Follow

IDW Publishing

Publisher »

IDW Publishing (Idea Design Works, LLC) is a comic book publisher known for Steve Niles’ horror title 30 Days of Night. It has grown to include both original series as well as licensed property.

The “Old Ones” INFEST the IDW Universe

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By danhimself

“Last year, we were just figuring out how to do a monstrous event for the first time,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief. “This year, we’re going to build on the monstrous part, both in terms of story, titles affected and the threat itself. So people can expect a bigger event here, with lots of legs. Well, tentacles, anyway. We’ve got great creators and a very exciting plan to give people more of what they liked the first time, with some crazy twists and new properties affected, too.”

Coming in January, the kick off issue, INFESTATION 2 #1, will be written by best-selling novelist and comic-book writer Duane Swierczynski and feature art by INFESTATION/INFESTATION: OUTBREAK artist David Messina. This gripping issue sets the stage for Lovecraft’s “Old Ones” to break through time and space and invade many titles, including TRANSFORMERS, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and a special fifth-week one-shot, INFESTATION: TEAM-UP, featuring Bat Boy and GROOM LAKE’s grey alien Archibald in February. Then in March, the Infestation spreads even further, infecting TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and G.I. JOE. In April, vampires battle zombies in 30 DAYS OF NIGHT: INFESTATION, followed by the stunning closing issue, INFESTATION 2 #2.

Joining Swierczynski and Messina on covers for INFESTATION 2 #1 and #2 will be Alex Garner and Livio Ramondelli. INFESTATION 2 #1 will also feature unique temporary tattoos.

In February, writer Chuck Dixon and artist Guido Guidi will return to the often-requested “Hearts of Steel” timeline for the bi-weekly INFESTATION 2: TRANSFORMERS #1 and #2. Plus, Dungeons & Dragons novelist Paul Krill will introduce a brand-new campaign setting to IDW with INFESTATION 2: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: EBERRON #1 and #2. INFESTATION 2: TEAM-UP will be written by Chris Ryall and illustrated by his WEEKLY WORLD NEWS partner Alan Robinson, and feature covers by Eric Powell and The Simpsons’s Bill Morrison.

In March, Tristan Jones and Mark Torres pair up for INFESTATION 2: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1 and #2, while Mike Raicht and Valentine de Landro present INFESTATION 2: G.I. JOE #1 and #2. INFESTATION 2 architect Duane Swierczynski and artist Stuart Sayger will explore the effect of Lovecraft demons on vampires in the INFESTATION 2: 30 DAYS OF NIGHT one-shot.

As a special bonus for fans, every issue of the INFESTATION 2 event will feature a connected cover by artist Livio Ramondelli, and IDW will be producing special incentive temporary tattoos with each issue, too.

Stay tuned to IDWPublishing.com as more creative teams for this epic crossover event are announced. Plus, readers can get a sneak peek at INFESTATION 2 by asking their local retailer about the INFESTATION 2 ashcan, coming in late November and featuring interviews, artwork and information about this momentous event.

INFESTATION 2 #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores on January 25, 2012.

INFESTATION 2: TRANSFORMERS #1 and #2 will be in stores on February 1 and 15, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: EBERRON #1 and #2 will be in stores on February 8 and 22, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: TEAM-UP will be in stores on February 29, 2012.

INFESTATION 2: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1 and #2 will be in stores on March 7 and 21, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: G.I. JOE #1 and #2 will be in stores on March 14 and 28, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: 30 DAYS OF NIGHT will be in stores on April 4, 2012.

INFESTATION 2 #2 will be available in stores on April 11, 2012.

