What Are The Secrets Of The Indigo Tribe?

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the Lantern organizations in the DC Universe, the Indigo Tribe is the one we know the least about. Recently, the group took center stage during the "War of the Green Lanterns" story arc when the Indigo Tribe leader -- Indigo-1 -- lost control of her ring and her powers were temporarily passed onto Green Lantern John Stewart.

Now the tribe will once again be coming front and center starting with issue #7 of Green Lantern. The issue will launch a whole new ongoing story that will delve into the identities and the "secrets" behind the Indigo tribe. This is big news for Green Lantern fans who have wondered how the Indigo Tribe first came into existence.

== TEASER ==

We may not know much about Indigo-1, also known as Iroque, prior to her Indigo Tribe days, except that she had at one time been imprisoned in the Book of the Black by Krona and was awaiting judgement by Abin Sur. But why? Why was she imprisoned? The panels that revealed this part of her history depicted her in a violent rage, physically fighting Sinestro in an effort to break free. Was it fear that drove her to the edge? Like Sinestro says, for a Lantern who is supposed to be completely overcome by compassion, Indigo-1 certainly is not. Check out the image below of the scene which can be found in issue #66 of Green Lantern.

What could it all mean? What is the Indigo Tribe's connection to Abin Sur? Looking also at the Indigo Tribe's oath, you might notice Abin Sur's name.

“Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur,Natromo faan tornek wot ur.Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,Taan lek lek nok–Formorrow Sur!”-Oath of the Indigo Tribe

Perhaps the definition of the Oath will appear in the upcoming issue of Green Lantern #7 written by Geoff Johns with art from Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy. In the issue, Hal Jordan and Sinestro will venture to the Indigo Tribe's homeland to uncover the truths behind some heinous crime." Could that "heinous crime" have something to do with Indigo-1's imprisonment? Methinks yes!

Have you been keeping up with the Green Lantern series? Are you looking forward to the 7th issue and the truth behind the Indigo Tribe? You can check out the next issue of Green Lantern (issue #4) in stores on December 14th, 2011. Expect to see Green Lantern #7 sometime in March.

Source: DC Source

#1 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome can't wait!! The Indigo tribe has remained mysterious for a while now, it'll be great to finally learn more about them and exactly what they stand for!

#2 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

First Captain Marvel in Justice League, then Steel in Action Comics and now the Indigo Tribe in Green Lantern. Damn do we have things to look forward too! :D

#3 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweetsauce.

#4 Posted by KEROGA (972 posts) - - Show Bio

abin sur? and the plot thickens

#5 Posted by AmishAvenger (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Nok

#6 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Black Hand will still be part of The Indigo Tribe.

#7 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that someone decoded the oath.

#8 Posted by HunterGP02 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

TOTAL SPOILER ALERT should be in the headline. I now know that Hal did not die at the end of #3

#9 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Argh. I used the reboot to jump into the Lantern comics. Green Lantern is not that new user friendly. I feel like I am missing a lot of backstory. For example, I never even knew there was a Mystery of the Indigo Tribe.

#10 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

that means we are going to see black hand! we havent seen him since the end of blackest night! not to mention, it is pretty darn obvious the indigo tribe are prisoners! i mean, they are all bound in chains and shackles! how free are they? the indigo tribe are prisoners!

#11 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Hand was shown in the Brightest Day Banner issues of Green Lantern. Those were the issues before War of the Green Lantern where Hal and the Rainbow warriors were looking for the Entities. Black Hand was a prisoner of the Indigo Tribe. The ring forces compassion on those who don't have any. However, those already with compassion have free will (Ray Palmer in Blackest Night).

New readers won't know any of this but the issues starting at #7 should help them catch up if written well. The mystery will be revealed to all (new, old and lapsed readers)

#12 Posted by The Impersonator (5083 posts) - - Show Bio

Me no understand the language of the Indigo Tribe. :P

#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

If it means we get to see more John Stewart, I'm on board.

#14 Posted by kennybaese (1102 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me, or does the Indigo Tribesman (Tribeslady? Tribesperson?) look a lot like that Monitor from the end of Final Crisis?

