Ed Brubaker Comic To Become Movie

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't look so glum. You're going to be a star!

Deadline’s just revealed that Fox has acquired the rights to INCOGNITO, the Ed Brubaker/ Sean Phillips comic, and hired a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright to adapt it for film. I haven’t kept up on this series from ICON, but the premise sounds pretty interesting. It’s about an ex-supervillain, Zack Overkill, who’s renounced his villainous ways and agreed to go “incognito” by surrendering his powers in exchange for help from the witness protection program. Reduced from a larger-than-life criminal to a lowly mail clerk, he starts longing for the old days and that desire leads him to moonlight as a vigilante. The “seduction of good” proves as powerful as the “seduction of evil”, though. Zack finds that being a hero is more appealing than being a villain, but his “face turn” will be put to the test when his superheroic activity draws the attention from his old foes.

The interesting thing about this story is that it draws a more direction connection to the pulp “science heroes” who inspired our modern superheroes. The world depicted in this series has a 200-year-old history of costumed vigilantes, with analogs of Doc Savage and the Shadow inspiring generations of imitators. I think that’s pretty cool, as readers often times neglect that Superman’s debut was really following the success of characters like Tarzan, Buck Rogers and John Carter of Mars. I even see Millar and McNiven’s NEMESIS, another Icon title, drawing from France’s tradition of grand pulp anti-heroes like Fantomas and Diabolik.

Anyway, have any of you maniacs in the Comic Vine community read INCOGNITO? How well was it executed? Would you like to see it on screen? And who should play Zack Overkill? I better get some answers, or you’ll all have to go into witness protection, yourselves!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Icon (2054 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a series I've been wanting to check out. Now I have another reason too. x]

#2 Posted by G-Man (30657 posts) - - Show Bio

Great great series.

Staff
#3 Posted by drugstorevillian (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Incognito is the best series that I have read to date. Brubaker is a masterful story teller with the stunning artwork of Phillips. The dialog and execution of words are flawless. The art is fantastic and the covers are brilliantly done in watercolor. My only regret in reading it...is that it ended. 

I hope that they keep to the " roots " of the series...keep to the violence, the language and don't dummy it down selling it out for a PG-13 rating. This movie needs to be a hard R in the vein of Wanted or Sin City.

#4 Posted by nick7913 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@drugstorevillian said:

" Incognito is the best series that I have read to date. Brubaker is a masterful story teller with the stunning artwork of Phillips. The dialog and execution of words are flawless. The art is fantastic and the covers are brilliantly done in watercolor. My only regret in reading it...is that it ended.  I hope that they keep to the " roots " of the series...keep to the violence, the language and don't dummy it down selling it out for a PG-13 rating. This movie needs to be a hard R in the vein of Wanted or Sin City. "

Worry not drugstorevillain. They're bringing out a new arc this summer now that Criminal: Sinners is done!
I highly encourage everyone to get this in single issue form and not to trade-wait. Every issue has a backup feature: an article about an old pulp hero that really digs into the roots of comic books and which do not appear in the trades. That's right, a comic book that actually rewards its loyal readers by giving them something extra! Brubaker has mentioned time and again that they don't plan on making these available anywhere else. If you know any Criminal fans (I'm one of those too) they'll tell you that the backup feature is just as good as the rest of the comic book and really worth it. Pick up an issue and check it out for yourselves.
#5 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE THIS BOOK! Great story and art. Had a blast reading this. 

As for the movie, I heard abut this a few days ago, I'm happy to hear that its in the works but it worries me that it is Fox that is doing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.