No Caption Provided
    1:04
    Hello! Conference starting now.
    1:05
    IDW's Chris Ryall said that Infestation 2 stands alone, and isn't dependent on having read the first Infestation or Infestation: Outbreak.
    1:05
    Ryall said they're heading to "Lovecraft territory" with Infestation 2.
    1:06
    Ryall said that having tentacled Lovecraftian monsters interacting with say, the vampires of 30 Days of Night, almost (but not quite) makes those characters sympathetic.
    1:07
    "We definitely wanted the Turtles this time," Ryall said. "Turtles play well in many universe. They function as our most superhero-esque title, them and G.I. Joe."
    1:07
    Ryall said they found "really unique ways" to weave in Danger Girl and Dungeons & Dragons.
    1:09
    Ryall mentions the 2006 Transformer miniseries "Hearts of Steel," saying that continuity will be revisited during Infestation 2.
    1:10
    IDW editor Bobby Curnow says that the Lovecraftian threat is very "versatile."
    1:11
    Infestation 2 #1 is out on Jan. 25, 2012 by writer Duane Swierczynski and artist David Messina. Infestation 2 #2 is out April 11, 2012, with the same creative team. Both have two covers, one by David Messina and one by Alex Garner.
    1:12
    "You'll see a lot of fun historical characters, people you never expected to see interacting with Transformers," Curnow says of the Infestation 2: Transformers book. "If you've ever wanted to see a steampunk version of Optimus Prime fight a giant monster, this is the place."
    1:13
    Set in the world of "Hearts of Steel," Infestation 2: Transformers #1 (out on Feb. 1, 2012) and #2 (Feb. 15, 2011) will be by writer Chuck Dixon and artist Guido Guidi, who also provides covers.
    1:14
    The Dungeons & Dragons issues will be set in the Eberron campaign, a first for comics.
    1:15
    Infestation 2: Dungeons & Dragons: Eberon #1 (out Feb. 8) and #2 (Feb. 22) are by writer Paul Crilley and artist Valerio Schiti. Menton Matthews on covers.
    1:15
    "It's in a way that makes much more sense than just forcing tentacles into the D&D universe," Ryall said of the Eberon setting. "It's less swords and more sorcery," Curnow adds.
    1:17
    "This book has a really great horror vibe," Curnow says of the Ninja Turtles tie-in, adding that the TMNT will be going "further into the sewers"
    1:18
    Infestation 2: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (out March 7) & #2 (out March 21) are by TMNT veteran writer Tristan Jones and artist Mark Torres. Livio Ramondelli on covers.
    1:18
    The main character for the D&D tie-in is Abraxis Wren.
    1:19
    The Cobra team of Crystal Ball, Storm Shadow and Interrogator star in the G.I. Joe tie-in.
    1:19
    "You may or may not see some of your favorite Joes get involved, too," Curnow says.
    1:20
    "This is basically a cross between One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and your favorite horror movie," Curnow adds.
    1:21
    Infestation 2: G.I. Joe #1 (out March 14) & #2 (out March 28) is from writer Mike Raicht (the only creator from the first Infestation returning for the sequel) and art and covers from Valentine De Landro, an X-Factor alum.
    1:22
    A lighthearted tie-in comes on Feb. 29 (the fifth Wednesday in February, and also leap day) called Infestation: Team-Up, what Ryall calls a "piss take."
    1:23
    It's written by Ryall with art from Alan Robinson, and a cover by The Goon's Eric Powell. It starts characters from Groom Lake and Weekly World News (including Bat Boy). "It is sort of a letting off of steam as this bigger, more important event is going on," Ryall said. "I did my best to make this funny."
    1:24
    Duane Swierczynski, dubbed the "architect" of the event, is writing the 30 Days of Night tie-in. It takes place in the North Pole.
    1:24
    "There are a lot of people converging on this scene that no one should be at," Curnow says.
    1:25
    That's out on April 4, with art by Stuart Sayger.
    1:26
    "What's really nice about this entire event is that it really feels cohesive," Curnow says. "As happens in this world now, everything is at least thought of as a trilogy," Ryall adds. "Assuming this one works well for everybody."
    1:28
    If retailers order 25 books, they get 25 temporary tattoos.
    1:29
    Infestation 2 is on the cover of Previews.
    1:30
    There will also be an ashcan prequel available to retailers.
    1:32
    Danger Girl "was going to factor in big," but now factors in "less big," but will still be a part of the Infestation 2 event.
    1:33
    Another Danger Girl series, called "Revolver," is starting in January.
    1:33
    The IDW TMNT books will now be available in the UK.
    1:34
    The Infestation 2 tie-ins are all in continuity, but "side corners" of the respective universes that don't affect the ongoing story.
    1:35
    There is definitely interaction between different properties in Infestation 2, Ryall says, but he doesn't want to talk specifics yet.
    1:39
    "If you have been following both events, you'll get a nice through line," Curnow says, but it's still individually accessible.
    1:40
    Transformers: Hearts of Steel is being reoffered to coincide with Infestation 2.
    1:41
    Ryall said that the Mars Attacks concept lends itself well to a possible third Infestation event, but he can't speculate on it now.
    1:45
    The new edition of Hearts of Steel will have a new cover by Guido Guidi.
    1:50
    Questions from the Q&A: Any chance for a Godzilla/Transformers crossover? Ryall said he'd love to, but he doubts it will happen.
    1:52
    "We brought all of our toys out of our toy chest," Curnow said, calling it the "most fun part of the job."
    1:54
    "I'm certainly aware of what's worked and what's not worked, and I think we've found a way to make this one work," Ryall said.
    1:55
    Ryall reports that Steve Niles approved of the 30 Days of Night tie-in, and is a fan of Swierczynski's.
    1:56
    That's it! Thanks for reading!
    Infestation 2 Tattoos
    Infestation 2 Tattoos
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

WHAT THE F**K. AWESOME.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By danhimself

@InnerVenom123 said:

WHAT THE F**K. AWESOME.

IDW does some really great books so yeah I'm excited!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danhimself

Updated with some new info and pics

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

:D :D :D

AWESOME!!!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

We need to preserve the Lovecraftian legacy....so I'm happy as hell!

