The REAL GUARDIANS OF THE GLOBE

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

If the Eisners or the Harveys were to give awards for best comics advertising - - hell, even whatever awards organization's out there - - they’d need to re

cognize whoever came up with this whole “full-shot of a character in front of a big logo with a quoted mantra” scheme. Image has been rolling out teasers for their GUARDIANS OF THE GLOBE title that’s hitting this August - - and it’s the REAL one this time - - and the line-up so far includes Brit, Kaboomerang, Outrun and Yeti. Have a gander at the their solo spots throughout here.

A little back story, of course. You might recall that Image ran an ad campaign to introduce members of the GUARDIANS OF THE GLOBE last week. Invincible, Spawn, Rick Grimes from WALKING DEAD President Obama and Harry Potter were announced in what was eventually revealed to be a hoax (and there's a lot of that going around in comics, lately).  Going back further than that, you might also recall that the images were modeled after the one-sheets Marvel was rolling out to announce new members of the Avengers, the New Avengers, the Secret Avengers and the Avengers Academy. They also offered a no-prize for whomever could actually keep track of all four teams (well no, but they SHOULD have). Going back even further, all these campaigns remind me of the house ads Marvel was running in 1996 around the time of the MARVEL VS. DC crossover.  They were similar singles of characters in front of white backgrounds with their choice quotes warping around them and, sadly, I can’t find them anywhere online.  Anybody else remember these?

Anyway, what do you think of this real line-up, oh stark-and-simple Comicvine community? Do you embrace the reality or would you have preferred the fantasy?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Stormultt (5317 posts) - - Show Bio

hm interesting.
#2 Posted by Alphaproto (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I might have to buy some Image books now.
#3 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Brit, but this looks like the bottom of the barrel, even for the image universe.

#4 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

love all this invincible news , i think it would of been a much better series if it were true about  InvincibleSpawnRick Grimes on the same team , but the series is about the heroes of earth while mark is off planet !!!!!

#5 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, no offence to image fans, but these characters (minus brit) look terrible, and horrible names ha ha feels like some 10 year old made up these characters.

#6 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

Image has always been one of my fav publishers. 

#7 Edited by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Zombie said:

"Wow, no offence to image fans, but these characters (minus brit) look terrible, and horrible names ha ha feels like some 10 year old made up these characters. "

You obvoiusly have never read an INVINCIBLE comic in your life.  Pick up the first few trades.  You'll understand Kirkman's often tough-and-cheek approach to awesome character development.
#8 Posted by Shatterstar (4586 posts) - - Show Bio

I was more excited about the hoax lineup.
I'm sure it'll be good because its Kirkman but still...

#9 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I was more excited about the fake lineup. It looked to be highly amusing. Probably didn't help that I don't have a clue who any of the real team members are.

#10 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

heh..  can Kaboomerang Outrun a Brit-Yeti?

#11 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman. all i can say as well. the dumber or more obscure
the character looks or is, the better the story he's going to tell with it.
I'm sold.

#12 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

So far just because of Brit I am reading this.  Hopefully it will have the usual Kirkman Charm.

#13 Edited by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't forget about this guy.  I'm guessing now that BULLETPROOF or BRIT will lead the GoG.  BP has been around since the second incarnation of the GoG in the early issues of Invincible after the first GoG were slain. 

INVINCIBLE FUN FACT:  BP's costume was actually tried on first by Mark Grayson, but Grayson wanted something more "iconic", I think it's because of the "knobs" everywhere.  The knobs enhance the costume, I think.
#14 Posted by Dro (941 posts) - - Show Bio

The yeti image is placed as a link to the thread, not an image. So whenever I try to blow it up and view it, the page just refreshes.

#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

No Invincible?

#16 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that name : Kaboomerang

#17 Posted by Thomas Red (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@mattydee007:Haha!I noticed that too!And his name -Bulletbroof is what Invincibles originally was!!
 INVINCIBLE FUN FACT:  BP's costume was actually tried on first by Mark Grayson, but Grayson wanted something more "iconic", I think it's because of the "knobs" everywhere.  The knobs enhance the costume, I think. "

#18 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

Kaboomerang, that name is up there with Rex-Splode and Dupli-Kate

Form what Yeti's poster I'm going to guess that he/she is gay, I was going to say a girl but they already did that with  Monster Girl.
#19 Posted by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
"No Invincible? "

He's off-world doing the Viltrumite War thing.  The new GoG will be in charge of Earth for now.
#20 Posted by Jake Malcom (3258 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome

#21 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2296 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't joke about things like having Spawn, Invincible, and big characters like that, on the team and then not include them.
Thats like joking about putting Spider-Man,Wolverine, Thing, Captain America, all on the same team then say "Oh, just kidding."
Thats like promising to reveal who Cartmen's father really is and then airing Terrance and Phillip instead.

#22 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone seems cool except for the Boomerang guy. I don't like Boomerang characters, they just seem lame.

#23 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sold on Brit

#24 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like Kaboomerang because Rex Splode died, and to include another guy who can make things (boomrangs) explode looks like a mockery of his memory, IMHO.

#25 Posted by Icarusflies (12508 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
" I didn't like Kaboomerang because Rex Splode died, and to include another guy who can make things (boomrangs) explode looks like a mockery of his memory, IMHO. "
O_o 
I'm getting a total Ted Kord/Jaime Reyes vibe here.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.