Follow

Infinity

Story arc »

While the Avengers join forces with a cosmic armada to repel the Builders, Thanos takes advantage of their absence to lay siege to Earth.

Infinity #3

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Jonathan Hickman now has so much momentum, I think he may have uncovered the Crimson Gem of Cyttoraak. Just when I worry an issue of Infinity is going to lean to heavily on its two main side titles (Avengers and New Avengers), another issue comes out and stands beautifully on its own, while still gaining context from the other two titles. This book picks up just before the very end of Avengers #19, but does a great job of recapping the major event at the end of that issue, moving this issue into perfect alignment without baffling or taking too much time. Suffice it to say: a failed entreaty for basic sanity has backfired in the most catastrophic way possible and the Galactic Council is now more on the ropes than they've ever been. But the Builders, and a few Council members, seem to have forgotten that if you look under "give up" in Captain America's lexicon, you'll find a massive blank. Cap has a plan and he's not the only one as Thanos continues to barter with Black Bolt for the one thing he has that has kept the Inhumans from being utterly decimated by the Cull Obsidian.

Jerome Opeña is keeping things grim and jagged, but in ways that serve the story and the tone amazingly. This may be a cosmic tale, but it's about the people at the center of it and seeing both the grandiose and the intimate portrayed with equal deftness and skill is a rare trait for any comic, let alone one that takes place on such a sweeping scale. Dustin Weaver lends his talent to the issue as well, though I actually have something of a difficult time separating where one ends and the other begins, which I hope doesn't sound insulting as Justin Ponsor's colors are consistently excellent throughout the book. The two styles merge and segue very, very well, so the pace and tone of the book remains completely consistent throughout.

The Bad

A major revelation from Avengers #19 is teased, even acknowledged, but nothing is done and it has to do with easily the most significant event in the book (the one at the very beginning) and even has to do with loyalties and motivations of one of the most influential members of the Council. It's all brushed aside somewhat casually for expediency's sake without anyone even asking any follow-up. It's not a HUGE departure, and they definitely make reference to dealing with it later, but it seems like it's a potentially dire situation that's on the back burner.

The Verdict

One of the things that bothers me about a lot of large-scale superhero events (and something that actually crosses into other genres as well) is when a story is nothing but failure and hopelessness on the parts of the heroes until suddenly, miraculously even, everything turns on either a deus ex machina or for even flimsier reasons, and that's not what we're getting in this series. We're only halfway through the main series, but this issue represents a big tonal shift, and while everything is far from solved, there's definitely a glimmer of hope. This is a book that seamlessly mixes its action and its exposition/dialog and an issue that feels much, much longer than it actually is, and I mean that in the most positive way I can. There's so much amazing content crammed into these pages that this feels like it should be oversized, but it's not, and that reason alone is enough to pick up Infinity. Second printings of earlier issues are beginning, so this is a great time to catch up if you were worried about ANOTHER major Marvel event this year.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did Star-Lord's father come back to life anyway? I didn't read the Guardians series before this one, did he come back then or was it a Marvel NOW thing?

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@undeadpool: So is it necessary to read the previous two Avenger's issues? I only followed New Avengers so far.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Should I pick this up?

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this tale so hard. Even more happy to hear Opena does the whole issue. Opena is BIG TIME comic art. He makes stories that much better. It's easily one of the reasons that Dark Angel Saga was what it was. He made it epic. I can only imagine what what the end of Remembers X-Force run tale would have been like if Opena was the artist. The story was great, but the art was weak as hell. Still. This event is good so far because it the into it was okay. Events suck now, and one reason is because nothing leads into it the way it should. Battle for the Atom is fun, but where it's going no one knows. It was fun getting there, but I think if the original X-Men go back now, it'll be to soon. It's like they just got here.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By cameron83

Loving this tale so hard. Even more happy to hear Opena does the whole issue. Opena is BIG TIME comic art. He makes stories that much better. It's easily one of the reasons that Dark Angel Saga was what it was. He made it epic. I can only imagine what what the end of Remembers X-Force run tale would have been like if Opena was the artist. The story was great, but the art was weak as hell. Still. This event is good so far because it the into it was okay. Events suck now, and one reason is because nothing leads into it the way it should. Battle for the Atom is fun, but where it's going no one knows. It was fun getting there, but I think if the original X-Men go back now, it'll be to soon. It's like they just got here.

I agree.

Battle of the Atom is good so far...it looks like it's actually going somewhere...

But Infinity is just.....well,lately events from the big 2 have been (in my opinion) pretty mediocre (at best). But Infinity is like a rebound for Marvel. It's amazing so far. It's more than a rebound,it's more like a comeback for events.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@jamdamage said:

I agree.

Battle of the Atom is good so far...it looks like it's actually going somewhere...

But Infinity is just.....well,lately events from the big 2 have been (in my opinion) pretty mediocre (at best). But Infinity is like a rebound for Marvel. It's amazing so far. It's more than a rebound,it's more like a comeback for events.

