Image to Host Its Own IMAGE EXPO in February 2012

Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

The solution to the independent creator being overshadowed by both of the "big two" (Marvel and DC) at Comic-Con is to host your own convention. That's exactly what IMAGE is doing with IMAGE EXPO this coming February. According to a press release from Image Comics, IMAGE EXPO will be a "three-day celebration of creator-owned comics" and will be hosted at the Oakland Convention Center located in downtown Oakland, CA on February 24th, 25th and 26th.

The show will feature a variety of well-known creators, and some of the guest stars include several of the founders of IMAGE Comics. The star guests of the show will include Robert Kirkman, Erik Larsen, Todd McFarlane, Jim Valentino and Marc Silvestri. Additionally, the show will feature appearances from several other IMAGE books like Jonathan Hickman, Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples, Rob Liefeld and more.

Possibly the most interesting aspect of this show is the fact that the show floor will be open to all independent creators, meaning all creator-owned comic makers are invited to attend to show off their hard work and sell their books. Registration for the show is currently open. If you're an independent creator and are interested in showing off your book, you can contact info@ImageComicExpo.com for information on how to sign up for an exhibit.

#1 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything always happens on the west coast.

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this would be awesome!

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow, cool! I wish I could go, but I can't just visit the other side of the country whenever there's a neat con/show/etc. :(

#4 Posted by blur1528 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13: I know, right?

#5 Posted by Larkin1388 (1733 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!!!

#6 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually surprised that Image Comics is still even around. I haven't read an Image comic in years. A lot of the series I liked were canceled long ago, or the character's went to Wildstorm then absorbed by DC.

My favorite alternative publisher is Antarctic Press.

#7 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

If only I lived in America =(

#8 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio

A Creator Owned Convention? Goddammit why do I have to live in this Middle of Nowhere

#9 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

:O If only I could somehow manage to possibly get there in any possible way. ARGH! *shakes fist* This sounds just so very, very cool. Do want.

#10 Posted by Decept-O (7291 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a great idea. Hope it does well for everyone. Maybe Comic Vine will offer coverage?

#11 Posted by butters911 (296 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: Image has really changed for the better. whereas they used to be like 90's comics, now they have thought provoking series like Morning Glories and Butcher baker. I would recommend picking up an Image comic from this decade
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@butters911 said:
@FoxxFireArt: Image has really changed for the better. whereas they used to be like 90's comics, now they have thought provoking series like Morning Glories and Butcher baker. I would recommend picking up an Image comic from this decade
Morning Glories is awesome as is Invincible, Wolfman, Guarding the Globe, The Darkness, Walking Dead and Drums  
#13 Posted by fitchy101 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

If only I lived in America =(

I hear ya there pal.

#14 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Image's own convention? Woah!

#15 Edited by tbarklay (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by The Impersonator (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O said:

This is a great idea. Hope it does well for everyone. Maybe Comic Vine will offer coverage?

That would be nice.

#17 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@butters911 said:

Totally. I remember being swept up in the Image fervor of the early 90s and then realized that the comics sucked, which along with the Spidey-Clone saga, made me quit comics. When I came back, I was shocked that Image was still around AND they had good comics! Robert Kirkman really helped save that company.

#18 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

That sounds awesome, wish I could go. I think some people I know will probably be their repping their new books. Had a friend get a couple of things picked up by image coming out next spring. This would be a blast to go to, if only I didn't live in Iowa :P too bad its not in Chicago, Minneapolis, or Kansas City, otherwise I'd be there for sure!

#19 Posted by Press Oblivion (1656 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I bet this is going to be awesome!

#20 Posted by Mister_Sensational (196 posts) - - Show Bio

YES, YES, YES!!! Right in my hometwon and within walking distance. Now I don't feel so mad that WonderCon is being moved to L.A this year.

#21 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Neat!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.