Simmons Comments on INCARANTE Controversy

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

Last week, we reported that Radical Publishing had halted publication of its comic, INCARNATE, amidst accusations that its author, Nick Simmons, had plagiarized several Mangas, including BLEACH and VAMPIRE HUNTER D.  A Live Journal community has posted side-by-side page comparisons to argue that the art has been swiped. Radical issued a press release commenting on the incident, and BLEACH’s creator Tite Kubo made an interesting comment about it on his Twitter account, stating…

"I'm more interested in the fact that Gene Simmons' son is a mangaka [manga-artist] than whether he's plagiarizing me or not."

Simmons himself hadn’t commented on this controversy until today.  He’s issued his own statement to the Manga section of the website Comics Worth Reading.

And he states…

“Like most artists I am inspired by work I admire. There are certain similarities between some of my work and the work of others. This was simply meant as an homage to artists I respect, and I definitely want to apologize to any Manga fans or fellow Manga artists who feel I went too far. My inspirations reflect the fact that certain fundamental imagery is common to all Manga. This is the nature of the medium. I am a big fan of Bleach, as well as other Manga titles. And I am certainly sorry if anyone was offended or upset by what they perceive to be the similarity between my work and the work of artists that I admire and who inspire me.”

I don’t think that this is the last we’ll be hearing about this situation. What do you think of Simmons’ statement, Comic Vine Community?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Edited by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm not too sure but I think he is Bull@#$%ing everyone (opinion).The only reason I say this is because he took his sweet time responding to the plagiarizing,Like I said just an opinion.

Its like if FireFoxx starts a comic and use his art skills,that resembles Fred Perry's work,I'm going to say "oh he is taking ideas from Fred" NO!! I'm just saying that even though Foxx Art work looks like Fred's its still his own work.But this is wear Simmons come in.Most of the pages seem too familer to the mangas that I read (Bleach,Vampire Hunter D).Its just too similer,is all I'm saying.

This is to FoxxFireAlert: I apologize for using you in my argument,Hope you do not find it Rude or offencivie to you in any way.I love your work,And hope soon to see you in the comic book ink.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       Much luck in your success:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Enddy Garcia/Crazed H3ro

#2 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

saying they inspired you can go only so far, I've seen the page by page comparisons, they are the same images with a few minor tweaks

#3 Posted by Bloodstonefreak (138 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not inspiration, that's definitely plagiarizing.  Paying homage to a favorite comic/manga is using "maybe" one super special scene or line, not one scene from this issue and the next from that issue...  I saw the side by side comparisons and couldn't believe my eyes...

#4 Edited by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Davidson

There is a fine line between homage and plagiarism. Recently, I caught Paul Davidson doing a little "tribute" to Drew Barrymore in the pages of New Mutants. Is it tracing? I don't believe so. If you look at Davidson's work, he is clearly a gifted artist paying tribute an actress that he thought fit the part. I feel you have to take the artist's overall body of work into consideration to determine if they are a "tracer", like so many feel about Greg Land. Nick Simmons most likely feels very crappy about the whole thing. If he is a plagiarist, he should be. If not, he should shake it off like water on a duck's back. 
#5 Posted by vincethekid (69 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing is for sure....HE'S DONE IN COMICS.  What's going to happen is he quietly going to be let of his contract and then civil suits are gonna come rolling in.  I don't care if you're a huge fan of whoever.  If you take a style, look, and total feel of an artist you "idolized"  you gonna feel the wrath. It's one thing to reference your influences but, to totally take the whole thing is a disrespectful to the artist and the industry.  I can believe they gave him a gig in comics anyway!?  WTF.  I think the thing that pisses me off the most is there are TONS of qualified artist and writers who are struggling to get into the industry and there this DB is making even harder.  His name is the only reason he even got the gig.  Now, he looks completely stupid.  I hope get rocked by lawsuits and his dad has to bale him out.  Serves him right.  It's def a black eye to comics for sure. 

