Is Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet Universal or Multiversal?

#1 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

So which is he?

Also. If Thanos with the IG is Universal does that mean beings who are Mutiversal,or Have Omniversal feats are above Thanos with the IG?

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7067 posts) - - Show Bio

It's universal. I remember reading in Fantastic Four that the Infinity Gauntlet only works in the universe it was created in.

#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

It's universal. I remember reading in Fantastic Four that the Infinity Gauntlet only works in the universe it was created in.

This is correct. With the IG (used properly) you basically become the new Eternity.

#4 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Would it be on par with Multi-Eternity?(Multiversal Eternity Basically)

#5 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Multi-Eternity? Eternity is universal. Each universe in the multiverse has it's own Eternity. With the IG, you could replace Eternity (though technically, you should be able to replace the other abstracts of that universe as well, such as Death, Infinity and Oblivion).

#6 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: This is Multi-Eternity

#7 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Not familiar with the issue, but it looks to me they are simply showing what I stated, that there are multiple Eternitys, one for each universe, creating a multiverse. There is no real difference from one Eternity to the next.

For example, each universe has a Reed Richards, but they are only slightly similar, if at all. Eternity is Eternity, only in a different universe.

I'd have to read the issue to see the rest of the context though. Do you know where that came from?

#8 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

Universal. A lot of people like to blow him out of proportion and call him "multiversal," but he's never done anything to suggest that he is.

#9 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Maybe but the way they say "A Muti-Eternity would ensure a boundless Mutiverse" make sit seem like Multi-Eternity is a being.

#10 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: It would be redundant if there was a Multi-Eternity, but I won't put anything passed some writers. Do you know where that scan is from?

Anyway, if there was a Multi-Eternity, it would be multiversal, and should be able to defeat anyone with an Infinity Gauntlet. It might cost a universe, but no biggie.

#11 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Do you lock bad battle threads?

#12 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: If you tell me where that scan is from I do.

#13 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Hyperlight (5378 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@jloneblackheart: Maybe but the way they say "A Muti-Eternity would ensure a boundless Mutiverse" make sit seem like Multi-Eternity is a being.

multi eternity isnt a new concept. its probably common sense that he would have representatives of himself in different universe but it an entity that spans the multiverse

#15 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1493 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@jloneblackheart: I found out where the scan is from.

Fantastic Four Annual #31

I just dug it out. Looks like a one shot character to confuse us and complicate the cosmic order. Why we don't see him instead of the Living Tribunal is confusing, probably because he's a one shot character and no one realizes he exists. It seems like to me he is the "source" Eternity to ensure the existence of a multitude of other universes.

But like I said before, he should be multiversal and thus be more powerful than the IG. That much seems clear

#17 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@jloneblackheart: I found out where the scan is from.

Fantastic Four Annual #31

I just dug it out. Looks like a one shot character to confuse us and complicate the cosmic order. Why we don't see him instead of the Living Tribunal is confusing, probably because he's a one shot character and no one realizes he exists. It seems like to me he is the "source" Eternity to ensure the existence of a multitude of other universes.

But like I said before, he should be multiversal and thus be more powerful than the IG. That much seems clear

And, it's Jeph Loeb, so there you go...

#18 Posted by logy5000 (5635 posts) - - Show Bio

Multi-universal.

#19 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Multiversal as in the sense of beating out multiple universes not in the legit sense of Marvel Multiver-Megaverse-Omniverse.

He enslaved Eternity and the cosmic compass but can he beat Pheonix or himself with the HOTU? No.

#20 Posted by budonkadonk (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought somewhere in Thanos Quest that Thanos said the gems had control over the multiverse. After that, we flash forward 15 years or so, and then the FF stories show that there's one per universe that can only be used in its own universe.

When did they actually decide that it would only be for one universe?

#21 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading the current new avengers run and it clearly states that an infinity gauntlet and its stones will only work in its respective universe.

#22 Posted by lol (3907 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends of the version, current is universal classic is much more

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.