Follow

Icon

Character » Icon appears in 106 issues.

Icon is the superhero persona of Arnus aka Augustus Freeman, and member of the Terminan alien race. He crash-landed on Earth in the American South in 1839; Raised as a slave, but escaped through the Underground Railroad. Following a series of events, Augustus decides to become a Superhero, and eventually joins the Justice League, after being drafted by Superman.

Should Icon be used, should his origin be retconned?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheCrowbar

I was thinking about this since the last time we really spoke about Icon on Comicvine. I was thinking maybe Icon could be a Kryptonian who left Krypton decades ago. Feeling he had nothing to contribute to the society there, looking to help less developed societies rise up like Krypton's (Sorta like the ending to the Batman/Superman elseworld series)

Flash forward to a planet that wasn't really prepared for a technological leap like that, they rip each other a part and Icon retires to Earth in hidden shame. He can't go to Krypton, not with his work being such a catastrophic failure. Staying on Earth he keeps to himself and helps out anonymously whenever he can until the age of heroes is ushered in by the trinity.

He acts like a pressure valve for Superman's need to do good. Why doesn't Superman share Kryptonian technology with humanity? Icon's story reminds him what happens when you push a people too far, too soon,even with the best of intentions. While Superman is very proactive and socially engaged(as seen Action Comics). Icon could be more reactive and conservative, using his power when there's an absolute need.

And then we'd actually get to see a Black Kryptonian(I'm just sayin')

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@TheCrowbar: I love this idea. I thought I was going to be opposed to a character reboot, but you've convinced me. DC needs to introduce Icon in this manner immediately.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I would love to see Icon in the DCnU but Id rather he wasn't a Kryptonian but Kherabium like Majestic and also give him a different powerset

syoungkeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By syoungkeezy

@TheCrowbar said:

I was thinking about this since the last time we really spoke about Icon on Comicvine. I was thinking maybe Icon could be a Kryptonian who left Krypton decades ago. Feeling he had nothing to contribute to the society there, looking to help less developed societies rise up like Krypton's (Sorta like the ending to the Batman/Superman elseworld series)

Flash forward to a planet that wasn't really prepared for a technological leap like that, they rip each other a part and Icon retires to Earth in hidden shame. He can't go to Krypton, not with his work being such a catastrophic failure. Staying on Earth he keeps to himself and helps out anonymously whenever he can until the age of heroes is ushered in by the trinity.

He acts like a pressure valve for Superman's need to do good. Why doesn't Superman share Kryptonian technology with humanity? Icon's story reminds him what happens when you push a people too far, too soon,even with the best of intentions. While Superman is very proactive and socially engaged(as seen Action Comics). Icon could be more reactive and conservative, using his power when there's an absolute need.

And then we'd actually get to see a Black Kryptonian(I'm just sayin')

you sir are a hero if only comic writers actually read ideas like yours and implemented them

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Thorion88

@TheCrowbar:

Let me just say that's an interesting idea for Icon needless to say and I'd sure read a comic based on it.

dimmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dimmoe

Static and Hardware have already been reintroduced so I would really like to see Icon come in soon or later.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ms__omega

I would love to see that huge fan of the Milestone characters but I doubt they would use him in anything DC has a bad habit of down playing Milestone characters.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Thorion88

@Ms. Omega:

plus, Icon will be downplayed just to make Superman or Wonder Woman look better than him. nothing against those two but the writers have a bad habit of making other powerhouses look bad when they shouldn't be.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jointron33

Keep his origin, the whole point of him was that key differences made him not superman, just similar to him

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Twentyfive

I like your idea, and a black Kryptonian is something I though about before. That could work, since, after all, Icon was made to be the Superman that Black people could appeal to. He was a very three-dimensional character for his time (1990's). He wasn't just an action hero, he was a rather successful lawyer (if my memory doesn't fail me) who had strong conservative beliefs, which among black people is rare, but not unheard of. Comics won't get away with that nowadays, but I can see a story that can run for like 5 issues or so about Icon being persuaded into becoming a hero by Rocket. And the tone of an Icon story should be dark. Not dark as in edgy, but darker than Superman, in that he questions whether humanity is worth protecting in the first place, and how Rocket can show them that despite the fact that they are imperfect, humanity is worth protecting.

A number can dream.

Cool topic btw.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jointron33

Haven't McDuffie's characters gotten screwed over enough?

