Infinity #1

• 89 results
Posted by G-Man (32415 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Most people seem to have similar feelings towards events in comics. Regardless, they do sell and people do read them. Marvel knows this and the very first page makes it clear this is "A Marvel Comics Event." With this issue featuring Jonathan Hickman, Jim Cheung and Thanos on the cover, I dare you to resist checking it out.

The great thing is, this isn't your typical event. If you've been checking out Hickman's AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS, this almost feels like a natural progression rather than a sudden event that brings all the characters together. This is something that Marvel has been leading up to. That's one thing that makes this feel different from past events. There's also the fact that this is a more galactic story and even though AvX involved the Phoenix Force, it's almost as if you can't compare these two events.

This massive comic begins with the INFINITY Free Comic Book Day issue for those that might have missed it. Also drawn by Jim Cheung, it seamlessly flows right into the main story. Speaking of Cheung's art, it has to be mentioned that he knows how to draw fearsome alien races. Often in comics, alien species appear too artificial and sometimes comical. The look can also be attributed to Justin Ponsor's colors and Mark Morales' inks in the opening section.

If you haven't been keeping up with the AVENGERS titles, there is a convenient scorecard informing you who the main players are and what affiliation they have. This is helpful with the different alien races and the fact that there are a lot of characters that will be involved here.

Other events try to have a big feel to them. INFINITY simply is big. You can feel an epic story in the making. We just need to sit back and watch it unfold.

The Bad

New readers can make their way through this issue but there will be a slight sense of confusion if you haven't been reading Hickman's AVENGERS titles. Parts of the issue are divided into separate sections and you almost feel like you're being thrown around from scene to scene, trying to figure out what is going on. You barely get a chance to see what's going on but you will have a sense of awe at the same time which does lessen the confusion. But some readers might feel as if they walked into a movie theater, having missed the first couple minutes. It almost feels like too much is being set up here.

We also see the return of the Builders, first introduced in Hickman's AVENGERS. They weren't characters I was too crazy about as we've seen so many different characters and species that were determined to evolve other species.

It may be unfair to this 'event' but knowing there's already another brewing after this makes it a tiny bit hard to swallow.

The Verdict

Whether you love events or are trying to avoid them, there's no denying the grand scope Marvel, Jonathan Hickman and Jim Cheung have established with the very first issue of INFINITY. Hickman has been building this story in recent issues of AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS and this is where it all bubbles to the surface. Reading those are not crucial but will help a good deal.

For those in fear of "another event," the good news is this makes it feel worthy. There is a lot going on. Perhaps too much but you will feel satisfied after laying out your dollars for this comic. There's some huge things coming to the heroes in the Marvel Universe. With a battle on different fronts, it's going to be fun seeing the Avengers fight one threat while a certain other individual takes advantage of their absence. If we have to have events, this is how I want it to play out. There is a grand feel to the story and you'll feel yourself staring at each page in awe over what transpires. Too often comic book events are hyped up and fizzle out but INFINITY delivers in the first issue. You'll definitely want to come on board for INFINITY. It's going to be a crazy and thrilling ride.

Staff
#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad to hear issue 1 is good cause I've been looking forward to this event all year

#2 Posted by Daredevilnut (106 posts) - - Show Bio

So exitced

#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (41107 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hyped!

#4 Posted by Mucklefluga (2548 posts) - - Show Bio

Naaaa ill pass.

#5 Posted by Oscars94 (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinity will be awesome! All of the Alien races in the Universe joining together to fight the Builders? I'm in!

#7 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (973 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel you have failed me one two events out of the three I've read....but I believe you can fix that with this one.

#8 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait

#9 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (973 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait....Is there ANOTHER event already planned after this?!?!

#10 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman has never failed me yet.

#11 Edited by BishopSummers (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been loving what Hickman has been doing in Avengers. I can't wait to check this out.

#12 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1229 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by patrat18 (9566 posts) - - Show Bio

heyesss

#14 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad it's only six issues, Age of Ultron and Avengers vs. X-Men were too long.

#15 Edited by Zoch81 (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome can't wait check it out

#16 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5381 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be great.

#17 Posted by NYSMUSCLE (31 posts) - - Show Bio

looks really good cant wait

#18 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

To me Hickman is like Morrison without any of the fun and spirit that Grant Morrison brings I'm just not a big fan of Hickman's writing it's just so confusing.

#19 Posted by TheBlackHood (320 posts) - - Show Bio

To me Hickman is like Morrison without any of the fun and spirit that Grant Morrison brings I'm just not a big fan of Hickman's writing it's just so confusing.

Whereas I feel like Hickman is a much better writer than Morrison because he isn't as full of himself. Morrison always seems to be winking at himself for being so clever for finding stupid crap in his 70's comic collection.

#20 Posted by Cap10nate (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited about this.

