Early Review: The Pound #1

Posted by inferiorego (22327 posts) - - Show Bio

Occasionally, a comic book company is kind enough to let us review a comic before it comes out. Today, we have The Pound, which will be releasing digitally around March 30th on the iPhone, iPad, and the Sony PSP Store as part of the IDW digital initiative. 

The Pound is about two out-of-work animal control technicians who decide to start their own animal control company, and what do these two unemployed technicians end up running into? Werewolves.

== TEASER ==

The Good

I know comedy, at least I think I do because I'm a F-List Chicago comedian, and while this book isn't laugh out loud hilarious, it is a fun and entertaining book. It funny without going too over-the-top. The book is pretty rooted in "reality." There so many books that claim to be comedic out there, and unlike most of them, this book is light-hearted and a fun read. It's not something you'll get bored by.

It's incredibly nice to see a book where the dialogue and relationships between characters feels real, especially the husband/wife dynamic between Scott (the blonde with the killer mustache) and his wife, whose name I didn't catch. It feels like a real relationship and not forced, like so many other comics books I've read in the past.

When I first saw that werewolves were in this book, I rolled my eyes. I feel like I've seen everything when it comes to werewolves in films, television, books, and comics; however, this comic really has a fresh take on werewolves. It's just two guys who stumble into that world. As much as I didn't like the idea that this is a werewolf book, I fell in love with the overall concept by the last page, and I'm excited to see where The Pound goes from here.

The Bad

Like I said earlier, I'm a bit skeptical when I see werewolves in a book, and I fear the book might take a turn towards these guys finding a secret werewolf society and having to take it down. I'm hoping the book pushes the envelope a bit more to separate it from the other horror/comedy books on the shelf. 

For me, the art is the weakest aspect of this book. In no way is it bad, I actually liked it, but it's pretty typical artwork for an independent book. To be honest, the "good" about the art far out-ways the "bad," but if I was just rating the book for art, it would get a 3.5 out of 5. 

One last very minor thing. Some people just aren't into reading books digitally, and while I've been told that the book will eventually come out in physical trade, it may turn off a few people to getting it. I'm not sure how much the book will cost at this point as well. I'm assuming it will be no more than $2, but we'll see.

The Verdict 4/5 - Recommended

It's a fresh take on an old favorite, werewolves. And while the idea of a digital comic may turn a few readers off, I can say without a doubt, it's a hard medium to adjust to, but digital comics are well worth it. It's a fun read, and frankly, it's a nice change from the hundreds of super-hero books swarming the shelves and your pull list. Again, the book will be released on iPhone, iPad, and the Sony PSP store around March 30th.

Thanks to Charles Pritchett at Frozen Beach Studios for the early review!
Staff
#1 Posted by TDK_1997 (15759 posts) - - Show Bio

I see potential in it

#2 Posted by NightFang (10717 posts) - - Show Bio
@TDK_1997 said:
" I see potential in it "
#3 Posted by Mumbles (858 posts) - - Show Bio

silly

#4 Posted by cyberninja (10489 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad, not bad at all. 

#5 Posted by mysticflame (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I like comedy, this might be good 

#6 Posted by dewboy01 (2362 posts) - - Show Bio

which comic company is this?
#7 Posted by inferiorego (22327 posts) - - Show Bio
@william knowles said:
" which comic company is this? "
Frozen Beach Studios, but it is being distributed by IDW
Staff
#8 Posted by StarKiller809 (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to lie. I didn't even know this existed. I guess now I will have to chekc it out
#9 Posted by Caligula (12661 posts) - - Show Bio

IDW wins again.

thanks for sharing ego :D

#10 Posted by goldenkey (3033 posts) - - Show Bio

F-List???  You're flattering yourself there Matty boy.
#11 Posted by inferiorego (22327 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" F-List???  You're flattering yourself there Matty boy. "
I was J-List, but since I started running a room, I'm bumped up to "F"
Staff
#12 Posted by Golden Cod (510 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't start taking themselves too seriously with secret socities etc, I think I'll take a gander.

#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8621 posts) - - Show Bio

Consider me interested!

#14 Posted by Out_of_Space (778 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks interesting.

#15 Posted by Eyz (3184 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds promising~

And I mostly buy tpb and not single issues, so..

#16 Edited by meffman (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Golden Cod. No worries about us taking this too serious, and there is no secret society of werewolves. Scottie and Howie don't become monster hunters in the traditional sense. Thanks in advance to everyone who supports the title, either in its digital format or the printed trade. A preview of issue one will be posted soon.

You can follow Howie's tweets too.  https://twitter.com/howie_lynch 

Cheers, 
Stephan

#17 Posted by inferiorego (22327 posts) - - Show Bio
@meffman said:
" Hey Golden Cod. No worries about us taking this too serious, and there is no secret society of werewolves. Scottie and Howie don't become monster hunters in the traditional sense. Thanks in advance to everyone who supports the title, either in its digital format or the printed trade. A preview of issue one will be posted soon.  You can follow Howie's tweets too.  https://twitter.com/howie_lynch Cheers, Stephan "
Straight from the horse's mouth... I'm totally not calling you a horse by the way.
Staff
#18 Posted by meffman (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @meffman said:
" Hey Golden Cod. No worries about us taking this too serious, and there is no secret society of werewolves. Scottie and Howie don't become monster hunters in the traditional sense. Thanks in advance to everyone who supports the title, either in its digital format or the printed trade. A preview of issue one will be posted soon.  You can follow Howie's tweets too.  https://twitter.com/howie_lynch Cheers, Stephan "
Straight from the horse's mouth... I'm totally not calling you a horse by the way. "
lol... s'ok. I've been called much worse.
#19 Posted by Croi (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, just digitally released?

#20 Posted by meffman (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@Croi said:
" Wait, just digitally released? "
No. It will be digital for the series, and collected into a trade (print) with an August release date.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.