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

O_O

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE

1. Thank you dan for the great coverage, dedication and update. Making a preview of whats awesome coming from IDW can leave one wondering where it ends and whats actually the kewler thing coming out by them, you know? Yeah, you do.

2. I loved Infestation, loved CVO, love Infestation Breakout, so...YES!OMIGODOMIGOD@Infestation 2!!!!!!

3. If a comic company is sitting around saying " Hey, so how do we make the best comic book company possible, put out the best offerings possible, and the stuff people really want to see, with the best quality possible, then, how do just go up and up from their to the point we've made a comic company into a candy store where one just doesn't know how much or even exactly what to take home today " and then does this for real, it's IDW without a doubt. I get all spazzed now days just hearing the company name before even seeing what the news is because I know there's going to be fireworks on display. IDW: Thank you for making comics great again!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

@CATPANEXE said:

1. Thank you dan for the great coverage, dedication and update. Making a preview of whats awesome coming from IDW can leave one wondering where it ends and whats actually the kewler thing coming out by them, you know? Yeah, you do.

2. I loved Infestation, loved CVO, love Infestation Breakout, so...YES!OMIGODOMIGOD@Infestation 2!!!!!!

3. If a comic company is sitting around saying " Hey, so how do we make the best comic book company possible, put out the best offerings possible, and the stuff people really want to see, with the best quality possible, then, how do just go up and up from their to the point we've made a comic company into a candy store where one just doesn't know how much or even exactly what to take home today " and then does this for real, it's IDW without a doubt. I get all spazzed now days just hearing the company name before even seeing what the news is because I know there's going to be fireworks on display. IDW: Thank you for making comics great again!

1. You're welcome, even though it's just copy and paste. But none of the staff ever seem to report on IDW or Transformers news and I love both and I can't write so those combined leave us with this.

2. I loved Infestation as well. It combined 2 of my favorite things, 80's tv show comics and zombies!

3. Completely agree!!! I really wish that they got some more attention since they are constantly putting out great comics!

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CATPANEXE

I can't actually believe they're resurrecting World Weekly News BTW. I actually bothered with the mini they put out awhile back. What a funny and completely inspired inspired little thing that was. I can't wait to see Bat-Boy again! ^___^

If only they include a Bigfoot crossword in the comics...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself

@CATPANEXE: I really wish that IDW were allowed to continue the Archies TMNT series with Steve Murphy writing and Chris Allen on art and let them pick up with "Forever War".....that would make IDW the best publisher of all time in my eyes....Archie's TMNT Adventures still stands as the best interpretation of the Turtles outside of the original Mirage series imo

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Larkin1388

Fricken Sweet!!!

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CATPANEXE

@danhimself: I can agree to that notion, though, I feel that the current IDW Turtles is in more than competent hands and farther down the road it's going to end up being one of those books we look back as legend/classic and really hasn't even begun to show us what it's made of and pull out all the stops yet at all. Really Ninja Turtles almost never fail me, despite any shaky feelings in the start of things. Imo.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

@CATPANEXE: I do have some shaky feelings about this current series right now and they're going to continue until I see how they tie up this origin....cause right now I don't understand how Splinter could possibly teach them when he's still just as much of a lab rat as they are

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CATPANEXE

@danhimself: I'm really enjoying the prose, art, action sequences (so classic TMNT right there), dialogue and pace really where I think it hadn't come up, though I think I recall you mentioned this to me before. I'm only past issue #2 myself, so maybe there's something I'm not clued into, but viewing time gaps, like what was Splinter the rats story prior to the lab (he's depicted as fairly old and torn from the start), the portion of time between Hob snatching Raph as an infant and current events (assuming only Raph was retrieved at some point and now lost again?), how much there is to the relation with Hob, and eventually the Foot and naturally Shredder, ect. and down the line. Assuming, again I know, but that Splinter the rat had some kind of origin prior where he picked up his moves, then in the time missing between their development from baby turtles to full mutation (I think that gap is exactly shown in #2, where their exposed to the mutagen and then the next page flashes to " Present Day ") would be where their training was asserted, and currently they show to be far from elegant in their skills. I'm viewing this as an unfolding opus, not unlike we're seeing with many of the revamped DC titles, and the writers are serving it with very much volume (much of the original story is now more technically detailed, little catches thrown in here and their, like Splinter the rat meeting The Foot right away, ect), and taking time with the pacing in order to built a full, complex, deep and meaningful take on the Turtles story with the things we already know being related in a stronger more poignant way and new more logical twists added over a stretch of time, rather than just shove everything in our face and quickly move on and past it, and that really excites me about. I think it will really come on this way for us both in time, and you won't end up disappointed. I trust the people care taking to much to believe otherwise

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CATPANEXE

I was at the comic store the other day, finally picked up Outbreak #4, and I wanted this stuff to be on the shelves so bad that I tried staring and imagining hard enough for it to materialize into being. Sigh, cannot wait.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

updated with a preview

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.