The power of Hickman.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83 said:

@jamdamage said:

I agree.

The power of Hickman.

It's a force not to be reckoned with.

It's an awesome force.

And I must admit,some things from (Bendis,I believe) have been awful...in fact,many things have.

But this year with many of the new Marvel NOW! titles,I must say most of his work has been terrific. Almost like him making a comeback or proving his title as a popular comic book writer.

I mean,many things have been bad,but this year a LOT of great titles under his name have been made.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Infinity is dominating! Hickman is hitting on all notes.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity is dominating! Hickman is hitting on all notes.

I agree.

Best event in years (so far,at least).

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying this series so far, Can't wait to read it.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RageEx2

I feel like this event will be a classic in the future

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Infinity, psh.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to get this tomorrow.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: It HELPS, but it isn't NECESSARY. This issue recaps the events nicely, so it stands alone very well.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember a time where everyone said that this event would suck and I was called a fool to say Nay to them non believers.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot express how much I'm loving this event. I. Just. Cannot.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I go back and read the rest of Hickman's Avenger's run before trying to continue this? I read the first two issues but could not get into it. I'm wondering if I'm just missing out on some needed context for the builders and some of the characters I don't recognize.

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gritterr

@theblackhood: Yeah you should. Unlike most events this one has been building throughout Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers. I think the build up is part of why this event is looking to be a classic when all is said and done. I give you credit for even attempting to jump in without being caught up.

There are also multiple videos on youtube that were made to catch people up on everything they would need to know entering Infinity

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Everything is 100% critical to this. Read it all.

What an amazing series this is. I'm on edge.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of all the current big events (yes, I know Forever Evil is only 1 issue in), this is my favorite.

@jwalser3: If you want an event on a grand scale with a lot going, in my opinion, yes. It's much better than that crap Age of Ultron which I gave up on.

One question I have is, does this issue come before or after New Avengers 10? The little map didn't explain it very well. I though NA came before this one

Avatar image for theimmortalbeaver
    TheImmortalBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue, but I'm kinda pissed at how much I'm missing out on from the other series. I made no plans to pick them up, and now I don't have any money for them. I feel like I'm spending most of the issue just admiring the pretty artwork before trying to figure out what's actually happening.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I F'NG LOVE THIS BOOK!! Starbrand= fist pump!!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One question I have is, does this issue come before or after New Avengers 10? The little map didn't explain it very well. I though NA came before this one

New Avengers 10 is first. Here is the issue map

No Caption Provided

Damian_Arrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the wait for the next installment is killing me. the whole thing is just exciting.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

loved this book. J-son can die a horrible death now. pretty please.

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did no think I'd be enjoying this event as much as i am. It's so epic in scale and the art is just incredible. Although I do feel like reading Avengers and New Avengers should be required to get the whole experience

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't really like Infinity that much so far, but I liked this issue a lot! Black Bolt is amazing

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BLACKBOLT IS A BAMF IN THIS ISSUE!

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rageex2 said:

BLACKBOLT IS A BAMF IN THIS ISSUE!

That NOOOOOOOOOO! though.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epic.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The two things I loved most about this issue... Cap being Cap and showing these alien races what it means to be a hero from earth. The second is the use of Blackbolt in this event. They way he is being used makes me want more of Blackbolt. I'm now looking to reading some of the previous Inhuman series.

dscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

. I'm now looking to reading some of the previous Inhuman series.

Same here, I've got the inhumans trade that just came out(well new trade but a reprint of the 90's issues) on the way and after this issue im incredibly excited for it

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dscythe said:

@humanrocket said:

. I'm now looking to reading some of the previous Inhuman series.

Same here, I've got the inhumans trade that just came out(well new trade but a reprint of the 90's issues) on the way and after this issue im incredibly excited for it

Sweet dude! hope i can find something at my local shop :)

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah this was another great installment. Great event so far. Easily better than all the ones in the past few years.

Ciriaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only echo what others have said, it really is a great event, and I'm really enjoying it! I'm not sure though on how Thanos is portrayed; now it's more power and brawl and I'm afraid that his intelligence and strategic mastery will be downplayed. Not wanting to spoil the latest issue, but I wouldn't call his confrontation at the end of the issue as particularly wise. ;)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

When did Star-Lord's father come back to life anyway? I didn't read the Guardians series before this one, did he come back then or was it a Marvel NOW thing?

Marvel NOW thing. He's just back now and Star-Lord has the element gun but it's different and eh it's like a fusion of the old Star-Lord and the 2008 GotG Star-Lord with added daddy issues.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TommyJones1945

Pretty cool review and revelations.

CIN

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wished this event focused more on the Thanos and Illuminati parts.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

....why the hell did the builders suddenly change their minds out of nowhere? Is it just me or was it merely an issue ago that they wanted to kill all lesser beings?....I'm a Hickman fan but that is weak sauce.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.