theacidskull's Indestructible Hulk #10 - Blind Rage: Part Two review

Respect

The Biggest Mistake i've made after reading a comic book is reviewing it right away. i've learned that with comic books and movies, you have to wait for the impression it'll leave on you. When i read issue 9, at first i thought that it was amazing, and it was good, don't get me wrong, but as times passed i had to edit a lot of things in because i didn't notice some flaws initially. My main complaint was that Hulk nearly willingly almost killed a guy, and he seemed to mindless, but after reading this, there were a lot of things that were redeemed.

If This Doesn't Scare you Then i Don't Know What Will

Take note that this will most likely be a very long review so i will get the art out of the way, i'm going to go into a lot of details. As i mention before, Matteo is someone i have not been familiar with, and the last issue left a great impression on me, but he really up's the game with his skills in this issue. I do admit that i was sad when Yu left, i really wanted him to stick on the series, but Matteo is a good replacement, because essentially, in some specific ways he is superior. Matteo's style includes some rough aura around the characters, so the actions sequences and the movement in general feels like a movie. yes, you heard me right, it felt as if i was watching a movie, mark waid understands this, so it's my assumption that he lets Matteo have fun in giving him such scenarios in which this type of style is superb. the visuals here are fantastic, i couldn't put it better even if i tried, i don't even remember when was the last time an artist had such a great way of telling a story. To address matteos skills, i will bring a couple of examples of the scenes i enjoyed the most. In order to understand why his art is amazing, you have to know what kind of impact the visuals have on you, there is a difference between beautiful art(Yu), and art which can tell a story well. There is a scene where hulk Grins, after hearing from daredevil they he gets to smash his foes, this could have been something simple, and in the wrong hands it could have been unintentionally funny, but here, the simple grin speaks for itself. If i was new to the hulk i'd Think "wow, you better not get On his Bad side". What do i mean by this? i mean that from that one simple facial expression hulks feral nature was scene, matteo showed that Hulk is someone who should not be reckoned with, it showed respect, and i couldn't help myself from grinning as well. Another example would be Hulk saving daredevil, the mix of dark colors and hulks character design , same as before, speak for themselves. Hulk looks like himself, this means that he is Huge , bulky, and kinda scary, which is ironic because the plot tells a different story. In this one scene hulk was just simply spectacular, it was expertly drawn and i hope Matteo stays on this series for a long long time.

Now comes the plot analysis. Last Issue i was upset because hulk wasn't handled well, and i was worried that this might happen again, but This is Mark waid, he listens to fans, and i think he cleared his mistake. First of, i want to talk about hulks characterization , but it'll take me a while so i might as well talk about hulks powers. When the series launched people started complaining about hulk not being powerful enough, i was more for the story, but still it would have been nice to get some feats along the way, but mark Waid didn't ignore the fact that hulk was the strongest there is, in this issue he single-handedly shrugged off a molecular decomposer, if this doesn't satisfy people i don't know what will. Moreover, Hulks personality is strongly tied too banner, which is awesome, and exactly how it should be, mark waid said that he'd fully establish hulks character change in issue 11, but he doesn't disappoint in this one either. Not many writers take the notion that Hulks transformation depends on the Situation, it's mostly THIS version, or that Version, so this is mind you not out of character. Hulk can talk, and he can think as well, but when he gets angrier he goes much more mindless, this is what should have been in the 9th issue, because it's in character, it has happened to hulk before, but mark waid doesn't overdue it, in fact , there was a beautiful moment here IMO, i'll get to that later. Suffice to say that Hulk gets blinded, in a way that his Healing factor wouldn't help him, and naturally this makes him angry, therefore he comes angrier and Daredevil is put in grave danger. But Hulk couldn't see, which is why he thought he was attacking his enemy, he didn't want to hurt daredevil. And this is where the BIG moment comes in, and it's why i love waid's writing. In his Worst moment, when he is crazy angry, when all he can think about is smashing, he will always retain his humanity, and never forgets his friends, so he saves daredevil from a falling building. Awesome. this moment was the greatest Highlight of the whole issue, it focused on Matt and Hulk, and it was amazing. Though since i came this far i might as well mention something a lot of people will find problematic. Hulk did in fact kill a Hydra agent, not intentionally, but it his part was there too. I can say that i don't have a problem with this, because Hulk doesn;t kill people on his own will, but during his rampages, he still could have easily killed a few people in the early days, and this is something that happened because he was blinded, and the Hydra agent was being stupid and stubborn and charged right at him.

