Depth in DC characters

#1 Posted by Kitty Cruz (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the series that changed my view permanently concerning the DC universe's abilitly to keep the characters in touch with its readers. I feel I've lost my connection with so many other charaters out there, and honestly, the way the charaters expressed themselves, made me actually FEEL something for them. For a good while, it made me forget about their powers, and focus so much more on their feelings. I've read these books over and over again!

#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I don't understand why people hate identity crisis so much, ok it wasn't the best thing published but it was a good read in my opinion

it shows why the mask is so important

#3 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Identity Crisis and the issues it raised and the tensions it caused between the heroes was a great read. I preferred it to Infinite Crisis.

#4 Posted by Undeadpool (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
"

Personally I don't understand why people hate identity crisis so much, ok it wasn't the best thing published but it was a good read in my opinion

"
THANK you! I actually think it was great, but I cannot begin to list the number of prominent (at least on the internet) comics fans who have an irrational hate for this series that i simply DO NOT understand.
Staff
#5 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it as well, and its one of my wife's favorite limited series too.

Not every problem can be solved at the end of the day by beating up the bad guy or uncovering some hidden mastermind. 

#6 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
"

"

I like Identity Crisis overall but the rationale for hating it is pretty clear to me as well.  Here are some reasons but only the first is one that is my own: 

1. Batman solving the mystery - A lot of the hype around Identity Crisis as an event at the time sold in individual issues (something that reading it in trade years later doesn't really capture) is that it was written by an acclaimed mystery writer who assured us that this was going to be a genuine and logical mystery to be solved through the clues laid out throughout the story.  At the very end, Batman spontaneously solves the crime but he has no access to any additional clues the read does not and there is no logical way for him to have been certain in his conclusion.  He may have intuited it or guessed but he could not be certain based on the scant information he had.  So basically, readers who had carefully pieced together every clue were cheated out of a logical puzzle (this doesn't mean there weren't people who guessed right based on one clue or another... but they could not use the clues to conclusively prove their guess until the final reveal).  Again, given all the hype around the mystery aspect this was a major let down for would be detectives and felt like shoddy writing. 

2. Out of Character moments / continuity changes - No one likes it if their favorite hero turns heel, falls victim, dies, is raped, psychically destroyed, retires, is irreparably distraught, under performs, falls from grace, etc.  If you have a personal attachment to a character and they're portrayed in a negative light, there's going to be negative emotion... some deal with it better than others.

3. Increased Rationality - Comic books only "work" because of tropes all readers accept as a given but Identity Crisis rips a bunch of those tropes apart for the sake of the story.  Undoubtedly this made for compelling reading but longer term readers may have felt this posed a threat to the rest of the tropes which sustain the genre, setting a dangerous precedent that tropes could be undone for the sake of an event (and they were again for Civil War other DC/Marvel events)... likewise, some could feel that their reading was being poked fun at... that all the years of stories sustained under that trope were suddenly irrational and irrelevant, thus only stories from that point forwards would be relevant or grounded.  Some worried whether this was sustainable.  These concerns turned to hate for many. 

4. Increased Darkness - With increased rationality there could be increased darkness... and while reality makes it only an option, ID Crisis went out of its way to make it a point... killing, raping, and mutilating as it went.  As such a drastic tone and content shift for the DCU, again emotions for some people. 

I think the overall sense by detractors was that if such taboos were crossed and sacred cows kicked over it would be the end of comics as we knew it and to a degree they were right... since then many more taboos have been broken (bringing back and dirtying the Saint, creating a spectrum, bringing back the sidekick(s), killing the Bat, etc. for both companies) whether it's sustainable remains to be seen but until then the stories that have come out of it have appealed to many.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.