raw_material's Indestructible Hulk #4 - Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Part 4 review

Aqua Hulk

The Good

Ending the 3-part story line that depicted the beginning of Hulk's (or should we say Banner's) partnership with S.H.I.E.L.D. being considered a prelude going into the new story arc, I really wanted Waid to touch up more on his relationship with the agency; rather different than the ones they have with other heroes. We get to know that Bruce has stopped running away from his other side and find ways to restrain it; such as using more of his intellectual mind and apply modern technology to prevent the greatest cataclysmic disasters from occurring. Bruce was also willing to join the agency if they provided modern/future technology to help with his "greater purpose in life" and that Hill was only interested in Bruce's alter-ego, the Hulk, to act as a cannon for S.H.I.E.L.D. We also get to gain more ground on the 4 assistances of Banner's and see them interact with each other when they meet for the first time at his residential town at an atomic testing facility - a ghost town Banner currently calls home. Having taken in this information given, it builds up for the beginning of this story arc which introduces Hulk to his first underwater adventure to the Pacific as he'll have to stop Attuma - a lord of Atlantis - from going any further with his plans on regaining 'Sovereign Reign' over the entire Pacific Ocean; thus the battle of Hulk and Aquama...I mean...Attuma begins!

The artists without a doubt should be highlighted in this issue as they portray the most beautiful and impressive panels when we see the variety of deep colors Sunny Gho use to polish up the pages; From the flashback of Banner's encounter with the Gamma Bomb and the bright green reflecting like a lighthouse to the splash page of gigantic sea monsters wrecking the ships in the harbor of Lemuria that were jumping off the page, his unique coloring definitely compliments the sketches of Leinil Yu. I was also impressed with the way they portrayed the action scene(s) and clearly depicts them being underwater.

The Bad

One of the things that concerned me throughout the issue was the lack of emotion in some of the additional panels, which seems somewhat unfinished; however, the splash pages definitely makes up for this flaw. It almost seems like the artists kind of rushed through the smaller panels and tried to focus more on the essential pages - which I didn't mind at all considering how outstanding some of the artwork turned out. I believe if Leinil Yu focused on the issue from panel-to-panel and not just concentrate on the splash pages so much, the overall story would play out to be more clear; rather than seeming like your overlooking the more materialized panels.

Definitely an issue to pick up, being part one of a story arc depicted to see Hulk fight off the likes of Attuma and his army that are causing destruction throughout the Pacific. I believe there was so much time spent building on the story before the initial confrontation with Hulk and Attuma actually took place, that this was almost a filler to the next issue -which will most likely unfold the battle between the Hulk and the lord of Atlantis, Attuma. The cliffhanger at the end makes it obvious that Waid is saving the most intense parts for the next issue. Being the first actual story line of the series, I believe he's going to make it as thrilling as possible knowing the direction he's taken with the character - and trying to reach out to his full potential; but will this battle be too much for our air-breathing friend... or is he really that INDESTRUCTIBLE!

Posted by batkevin74

You mispelt Attuma the third time you wrote it, unless of course there actually is someone called Atumma then I'll shut my mouth. Nice review

Posted by Raw_Material

@batkevin74: Lol, thanks for pointing that out bro... and thanks again for the recommendation and feedback, much appreciated!

Posted by ComicStooge

Excellent review, bro.

Though, the title 'Indestructible Hulk' really doesn't right to me.

Posted by Frenemy

Legit :)

Posted by Vance Astro

It's hard to pull out flaws in this issue it was really good. I'm not really even a Hulk fan but I love Indestructible. Lenil Yu's pencils help.

Moderator
Posted by Vaeternus

I can't judge myself since I'm more of a DC guy then Marvel but nice review, gives a good idea as to what it's about.

What would you recommend for Marvel now anyway? What's their best stories going on? Cool write up review though dude.

Edited by Raw_Material

@Frenemy: @ComicStooge: thanks again for taking the time to check my reviews out..Like you said Stooges, Indestructible doesn't really fit the picture as of right now, but I think their setting up for something big in this first story arc that'll evaluate Hulk's true capabilities. I mean, in all the issues so far he's been tested day in and day out, from just being plain ol' Bruce or into the green wrecking machine inside of him; his level of self-composure and full potential has definitely been depicted within this 4 issues of HULK and I believe we'll shine more lit on this by pushing Hulk to the greatest extent.

As for the Marvel NOW! titles to pick up on, THE INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK would definitely be one of the series. Other titles that I like so far are Iron Man, Avengers, Deadpool, Daredevil, Superior Spider-Man, all the Ultimates and Uncanny series, I mean the list goes on man! The ones I listed are the series that I read though, so it's of my comics taste and not the overall perspective. I've been hearing ONLY good things about THOR: GOD OF THUNDER, but not really of fan of the asgardian god and rather read about the ONLY guy that can take him head on....Hulk, of course..lol

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@ckuakini said:

'Indestructible' Hulk is a VERY apt title, but on a more metaphorical level. Banner spelled it out in issue 2 I believe. The idea is that 'the Hulk' is 'indestructible' in terms of his relation to Banner. Banner cannot 'destroy' the Hulk. The Hulk is 'indestructible' to Banner; and so he's living WITH the Hulk instead of trying to fight it. Because he can't. Because the Hulk is 'indestructible.'

Edited by Raw_Material

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@ckuakini said:

It goes both ways; having they mentioned this in issue 2 like you said and seeing that Hill has signed Hulk to such heavy missions, which seems to tests his powers that fans, and the general audience have questioned in the past. This story arc seemingly will test his durabilities to withstand the brute nature of ocean floors, rather than Hulk being depicted to be demolishing his foes on land..most of the time. However, we've seen in some earlier series that he's capable of not only breathing underwater, but to equalize the pressure of it due to his expanded glands and other features of being the Hulk he is. The last issues also tested his enhanced abilities as they portrayed the high tensile strength of his skin when Quintonic Man and Iron Man's concessively-charged rockets clearly looked like it would melt a normal being in a second had know effect on him. However, the REASON why - in Bruce's perspective - Hulk's 'indestructible' is that there's nothing he could do to destroy him, so he's decided to cope with it instead.

Posted by Vaeternus

Sure dude anytime, hey be sure to check outmy new casey jones vs. hit-girl tpic in battleforums :)

Posted by Cyclops4President