There also something I've noticed to, and a friend pointed it out as well. there seems to be something between banner and Maria hill, not LET me make it clear that i think it's a weird paring, but in a way it does make sense, i don't know what waid has planned for them but i CAN understand why it could work, maria is a control freak, paring her with banner, who chains up the one being that can't be controlled, is kinda interesting. There was a lot of tension between him and maria, i can't tell whether she is the potential problem or not. it's...interesting.

Unfortunately, this issue did have some Problems, the biggest being Baron Zemo. he wasn't really the villain of the story, he was there simply because he was was teased in the last issue, i'm sure he'll come back, but for this arc he didn't bring anything other than some cool feats, which i guess it's his own reward, and it's possible that this was not what mark had intended, but if this issue could focus on DD and hulk Baron Zemo must have been removed, which is why it's okay. but other than that Zemo's characterization was yet again amazing, arrogant, strict and merciless, which is exactly how he should be.

This issue was great, i am still waiting to why Hulk is more mindless than usual, but i trust waid to make the right decisions in explaining everything next issue.

4.5/5

Recommendation: yes!

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Great review can't wait to read the issue.

Edited by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

@theacidskull: Good to hear and that picture of Hulk grinning oh lord I won't be able to sleep at night.

Edited by lykopis

Nice review, just finished reading the issue and as usual, you've surmised it brilliantly. I was kind of hoping there would be a connection made with Zemo and Banner's assistant (the one who stayed behind when the other's went Frost Giant hunting) but oh well. I did like seeing Hulk in a position of being capable of understanding what an ally meant.

No sympathy for Hydra guy. Matt could not have been any clearer that he avoid the Hulk and why. He went tearing in anyway.

Not too sure about Hill and Banner getting together. I am beginning to think I am not supposed to like her.....

@lykopis said:

Thanks !:D

as for Maria and banner, thanks for reminding me! i should edit that part in.

I noticed A lot of tension here, i don't know what waids has planned for them, it's possible that he wants to make them a couple but thats gonna take a long time, and TO be fair banner and Maria do tend to get at each others throats. Lol, it makes sense to, a control freak in charge of the one thing that can't be controlled :P

Edited by lykopis

Before this issue I was feeling it because it was funny how they both kind of go out of their way to annoy each other but the way things were left now, it seemed a bit more sinister, you know?

Looks like our Green Galoot is off to some nifty time travel adventuring next! :)

@lykopis said:

True :P, but there still was a lot of tension here, mark waid will probably cause them A LOT of problems before paring them up :P

Edited by Raw_Material

Nice work on your review

Great review

Great review

Thanks man. have you read the issue yourself?

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Yes I have, and it's much better than last issue. I also feel it's one of the best the series has seen so far, though there have been a couple just as good, if not better. I however am not a big fan on the art, as although I prefer it to Simonson it's nothing compared to Yu's.

Edited by TheAcidSkull

I agree :), as for the art, i like it, Yu's Is Beautiful but story telling wise i think Matteo has the edge :)

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Yeah maybe so, but it just didn't appeal to me as much as I hoped it would, being a little too rough.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

I kinda like the roughness :P. especially when They activate the guns and such :P, and also hulks Grin :D

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: That it was, and same here. May start reviewing the series again as I didn't have time to review this short story.

Yeah, i've noticed that You've taken a break from the Hulk reviews man :P

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Yeah the last issue came at a time where I had too many series to review, and the others seemed more important for their stories, though I'll try and get back with next issue.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

and this a big arc thats coming up :P

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Hopefully, though I wouldn't mind it too much if it doesn't destroy the basics, and fundamentals, which I'm sure it won't. I think there will be some small change though like someone else coming back, or something not happening, but nothing too major.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

I hope so too, Mall interesting retcons could be good depending on the execution, even though i'm against it in general. Like the mall retcon Pak and Matlo did , if they could do the same it'd be awesome.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: That it would. I like change every now and then as long as it's not butchered.

Posted by Lvenger

Awesome review mate. You provide an excellent analysis of Waid's strong writing in this issue and it's good to see a true Hulk fun recognise the merits of Waid's writing on the series.

@lvenger said: