Follow

Illuminati

Team » Illuminati appears in 363 issues.

A clandestine organization composed of the world's most influential and important people that guides events in the Marvel Universe.

The Illuminati and the Infinity Gems

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

.... WHAT HAPPENED?! Each of the Illuminati (Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Professor X, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt, and Namor) had one of the gems.

So yeah. Where are these gems, and how come they haven't been used during the events that have come and gone? Did somebody up in the creative department at Marvel just forget about it?

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GTG12

yeah ive always wondered that too....
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

They just had an arc about this in the main Avengers series, lol

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

They spread them amongst themselves so that nobody could use them, including themselves.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

It's all a plot device. 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " They just had an arc about this in the main Avengers series, lol "
    Well, that's what I get for dropping that series. Not good enough to make me want to pick it up again, though.

@PrinceIMC said:
    " They spread them amongst themselves so that nobody could use them, including themselves. "
    I know. But come on. Why not use the gems if the alternative is Earth's destruction?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gambit1024
    @JediXMan: It was surprisingly ok, but the art just doesn't do it for me. At least they didn't forget about it. 
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @JediXMan said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    Well, that's what I get for dropping that series. Not good enough to make me want to pick it up again, though.

@PrinceIMC said:
    " They spread them amongst themselves so that nobody could use them, including themselves. "
    I know. But come on. Why not use the gems if the alternative is Earth's destruction? "
    Because the next step after saving the world with them is conquering the world with it. It's why Captain America smashes Cosmic Cubes whenever he can.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @JediXMan: It was surprisingly ok, but the art just doesn't do it for me. At least they didn't forget about it.  "
    Honestly, I simply didn't care about any of the characters. The writing just left me thinking "eh, it's okay...." - same for the art. I traded that and other titles I wasn't enjoying for some better comics (New Avengers, Thor, and possibly Captain America were traded for New Mutants, Fear Itself, and possibly GL: Emerald Warriors. Gotta pick and choose)
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @PrinceIMC:

Doesn't have to be that way. All that power shouldn't be given to one man; but dispersed amongst six, they can keep each other in check.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @JediXMan said:
    " @PrinceIMC: Doesn't have to be that way. All that power shouldn't be given to one man; but dispersed amongst six, they can keep each other in check. "
    Well they also didn't want anyone else to know they had the gems. Black Bolt didn't even tell Medusa, she was kinda mad when she found out. Someone could try to steal them....like the Hood who got stupidly close to getting them all.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DH69
    @JediXMan said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:

@PrinceIMC said:
    I know. But come on. Why not use the gems if the alternative is Earth's destruction? "

lol i almost dropped the series because of romita jr's artwork, i think he's done with the series now though :p

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Deranged Midget

Random guy at Marvel: "Hey guys, what are we doing with the Infinity Gems?"

Executive at Marvel: "Goddamn, are those nerds asking for that crap again?"
    Random: "Yeah boss, should we have another story arc involving them? How about we give to some random street level character?"
    Executive: "Nah screw it, just include a paragraph about in a few issues and maybe they'll eventually forget about it."

Just my two cents :P
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024
    @JediXMan: Well that's Bendis for ya. The dude can't write a team book, IMO. New Avengers isn't all that great either. Thor hasn't been good either, but his new series had a pretty strong first issue. I haven't been keeping up with Cap. Fear Itself was pretty awesome, but I didn't get to read the second issue. Have you read Journey Into Mystery? 
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#15  Edited By AssertingValor

Professor X with the mind gem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be a scary thought! oh shit i think he read my mind! help! get him out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................................
    Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

jus some dumb aasss writers that haven't done their homework. I'ts happened before

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @DH69 said:
    " @JediXMan said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:

@PrinceIMC said:

lol i almost dropped the series because of romita jr's artwork, i think he's done with the series now though :p

"
    ... oh crap. I thought he said "New Avengers." WHY DO I SKIM?! I dropped that at the third issue....

@Gambit1024
    said:
    " @JediXMan: Well that's Bendis for ya. The dude can't write a team book, IMO. New Avengers isn't all that great either. Thor hasn't been good either, but his new series had a pretty strong first issue. I haven't been keeping up with Cap. Fear Itself was pretty awesome, but I didn't get to read the second issue. Have you read Journey Into Mystery?  "
    Haven't read Journey into Mystery. I just got Fear Itself. I'm about a month behind in my reading... I have a stack of comics on my shelf just waiting to be read. I'll get to it soon.

I dropped Thor. I wasn't really enjoying it since #600, and this last arc was just pure crap.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

What else everyone forgets (including the writers) is that the gems won't work in unison anymore. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gambit1024
    @JediXMan:  It's pretty good. They're taking Loki into a new direction. The last I read of Thor was JMS's run a few years back. 

@DH69: Is he finally done? It was so bad, lol. I think Bryan Hitch drew the last .1 issue, no?
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By DH69
    @Gambit1024 said:

" @JediXMan:  It's pretty good. They're taking Loki into a new direction. The last I read of Thor was JMS's run a few years back. 

@DH69:

Is he finally done? It was so bad, lol. I think Bryan Hitch drew the last .1 issue, no?

"

yeah im pretty sure romita jr is done ive seen previews for the next 2 issues and its not his stuff. Its not much of an improvement but im pretty sure its Chris Bachalo doin it now.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " What else everyone forgets (including the writers) is that the gems won't work in unison anymore.  "
    How come? They worked when Reed combined them. But that's not what I was asking; the gems on their own are powerful, so I see no reason why the Illuminati shouldn't use them.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @JediXMan: 

Eternity & Thanos - Infinity War #6
    Eternity & Thanos - Infinity War #6

The thing is, the gems are dangerous, and I think the greatest minds on Earth understand that. The reality gem should not be used without the use of the other gems because it can destroy all of existence. The Soul Gem is often said to be even more dangerous, taking the soul of anyone touching it. It is also much more sentient than the others, has it's own devious purposes and should not be handled. It's the only gem I've seen leave a bearer, speak, and operate on it's own against it's bearers will.

That being said, with the proper knowledge, there is no reason that they couldn't use the Power, Mind, Space, or Time gem. I think they are worried about them falling into the wrong hands and I also think the writers forget about the above pic and have the characters not use them for fear of them being gathered together again (even though continuity wise, they shouldn't work in unison). 
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By TheGoldenOne

I did not know that

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this comic please ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.