#6 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone ever put a fine line what is plagiarism or not? Even oe of the best manga of all time, "Slam Dunk" is considered as plagiarism cuz one of it's panel clearly (Dr. T the author and drawer said that he is inspired)copying the movement of NBA player, especially from the NBA card. If graphic image considered as art (which I think it should, but every panel?)then we can clearly point something as plagiarism

#7 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

slowly crank the handle and position the guilotine its time for a public execution

#8 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

would matter, if anyone was actually going to bother with his comic in the first place!
(_o_)

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bloodstonefreak said:

"That's not inspiration, that's definitely plagiarizing.  Paying homage to a favorite comic/manga is using "maybe" one super special scene or line, not one scene from this issue and the next from that issue...  I saw the side by side comparisons and couldn't believe my eyes... "

I couldn't have said it better. 

Tracing from googled photographs is one thing, but ripping off from another artist's work is disgraceful & infringes upon copyright.  Some of the work he copied hadn't even been printed in the West until the last couple of months, meaning he's pillaged from fan scanlations. 

#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3561 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
" Well I'm not too sure but I think he is Bull@#$%ing everyone (opinion).The only reason I say this is because he took his sweet time responding to the plagiarizing,Like I said just an opinion.  Its like if FireFoxx starts a comic and use his art skills,that resembles Fred Perry's work,I'm going to say "oh he is taking ideas from Fred" NO!! I'm just saying that even though Foxx Art work looks like Fred's its still his own work.But this is wear Simmons come in.Most of the pages seem too familer to the mangas that I read (Bleach,Vampire Hunter D).Its just too similer,is all I'm saying.  This is to FoxxFireAlert: I apologize for using you in my argument,Hope you do not find it Rude or offencivie to you in any way.I love your work,And hope soon to see you in the comic book ink.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Much luck in your success:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Enddy Garcia/Crazed H3ro "
Well, isn't that interesting that I got dragged into this. Was calling me "FoxxFireAlert" a crack or typo?  \_/
#11 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen images that i have used in my work becouse i felt they were so cool and fit in. I can see how Nick did the same. Was it smart ...no  but i feel he did it to "steal" the imagary.
#12 Posted by NightFang (10196 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or does the guy on the cover look like L from Death Note?

#13 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
"would matter, if anyone was actually going to bother with his comic in the first place! (_o_) "

Agreed. 

But I think this little punk knows what he did. 

#14 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how the bleach creator Tite Kubo couldn't give a sh*t about simmons other than the fact that he thinks it's hilarious that Gene Simmons son is a manga "artist"

#15 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone please tell that little kid to get a haircut!

and stop all that plagiarizing!

Go to your room young man!

#16 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

If tracing celebrity photos is OK (a la Greg Land), then so is this. Those photos are also copyrighted works of an artist. It's a crappy thing to take credit for someone else's work, but you carry on like it's a high crime against art itself. Art styles can be pretty incestuous, and a lot of manga (and American comics, for that matter) looks the same. Written stories are no different.  You know who else was a big plagiarist? Shakespeare!

How many of you cry babies "cranking up guillotines"  ever copied a report for school or submitted a term paper without proper attribution? How many of you used images from a Google search or copyrighted clip art in your photoshops? Do you think those parodies where someone uses a comic book scene or sequence of movie stills and inputs their own dialogue as just fine and dandy? Why? Because a jurist a few hundred years ago said satire and parody must be protected under law? But the law and morality are different things. If you think parody is OK but doing the same thing for non-parodistic purposes is bad, I'd say that there's an inconsistency in your thinking.

#17 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio
Is that a recent picture? He looks about 12. And apparently has the mental age of about 12, because anybody who had sense would've thought to themselves 'hey, maybe I've made too many "references" here, I could get in trouble'.
Has anybody here actually read his series? Is it actually any good? In any case, it is so good that it justifies crummy copied artwork?

@Illuminarch: I think it's that parodies are imitating something in order to communicate some sort of point or message ('look how stupid and hilarious XYZ is!'). Plagiarising doesn't really have a point other than the artist is lazy or lacks confidence to make things him him/herself. Simmons' justification (if we believe for the moment that he is just doing an "homage") is basically 'I'm copying this because look how cool!', and I don't think that's grounds for copying. For example, the Marvel covers that came out for Wolverine's birthday that parodied famous pieces of art were humerous homages; the artists were also credited, and it wasn't on every page. They knowingly drew upon those great artworks with a point. Simmons is just lazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.