braddock's Incognegro #1 - Incognegro review

Undercover Brother ... but good

I enjoyed this 'graphic mystery' written by Mat Johnson and drawn by Warren Pleece (I recall him doing some stuff in one of the early Lucifer trades). Things have very obviously changed in America over the last few decades, but it'd be foolish to think that race has been completely eradicated as an issue in the deep south -- having grown up in the Carolinas, that's party why Incognegro resonates so deeply with me. The book explores well what it means to be the 'invisible minority,' the perfect test subject in a time when the south when lynching and bigotry was at its most rampant. Though I wouldn't call this a mystery, I never found myself guessing once -- just a good drama with subtle b&w art.