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlueArrow

personally. I am not really a fan of people from Krypton coming to earth, First superman, then supergirl, then all those people from the phantom zone, and so on. the planet blew up yet why do new kryptonians keep appearing? MY OPINION!!

I'd rather his powers be magical like Shazam's powers, but from a different wizard or something, and have him join justice league Dark. That way, when the Trinity war is upon us, justice league Dark would have a powerhouse, because, honestly, they would get their ass kicked by the actual justice league, with WW, Shazam, and superman. Or THE JLA wit martian manhunter. Basically I'd want him as a magical superman who isn't really a 12 year old boy. And someone who actually knows how powerful he is and would prefer not to use his powers unless he needs to.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jointron33

@BlueArrow: Why retcon his origin AT ALL? Haven't Mcduffie's characters been shat on enough?

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlueArrow

@jointron33: never read an icon story, so I don't really care for him

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Creative ideas, but I don't think you'll see Icon or anyone else introduced as a new Kryptonian. A big part of Superman is being the "last of his kind" which has already been diluted to a degree. There are too many Kryptonians on the scene already (especially after the whole New Krypton craziness a few years ago)

@TheCrowbar said:

I was thinking maybe Icon could be a Kryptonian who left Krypton decades ago.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnightRise

@Twentyfive said:

He wasn't just an action hero, he was a rather successful lawyer (if my memory doesn't fail me) who had strong conservative beliefs, which among black people is rare, but not unheard of. Comics won't get away with that nowadays, but I can see a story that can run for like 5 issues or so about Icon being persuaded into becoming a hero by Rocket. And the tone of an Icon story should be dark. Not dark as in edgy, but darker than Superman, in that he questions whether humanity is worth protecting in the first place, and how Rocket can show them that despite the fact that they are imperfect, humanity is worth protecting.

Call DC now! I'd read that in a heartbeat, and with a strong, well-known creative team, other people will too.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Twentyfive

@KnightRise: Thank you very much. I am glad that you liked my post!

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GLforHIRE

me and my friend were literally just talking yesterday how much icon has been wasted...when DC got his full rights i swore they were gonna make him something of a big deal (hes technically stronger than superman) but since the reboot hes been absent. Even in the young justice cartoon, only been backround scenery on a few episodes...even hardware got more shine helping static

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jointron33: I think the core of the character can still be protected even if he was kryptonian.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By BatteredArmor

Interesting idea, it would certainly make for an interesting story and most likely happen in Superman a major book that would give Icon the public exposure he deserves. It would provide insights into the history, culture, technology ,and lifespan of Krypton. That being said I'm not sold on him being a kryptonian, and while I do like the idea of his origins being touched up I don't think that's the way to go.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mr_Winchester

Not gonna lie, I found out about icon through young justice, since then I've read up on him but am still a little sketchy on the details. Can anyone recommend any good issues to get a scope of his character and his powers? 

I think it would be cool to have him as a non kryptonian who is on par with Supes. The idea of being conservative with his powers  is excellent!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheCrowbar

@BlackArmor: @jointron33:

Because characters without an attachment to more popular characters don't do well in the big two. It's a sad but true fact. Unless Grant Morrison or someone big like him shows up and revitalizes the character and adds his brand( Grant Morrison's brand is himself, his own popularity) to the character, it's unlikely the character will sell well or do well commercially.

FridgeRaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FridgeRaider

Keep ICON Terminian.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By krspaceT

Might as well update his origin, but keep him to the basics

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Black_Claw

Those are some good ideas OP, but I'm really split on the idea of Icon's origin being changed.

Shn275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shn275

OP has an interesting idea, but I very much doubt DC would make him a "black" Kryptonian. Why? Because he would probably be more powerful than Big Blue under a yellow sun seeing as how he would be able to absorb & metabolise more solar energy at a faster rate, and we all know that DC won't allow "certain" characters to be more powerful than their poster boy. That being said, I'd rather they keep his backstory intact, but freshen it up a little.

Personally, I think his origin story has more of an understanding of human struggles with him going through part of America's worst historical events, as opposed to Supes who grew up on a farm. Don't get me wrong, Supes has lost loved ones (as did Icon), a planet, and a species(not really), what else about his backstory gives him an understanding of humanity!?

Priams_Reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't think Icon will get the reconigtion he should. Why? Because there can never be two suns in the sky people will think he's just a spin off of superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.