#15 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just reading through my HC of green lantern brightest day wondering when we'd see this story tackled in the new GL series. I just hope it doesn't answer every question.

#16 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@walkingcarpet: Yea it does!

#17 Posted by The_Tree (7246 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!

#18 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lanterns show courage, are able to overcome fear. Sinestro Corps are able to make others feel fear. I think Indigo Lanterns are chosen because they do not feel compassion so when they're inducted into the Corps they have to feel it. Like I've said before if Green Lanterns are space cops, Blue Lanterns are space firemen/paramedics and Indigo Tribe are space work release prisoners.

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I would love to actually get this issue then to learn about the secrets of the Indigo Tribesmen. They've constantly been a big question mark to me ever since Blackest Night.

#20 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a very interest tribe and i would love to learn more about them!

#21 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Black Hand still with them

#22 Posted by MorlockMartyr (66 posts) - - Show Bio

"Slaves to compassion?"

#23 Posted by Emperormeister734 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

finally we get the greatest mystery of a tribe and abin sur

#24 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely been keeping up with GL and looking forward to finding out more about the indigos

#25 Posted by SniffumsActual (6 posts) - - Show Bio

They have to tell us something about them by now. Geoff Johns has been building it up and keeping is in the dark for a long time. Can't wait for the issue! just a couple months to wait =(

#26 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

About damn time, I have so many questions that I've wanted answered for awhile. Why do they have rings and staffs? Why staffs? Why allow/imprison Black Hand to be a part of the tribe? Is Black Hand "lobotomized" in some way, he wasn't quite right last time we saw him. What's with Indigo-1? Does the Indigo ring/staff change you? I told you I have a lot of questions and these are only like half of them.

#27 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

Indigo. Like the captain magenta from Captain Scarlett. The guy no one cares for ha. I'd love to see more on Larfleeze.

#28 Posted by Mister_Sensational (178 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

Argh. I used the reboot to jump into the Lantern comics. Green Lantern is not that new user friendly. I feel like I am missing a lot of backstory. For example, I never even knew there was a Mystery of the Indigo Tribe.

Just start with Blackest Night then continue with Brightest Day: Green Lantern which will lead you immediately into War of the Green Lanterns and you'll be all caught up.

#29 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally! One DC book I won't be leaving behind :P

Glad to hear we'll have the Indigo back so soon^^

#30 Posted by HalJordan888 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to find out about the Indigo Tribe; they fascinate me and how is Abin Sur apart of this?

Also I'm glad they are keeping the Hal/Sinestro team together. I'm loving their interactions together.

#31 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem: I thought I was the only one who liked Captain Magenta! LOL.

#32 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC: That would make a load of sense and be really awesome at the same time! :^D

#33 Posted by MarcusVWario (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Weren't the Indigos the worst criminals in the galaxy so Abin Sur forced the Indigo light of compassion on them to make them docile?

#34 Posted by saoakden (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, I wonder what Abin Sur had to do with them. Is it me or did Abin Sur change everything for the Green Lantern Corps? He seems like to be a freaking legend among all the Corps.

#35 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@MarcusVWario said:

Weren't the Indigos the worst criminals in the galaxy so Abin Sur forced the Indigo light of compassion on them to make them docile?

I think that's where things are headed.

So excited we're finally getting to find out about them! It's been over four years since they debuted, two and a half since we first saw them in proper action. Ah, the mystery!

#36 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@HunterGP02 said:

TOTAL SPOILER ALERT should be in the headline. I now know that Hal did not die at the end of #3

As if he would have died anyway....

@PrinceIMC said:

Green Lanterns show courage, are able to overcome fear. Sinestro Corps are able to make others feel fear. I think Indigo Lanterns are chosen because they do not feel compassion so when they're inducted into the Corps they have to feel it. Like I've said before if Green Lanterns are space cops, Blue Lanterns are space firemen/paramedics and Indigo Tribe are space work release prisoners.

Nice theory.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.