Follow

Publisher »

Image Comics was founded in 1992 by a group of high-profile comic book writers and artists, as a way to publish stories owned by creators rather than the company itself. They are now one of the largest comic book publishers in the United States.

Early Review: STORM DOGS by David Hine & Doug Braithwaite

ChrisPartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

Edited By ChrisPartin

The Good

No Caption Provided

This is the first issue of a new ongoing series by David Hine and Doug Braithwaite about a team of intergalactic crime scene investigators. You could easily write this off as a CSI series in space, and if you did you'd be writing off a very intriguing series that should grab your attention from the word 'go.'

David Hine uses this issue to introduce the reader to the planet Amaranth and the types of people that call it home. He then introduces the investigative team and establishes their personalities rather quickly and efficiently with just a few scenes before they hit planetside. Hine's dialogue between the team and the local sheriff is strong and shows their differences which may or may not lead to further complications in future issues.

Doug Braithwaiteís artwork in this issue is amazing and really stands out on the page thanks to the strong color choices by Ulises Arreola. The character and environmental designs in this book are impressive and provides just a small window into what readers can expect from Braithwaiteís designs as the series moves forward. Comicrafts' Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt lettering blends especially well with the panels and provides the dialogue and narration and becomes part of the art and not just laying on top of the panel.

The Bad

Iíve got nothing to complain about this issue. Itís strong in every sense of the word.

The Verdict

When this book was first solicited it immediately went on my 'to watch' list because of the creative team. There is very little that I have seen from either Hine or Braithwaite that I have not enjoyed and having them work together is something I knew would be something to behold. The possibilities with this series are endless and Iím glad to have started at the beginning to see where it goes from here.

Chris is a long time fan of comics and a co-host on the Image Addiction podcast (www.imageaddiction.net) and the curator of the World of Aspen (www.worldofaspen.com). You can find him shouting about comics on Twitter at @ChrisPartin!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Image podcast? Ok I'm in!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

I love Doug Braithwaite. Anytime sci-fi and crime can come together, its usually a good thing. I'll have to keep an eye peeled for this.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @longbowhunter: same here
    ChrisPartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By ChrisPartin

This issue is slated to come out November 7. Keep an eye out for it because it's great!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ChrisPartin: I definitely will, I need some good Sci-Fi
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

DAVID HINE IS THE MAN.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

You had me at CSI in space....awesomeness...

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Hit_Monkey

Looks good. I will be picking this up.

riiiiiiiight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By riiiiiiiight

I'll check this out for sure.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:

You had me at CSI in space....awesomeness...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.