theacidskull's Indestructible Hulk Annual #1 - Journey Into Science review

• theacidskull wrote this review on .
  • theacidskull has written a total of 175 reviews. The last one was for
  • This review received 3 comments

Incredible!

I've been interested in what this one shot had to offer, considering that Jeff Parker didn't give many interviews nor did he really talk about this issue that much. Jeff Parker is a very talented writer, and having just finished reading this, I can safely say that I loved this small annual. It had everything one would expect for an one-shot to have. I've been slightly disappointed with Mark Waids last indestructible Hulk and his new inhumanity arc as merely just begun so it was nice to take a break from all of that and focus on one singular story.

The first things that you'll notice is how well Jeff Parker writes both Bruce Banner and Tony Stark. The dynamic was absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed every minute of it. What this issue has shown me is something I've never payed much attention too, Tony( when written like a human being and not a back stabbing despot) and Banner are actually quite similar and different in various and interesting ways. Banner is a product of his own failure whereas tony thrived on his success, however, if this is ignored one will see that both, in a way, have partially been absorbed by their own "work". Tony became a part of his weapons while Banner had become the Gamma Bomb he had created so long ago. This is where Zadian comes in. Zadian is an intriguing villain, because he is what eventually inspired both Bruce and Tony to become what they are today. Jaff Parker actually makes a pretty interesting point here. War and Crises played huge roles in the creation of new and advanced technology, sure they were for an unfavorable purpose, but they gained funds and scientist could work with their theories non stop. It's a terrible truth to be honest, and that's exactly what the main villain showcases here. But the greatest thing about Jeff Parkers new villain, was the simple fact that he was a foreshadowing. Zadian had been so absorbed by his own innovations that he had literally become a part of them, hence why he had lost his humanity in the end. This is what Banner and Tony could possible become one day, and it could be argued that to some degree they have already merged with their work and products. My only complaint with Zadian is that he was probably a one-off villain, who served a meaning and will probably never be used again, though considering that he played a major role in both Starks and Banners history, it would seem like a waste to get rid of such a cool and interesting villain. He also meets all of the components necessary for a cool antagonist: Power, intellect, personal connection with the hero, etc.

Which brings me to my next point, Jeff Parker really adds a lot of new things to the Hulks history which really makes me happy and eager for him to take over after Mark Waid has completed his run. The things unraveled here are directly tied to Banners origin and the New Indestructible series. First and foremost, we finally get a vivid answer as to why Hulk has been lacking in personality for some time. Tony notices that Hulk isn't quite himself these days, as if he has become more savage and mindless. Banner explains that this might not be the Same savage Hulk tony has known for years, nor the smart and brooding Gravage version. Bruce then analyses that it's possible that since he has changed in personality and has taken charge of his life, he had gained dominance over the Hulk, more so than he had before. This is a great filler and it makes total sense. Also, we finely answer a question that hadn't even occurred to me, why did Banner built the Gamma bomb? Zadian even remarks on how Bruce was a grade A pacifist as a kid. Truth is, the reason for Banner building a bomb is the same as to why he is working with Shield right now. Funding. Banner even admits that he never intended to use Gamma Radiation as a force of destruction, but the only way he could get a job was associating himself with the army, so that's what he did.

Mahmuds art is great here IMO, more so than it was in indestructible Hulk 16. The reason for this is that the colors for some reason work better , and Hulk looks more like a beast rather than a human, which is always great. The action is absolutely stellar and Jeff gives Ashar some freedom to elaborate with character designs.

Overall this was a great issue, I was a bit worried because Annuals and one-shots suffer due to the fact that they are limited in what they can accomplish, but Parker really proves that a great writer can take a small opportunity and do awesome things with it. This Annual had everything I could have asked for, the art was cool, the comedy was well-balanced, and it added new interesting notions to Hulks history. It's a great read.

Recommendation: Yes!

Posted by PunyParker

Why is Iron Man wearing heat vision glasses?!....WHY?!

The armor is just to show off to the girls?!

Edited by GreenScar1990

Good review. Jeff Parker should have been on the Hulk when Pak decided to leave the series (for now, at least). The problem is that Marvel doesn't want to give him and several very talented writers a break. And the art for this annual was also great. Storywise it was very good. Not perfect, but loads better than Waid's 16 issues.

I'm glad that Parker had the backbone to address that Hulk has been reverting back to Banner (which Waid never had the common curtsey to do at all) for no reason and during times when it shouldn't happen at all, ala in extremely dangerous situations (Infinity finale; several issues of Indestructible). But, on the other hand, Parker didn't exactly state why this was happening, at least not directly. That's still a major mystery IMO.

Banner assumes that he has more control than Hulk. This is where I have a bit of a problem and begin to question/contemplate on this particular issue. Banner has never, ever, ever truly overcome the Hulk. He's never been fully able to control the Hulk, nor gain control over him. More or less, neither is dominant or totally in control. But they also have come to form alliances in the past. Which makes me question everything further.

I mean, if Banner has more control, than shouldn't we be getting a smarter, more intelligent, Merged/Professor Hulk instead of a growling, snarling beast with a single digit IQ? Just saying, something isn't right. Could it be that the Green Scar is planning to return... stronger, deadlier, more powerful and cunning than ever? It makes me wonder and really hope for the best.

On an off-note, isn't the old 'throw Hulk into the sun' bit getting a little tiresome? I mean, yeah, it'll strand him but it won't destroy him. Switch it up a bit. How about 'throw Hulk in a portal that leads to the Big Bang or the death of the universe or another universe or a black hole'. Just to keep it different and creative without repeating the same threat over and over again.

But I did like it that Hulk easily withstood a massive explosion, which destroyed the entire island, at point blank range.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@greenscar1990:

Take note that Banner didn't say he is WORKING WITH the Hulk, he basically implied that he's opposing him, only this time he has a different attitude. During paks run we had the intelligent hulk because he and Bruce were on the same team. Banner's change in personality and eagerness to pursue his goals is probably what led to this result.

It won't last though, it never does.