Follow

IDW Publishing

Publisher »

IDW Publishing (Idea Design Works, LLC) is a comic book publisher known for Steve Niles’ horror title 30 Days of Night. It has grown to include both original series as well as licensed property.

Jerry Bruckheimer Purchases Feature Rights To "World War Robot"

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    It seems clear that Hollywood has turned the comic book industry into it's own personal springboard for new movie ideas; so it should be of no surprise to anyone that Jerry Bruckheimer's well oiled movie making machine has recently purchased the feature rights to IDW Publishing's "World War Robot" according to a report by Variety

IDW is a publisher that is not unfamiliar to turning it's published work into mega blockbuster hits. One of it's recent ventures, " 40 Days Days of Night," went on to gross a total of $40 million, and that was just domestically.

No Caption Provided
    I am beginning to see a growing trend in the machine/robot/ comic book theme turned mega blockbuster movies and I have to admit I am not so sure I know how I feel about that. Sometimes when Hollywood gets its hands on a formula that works once, they milk it for everything it is, and it eventually becomes so cliche that no one wants to watch it. What do you guys think? Have you read the series written by Ashley Wood about the small group of humans and robots that face off in an inter-planetary battle? Do you think that the story has the opportunity to transition into a good film?
    vaage-aina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vaage-aina

no i have not read the series written by Ashley Wood about the small group of humans and robots that face off in an inter-planetary battle...but i would not mind seeing another movie about robots  again as long as it has a good plot and great graphics....

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

Haven't seen this one but I actually like any excuse to use robots (well, I don't like the Transformers movies) and giant explosions and all out battles.  It's a guy thing.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Hey, it's like every other industry. It happens in video games and comic books. In games everyone now wants to be the next GTA (Grand Theft Auto) or God of War. They see something that is popular and want to milk off the success. That way they don't have to take a risk with an original idea. I was in a Blockbuster recently after the release of the first Transformers movie. In there I saw a DVD for a movie I had never heard of called "Transmorphers". You know what that reminded me of? It made me think of when in comics they want to talk about some sort of pop culture event, but can't plainly say the title, due to copyright issues. So, they just alter the name to sound alike. A good example I can think of off the top of my head would be in the Spider-man: Web of Shadows game. In that Spidey accuses Wolverine of having a 'myface' page.
    In comic books. I believe Namor (first appearance in April 1939) also predates Aquaman (first appearance in Nov. 1941) by two years. Both are kings or princes of Atlantis and don't like 'air breathers' much. The irony is that most people have heard of Aquaman. Thanks to the early popularity of the Super Friends cartoon series. Aquaman is a blond. Namor might like him.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

Can't Wait To See It.

Avatar image for new_mutant_zombie
    New Mutant Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By New Mutant Zombie

Zombies VS. Robots that's what they need to make a movie on.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@ New Mutant Zombie

I second the motion

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sparda

Man, everyone is turning every random comic in to movies nowadays. It's becoming pretty strange.
    @FoxxFireArt said:

"I was in a Blockbuster recently after the release of the first Transformers movie. In there I saw a DVD for a movie I had never heard of called "Transmorphers"."
    Yeah, that was made by a film company that has made a ton of other titles such as that. It's to cash in on the popularity of movies at the moment. Other notable examples include: Alien Vs Hunter, Snake on A Train, and The Terminators.

Also, Babs, I believe the comic/film is called 30 Days of Night, and not 40 Days of Night. Just nit-picking, haha :P
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Media_Master

never heard of it, but the concept sounds neat.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dondasch

Never heard of this before.  May have to read it at some time, but other items have to come first.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Green ankh

I want a remake of Robot Jox !!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.