loved the issue, agree with the review. Didn't mind the Superman/Flash debate because it was plot driven and an actual debate with different points of view equally weighed. The Catwoman dialogue was heavy-handed, one-sided sermonizing. Well done Tom Taylor. I too am looking forward to his run on Earth 2.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing i hate about this series is how much i love it even when i know how it will end!

In Tom Taylor i trust to take over Earth 2

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the issue. It's good to see that the comic isn't all about brawls and action, and actually grasps all the elements that should be in the story of it.

In the previous issue, I wish Batman and Supes had an actual conversation talking about what's right to do. The standoff was, MEH!

I agree with the review :)

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MuyJingo

This was good, although I found it surprising they went this route. I was expecting Barry to be convinced, or side with Superman.

Having him seemingly convince Superman that the route he is taking is indeed a slippery slope, means there is still a while to go before Clark is the evil dictator we know and love.

Which means further well thought out character development. So, yay.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a powerful issue

Jpgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jpgman

I love, love this series and this issue only reafirms that love.

Avatar image for leatherwings2289
    Leatherwings2289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Leatherwings2289

Just finished reading it. It's amazing. Can't wait till Tom Taylor takes over Earth 2. Despite all the contrary reviews on this site Earth 2 is shit.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

THIS. WAS. SO. GOOOOOOOOD!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    Osquip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may actually the first issue I didn't like.

First of all, starting a gun law debate was an act of opening a major-ass can of worms.

Second, Flashs arguments were invalid: cigarettes, drugs, greasy food, fast cars etc. are NOT the same as weapons. With most of it people may only kill themselves (and not necessarily), and as such they must be allowed for every man has the freedom to do what he wants as long as he doesn't harm others. With some, like cars, deaths are just accidents, failure in the invention that can be corrected. Weapons are designed to kill, to harm, to maim OTHER people. Not the same.
    Check mate Flash.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alak

@osquip said:

This may actually the first issue I didn't like.

First of all, starting a gun law debate was an act of opening a major-ass can of worms.

Second, Flashs arguments were invalid: cigarettes, drugs, greasy food, fast cars etc. are NOT the same as weapons. With most of it people may only kill themselves (and not necessarily), and as such they must be allowed for every man has the freedom to do what he wants as long as he doesn't harm others. With some, like cars, deaths are just accidents, failure in the invention that can be corrected. Weapons are designed to kill, to harm, to maim OTHER people. Not the same.

Check mate Flash.

That doesn't make Flash's argument invalid. He's not arguing about weapons, he's arguing about behavior that endangers the lives of human beings. That includes self-destructive behavior. The whole point about bringing those things up is to show Superman just how trivial things can get if they should choose to do everything they can to ensure the survival of the human race. You can stop metahumans, but there will still be common criminals around to hurt people. You can stop common criminals from hurting people, but that won't stop people from hurting themselves. By trying to eliminate every single hazard in society, Superman would eventually create a totalitarian government.

That was Flash's point.

Osquip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak: Point taken, but I'm still on the Sups side. Yes, you can't take away all the evil men do, but if you take away the greatest part, and that counts a lot. I'd feel better in a world without weapons of mass destruction and heavy war machinery. We can argue about if people should own handguns for protection, but no one can convince me that we actually need nuclear weapons, tanks, fighter jets etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.