I don't mind frequent events since it is a big universe where a lot of stuff happens. I mind events that are also poor stories.

#21 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to see Thanos kill people.

#22 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@theblackhood: But with both of them I don't understand the story until the end of there run's and then I re read them and then they make sense and there amazing but with Morrison I can enjoy the ride because of all the fun and winking that he brings with Hickman I'm just confused and not having fun besides some really good dialogue here and there also I like Morrison more because his writing is very spiritual and optimistic while Hickman is very which scientific and cynical in his writing.

#23 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8070 posts) - - Show Bio

Lack of Bendis makes me hopeful

#24 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8070 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait....Is there ANOTHER event already planned after this?!?!

Yah something to do with Inhumans

#25 Posted by windcaster (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf: Hickman said Infinity marks the end of act one during his three year run in Avengers.

#26 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5520 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Supreme_Maj (286 posts) - - Show Bio

At last after all his plots now we are going for the harvesting and to see again how great Hickman is. I am excited !!

#28 Posted by ThanosofAtlanta (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Will wait until its collected in paperback. Marvel swears that we are all just made of disposable cash and live in the basement of our parents surrounded by statues and long boxes. Some of my favorite artists are on this book. I have already cut a lot of titles from Marvel and since I am not an avid follower of the Hickman Avengers run, then I don't see the need. I will follow Battle of the Atom.

#29 Posted by Boogiepop (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even going to read this. The last several events like Fear Itself, AvX, and Age of Ultron have been such terrible wastes of money, that I'm skipping this. Only way to make Marvel stop with the bad events every few weeks is by not buying, so that's what I'm going to do.

#30 Edited by BIGALWILLIAMS (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Amped for this damn event. I've been dying for this series to come out!

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33026 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man I dare you to resist checking it out.

#32 Posted by Kerrigan (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be more excited if Hickman hadn't done such a dreary job with the Avengers, but being a Marvel fan I'll check it out.

I do believe Hickman is one of the more overrated comics writers out there at the moment, however.

#33 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by BritishMonkey (323 posts) - - Show Bio

I shall get the TPB. Easier collection.

#35 Posted by kid Apollo (712 posts) - - Show Bio

looking forward to this soo much. ive been diggin everything avengers so far

#36 Posted by Killemall (18536 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf: The next one is called "Beyond"

Thats a shame, we already have a pretty crapy story arc called Beyond where Strange pretends to be Beyonder against few Earth heroes.

Also i recall Brevroot saying the next big event after Infinity was called Inhumanity, but i am guessing Beyond is likely the next event Hickman talked about, coz he mentioned his run consists of 3 cross-over events steaming from Avengers, with Infinity being the first.

#37 Posted by SupaMalaman (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol The next event isn't called Beyond...Please realize he was joking.

#38 Posted by GrandHarrier (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't it true that the book has like 7+ "white" pages with no images?

#39 Posted by hufnagel0 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol The next event isn't called Beyond...Please realize he was joking.

I'm dyin over here. I heard Beyond is gonna take place on this alien planet. I think it's called Planet Pizza. They're introducing a new big bad too, his name is.... The Claw!

#40 Posted by The Stegman (23931 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, don't like Hickman's Avengers, so I'm not really excited for this.

#41 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

K lame how we know it will lead into another "event" called Inhumanity based on Terrigen Mist being spread over the world. And that isn't even news they have been talking about it for weeks. Same with Trinity War, it's not even over and they've already spoiled it with details about their event "Forever Evil" and the Crime Syndicate reveal. PUBLISHERS, STOPPING SPOILING THINGS!

#43 Edited by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Blue_Strike (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I would pick up the first issue to see what is up.

#45 Edited by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'll see. But I'm really not liking the Avengers for making Ex Ninhilo a member. Dude killed millions and shows no remorse!

#46 Posted by Emperormeister734 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS IS GONNA BE FUN!

#47 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'll sit this event out. I'm event fatigued but go Infinity, I hope it not only sells well but it's good as well.

#48 Edited by CaptainHoopla (986 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprisingly looking forward to this. Everything I've read says it will tie everything together from Avengers and New Avengers. Having said that, I still don't know why the whole event can't just take place within the pages of Avengers and New Avengers. Why have the separate Infinity titles as well? Yes, I know, it's about selling more books to make more money. It's just gotten to the point of being tired and irritating. I'm on board for this, but if it fizzles and flops, I will likely drop all team books that breed these events. Be careful publishers, making more money now may cost you even more later. But then again, what the heck do I know?

#49 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7531 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's good, but I was disappointed with Age of Ultron and that was the first event I'd picked up since Civil War. It wasn't bad, just, not good. So I'll sideline this one and if it's good I'll get the trade volume.

Overall I hope it is good and does well though.

#50 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6637 posts) - - Show Bio

PASS!!! Screw Marvel events.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.